UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
maximus otter

40gr V-Max in 20" barrel, 1:12" twist: Powder choice?

You may have seen my thread picturing my new varmint rifle. It's now time to order some reloading kit.

In short it's a Sako 75 Varmint, .223 Rem calibre, with a 20" barrel (shortened by the previous owner). Sako assure me via email that it's a 1:12" twist barrel. I have no idea of the round count.

I fancy using a 40gr V-Max against rabbits, corvids & foxes out to about 300 yards on flat agricultural land.

Question: Which powder to choose? I'm not in a financial position to buy lots of tubs to sample, and I don't have nearby mates who can provide me with an ounce or two to trial. I am considering Vihtavuori N.120 or N.133.

What does the team think?

maximus otter

N133 will do, H322 will do better.

theres still plenty of H322 about as it's  not a powder used in volume. Two tubs would get you 500 + rounds.

N133

Really good choice with 223.  I use it with 60gr Vmax for 3150fps and bug hole groups.

I used N133 with my 40 V-Max, and the combo worked a treat. I don't have the stats to hand, but great velocity, and accuracy.

Hello mate, I've got 133, if you want some to try I can pop some over and you can replace later if you go that way

Cheers

Alan

Viht 133-probably the most popular informed choice of powder from the shooters who really do put accuracy first (100&200 yard Bench Rest).

gbal

23 minutes ago, 20series said:

Hello mate, I've got 133, if you want some to try I can pop some over and you can replace later if you go that way

Cheers

Alan

;)

maximus otter