Automatic powder dispenser

I have been getting on well with reloading for my .308win and .357mag. I have pretty much given up on volume measures as whilst they very convenient, they don't seem to be very accurate. 

I have discovered the unadulterated joy of shooting at 1000yards, but have to make the hottest loads I can to remove the possibility of going trans sonic before reaching the target. Even with a really nice Lyman measure I can't get the weight of powder as accurate as I would like. 

I have decided that I will bite the bullet (pun intended) and cough up for one of the dispensing scale machines, but the cost seems to vary quite a bit. The RCBS Charge master is double the price of the Lyman Gen 6. Is it so much better? I would be very interested to here the views of experience from you guys, before parting with any more of my hard earned.

Cheers

I keep convincing myself I need one of these,,, but when I begin to research to see what particular make/model is the best value, accurate, reliable,ect,, it soon becomes difficult to make any kind of educated choice.:unsure:

I have an older Chargemaster that has performed faultlessly for years. Only upgrade was the Tube Thingy for more accurate final metering. My son recently bought a RCBS Lite and it has been reliable. A measuring test between the two showed that they are metering the same. 

Chargemaster lite or Lyman Gen5 or Gen 6.  All are about on par in performance.  HPS have had their Chargemaster running day in day out for the last 3 or 4 years and it's still going strong.  The only real difference between the Gen 5 and Gen 6 and the Lite and ChargeMaster is that the latter, along with the Gen 5 offer load memory functions whilst the Lite and Gen 6 do not.  If you can live with this then the Lite or Gen 6 are the latest generation of load dispensers and about the best.  There's a big saving on price too over the fully specified machines.

There is one caveat with most of them and that's the load resolution.  They tend to all be to 0.1 grains which is ok, right?  Nope.  Because you don't know if you're loading half a grain over or under sometimes so I trickle up the last 0.1 grain with mine (I set the machine to load to 0.1 grain under than I trickle the last bit until the scale just changes.

Consistency depends on powder used.  Long, uneven extruded powders don't  meter that well with any method as they have a tendency to clump (or have grains cut on throwers).  Something like N133 metres very well using my BR3 thrower to the same accuracy as the electronic dispenser just about every time and is quicker to use, so I use the BR3 for all fine extruded powders and spherical grade powders, and the Gen 6 for everything else.  

since reloading i have  used Hornady Lock n Load scales. and i double check each weight with Hornady Balance Beam Scales.

Both scales are Fantastic.

nick

I have a lee perfect powder measure,, yes I know its a cheap plastic item, however I must of had it close to 25 years and it still throws as accurate charge as when first purchased  9/10 charges being bang on and the odd  tenth out, but   I too still feel the need to "double check" each charge with a certified beam scale. I'm not sure I could happily trust a box of cheap chinese electrics to be 100% reliable or  trustworthy.  I realise many do and with great success, and then there's a few who have negative experiences with all the makes and models available.

I tried all the lee volume type dispensers and then a Lyman, but found that they were all unreliable for accuracy when checked on the scales. I was then using the little spoon for a rough start and trickling the rest into the pan of my cheap electronic scale. I decided that I didn't really trust the electronic scale 100%, so I was going to get a balance beam type, but then thought that the automatic trickling type should be both accurate, quick and convenient.

59 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

I tried all the lee volume type dispensers and then a Lyman, but found that they were all unreliable for accuracy when checked on the scales. I was then using the little spoon for a rough start and trickling the rest into the pan of my cheap electronic scale. I decided that I didn't really trust the electronic scale 100%, so I was going to get a balance beam type, but then thought that the automatic trickling type should be both accurate, quick and convenient.

I must be honest and state when I first used the perfect  measure I had widely varying charges but quickly discovered the trick is to repeat exactly the same action when operating the throw lever. 

59 minutes ago, Ralpharama said:

We all have our likes and dislikes, at the end of the day the one who pulls the trigger has only them self to blame if it goes pair shape. I have used Lee Aniversary beam scales they were my very first scales, but I moved forward and purchased Hornady kit. I have a mixture of kit Rcbs rockchucker press, Hornady scales, Forster dies, I am more than happy with my kit and have no intention to change what I have.

I think that the accuracy and repeatability of ALL thrower scales which cut kernels (and that includes the Lee) depends on more than technique....it depends largely on the type of powder being thrown.  I challenge anyone to throw 20 consecutive charges to an accuracy of 0.1 grains or less using a Lee measure with RS62.  I couldn't and I've been using one for years.  The Gen 6 does it every time (now I've modded the dispenser).  I too keep a beam scale to check the odd one, and also have another electronic scale which I use with trickler and lee scoops when load developing.  That checks against the lyman every time to the exact same measurement.

The only thrower I've had that got repeatable results is my BR3. The Lee isn't bad at all, but it has to be set up right and performance is (like most throwers) dependant upon powder thrown but the BR3 is way better and imho as good as the Harrells if not as fancy.

You pays your money and takes your pick.  There's many ways to spend your money in reloading and you can get accurate, repeatable results for under £50 when it comes to powder measurement and dispensing.  I invested more in the Gen 6 and BR3 because I load a lot (like many others on here), perhaps several hundred rounds a month, and having the options and back-ups I find handy as well as time efficient.

• 4 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 2:36 AM, Ralpharama said:

I have been getting on well with reloading for my .308win and .357mag. I have pretty much given up on volume measures as whilst they very convenient, they don't seem to be very accurate. 

I have discovered the unadulterated joy of shooting at 1000yards, but have to make the hottest loads I can to remove the possibility of going trans sonic before reaching the target. Even with a really nice Lyman measure I can't get the weight of powder as accurate as I would like. 

If by this you mean the Lyman #55 powder measure I'd say that this is the fault. I have owned and given away at least four of these in my life. I have never been able to throw an accurate charge.  A good volume measure can be very accurate. I have two that are particularly accurate: An ancient Seely-Masker and a current Neil Jones Precision. The NJ is THE most accurate volumetric measure i have every used but pricey @ $500 US and a wait time for delivery unless you get lucky. The Harrell a very close second in accuracy and price.

I have no faith in electric metering units and when my Jones will toss stick powder to  +/- .1gr it's hard to justify owing one... or even trickling for that matter.~Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 6:02 PM, Saferider said:

Sorry to OP and going off topic but VarmLR please tell me what’s the mod on the Gen 6 

thx

Sorry for late response...been away...mod is shooting shed "thingy" which screws on the end of the dispenser and improves consistency (accuracy) of dispensing.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived