6.5x47 140 eldm

foxpig

Evening all .

Currently running a 6.5x47 lap with 130 berger vld hunting . With varget and she's shooting sweet.

I've nly got a few tubs of varget left and so I was wanting to try 140 elds for a change and hopefully to get away from varget and the American powders.

I can get reload Swiss stuff and vight fairly regular. 

Has anyone been playing around with the 140 elds lately? 

And would rs 60 or 62 be best bet for the 140s . Some one help me make my mind up please .

Cheers

I've used 140gr amaxs in my 6.5x47 with H4350 and RS 60.they were equally as good accuracy.with RS60 it was 50fps faster on 0.8grs less powder.i loaded the at 39grs of RS60 and never tried going up any further.i wouldn't of thought there was much difference between these bullets.i only used RS60 in a hunting load

Generally because the Hornady bullets are way over priced and availability gets patchy.

in addition, the little Lapua (I'm an owner myself) generally needs those naughty high energy powders to push the heavy 6.5's at reasonable speeds - which kanes your barrel life.

This all being said, quite a few people have found RS62 (not a high energy propellant, unlike RS60 which is Rel 17...a notorious barrel burner) to good effect with 130-140g bullets.

Me, I prefer the 123g Scenar over a stout (but not over pressured) charge of N140 - as both bullet and powder combination are excellent, comparatively cheap and readily available.

57 minutes ago, foxpig said:

Thanks no I deer for your help. Can't believe there aren't more 47 users out there experimenting  with these powders and bullets .

I will move over to another bullet once my 140gr amax stash has nearly dried up.probaly got 700 and 350 ish 139gr scenars.i am looking forward to trying something different.i didn't like the 130gr vld hunting bullets.i had too many pass throughs.H4350 is well suited to the 47.damn shame it' gonnabe unobtainable :wacko:

Am on my last tub :(

22 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Pengo can you quantify your statement. 

130gr bullet 

barrel length 

powder weight?

velocity?

Hi there Scotch egg,

It's a Berger 130gn VLD

31.5" Tru-Flite Target barrel

38.7 RL15

Avg Fps = 2,973

Hope that helps.

Cheers. Paul

22 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I’m shocked at just how long your barrel is. I was hoping to achieve similar velocity however my barrel is 9” shorter than yours. 

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

According to QL you are looking in the region of 2,833 out of a 22" barrel using the same powder volume, but it might be an idea  to work up to that volume, just to be on the safe side, as it is saying you could experience high pessures. That being said, I haven't found any such issues with mine....

Hope this might help.

Cheers. Paul

I remember running a side by side test with a 30" and a 32" pair of identical barrels in 6.5 x 47, which must be going on for ten years ago now.

Using identical loads etc, the 32" was slower.....

I'm getting good results from Hornady SST 140's from a 6.5CM using RS62.  Some are put off by the cannelure but shouldn't be.  They're accurate bullets and a lot cheaper than the 140 ELDs.  The alternative in a cheap high BC bullet is the 139 Scenar which also shoots well in 6.5s using RS62.  I'm getting good accuracy at around 2650fps from a 24" barrel, and there's another accuracy node at around 2750fps from the same barrel length.  

I will try the 123gr scenars once the 139 grainers are gone.I opted for the 139s for the extra BC.it maybe minimal advantage but but an advantage it is.now I have better options for 1000yds switching too the 123s is a no brainer

Archived