blaser professional match barrel

I have been considering an Blaser R93 professional with match barrel in 0.308 or 6.5x55 for a bit now. The local range is now gone, so my Trg22 isn't getting too many outings.

I shot only a few small competitions and one or two range days this year. So a dedicated target rifle seems now to be wasted on me .I am therefore looking for something thats light enough for hill stalking yet accurate enough for the odd range day ? A few of my friends have Blasers in various calibers and the all are very happy with them. I think myself they are "a love them or hate them" type rifle. I know of someone with with the match barrel in 6.5x55 and he said its shooting one hole grps with 139 gr lapuas (but I haven't seen it yet).

The other rifle I find interseting is the RPA hunter but its 4kg before scope and bipod. I not really interested in getting a custom build. Any opinions?

This was about the only pic I could find of the blaser.

77529546_full.jpg

Dave ;)

Dave

I`ve never been a fan of the Blazer rifles and they do nothing for me either mechanically or aesthetically.Having said that our foreign cousins seem to like them a lot and they`re becoming more popular over here as time goes by.As you say they`ve got the marmite syndrome

If its a light weight sporter you`re after I`d look at the Sako Finlight as an alternative although obviously this isn`t as versatile as the switch barrel makes.Another alternative is the Sauer which have the switchability and the more conventional rotating bolt.I`ve got a 202 which is extremely accurate with home loads

Huntsman,

I agree with WSM here. I am not a fan of the Blasers either, but I am a fan of SAKOs... my 6.5x55 in the standard 'Hunter' configuration, produces one hole groups with 120gn Sierra Spitzers all day, nothing more than .4inch with anything else that I have shot through it, and it is light enough to carry all day... Plus, it must be cheaper than the Blaser. That said, my SAKO is a 75, so perhaps you may need to hurry and find one as they are getting scarce.

best wishes,

Finman

Huntsman,

I agree with WSM here. I am not a fan of the Blasers either, but I am a fan of SAKOs... my 6.5x55 in the standard 'Hunter' configuration, produces one hole groups with 120gn Sierra Spitzers all day, nothing more than .4inch with anything else that I have shot through it, and it is light enough to carry all day... Plus, it must be cheaper than the Blaser. That said, my SAKO is a 75, so perhaps you may need to hurry and find one as they are getting scarce.

best wishes,

Finman

I too like the sako's and have a tikka t3 in 6.5x55 and while I know that they aren't built quite to the same standards as the sako, it has severed me well . But what I was going to do was to sell both my TRG22 and the T3 and just have one rifle, a bit of an upgrade that would cover both jobs.

Well, I've been down the Blaser road, I've owned 2 and won't own another.

I won't reprise the pro and con arguments -most people seem to make their mind up just on how the concept appeals to them regardless of the advice of others (as was the case with me -it's a bleedin neat concept!).

What I will say is that the second light-striking piece of sh!t (oops, sorry, said I wouldn't reprise the issue :D ) I mean the second R93; that is: not my first light striking one in which the chamber had been cut shorter than CIP min spec (oops, there I go again!); well, it had the jagdmatch fluted heavy barrel.

It was in 243, and one thing I have to say is, that on the occasions it did fire, it would absolutely put all the bullets in one hole; I mean literally bench rest accuracy -with Federal Classic ;) !

From there I went down the Sauer 202 route, owned 2 of those too. Proper rifles -they fire every time you pulled the trigger! (with the added bonus that you don't visualise failing collets at each discharge ).

Although they've both now gone and I now stalk with an 18lb rifle, so further advice from me is of little relevance! :lol:

...but when I'm too old, fat and lazy to drag that girder around, I think I'd be going for a stainless lightweight Tikka T3; one of my pals stalks and plinks with the thumbhole RPA you mention...and I just can't bring myself to like it -the action just doesn't feel properly finished to my mind -rather as though it's being sold at a pre-production prototype stage that never quite had the final design finish touches applied - I'd strongly recommend getting hands-on before committing cash .

I bet that adds to the adrenalin rush when facing a charging pig then Matt :lol: Wondering whether you`re going to hear a bang or click ;)

Absolutely! I notice they even sell a dangerous game version of the R93....that takes buffalo from 'dangerous' to 'extreme' sport :D

Heres another vote for Sakos, i've got three in my cupboard now, a 75, an 85, a TRG-S and an old Finnbear. All I would say is, if weight is an issue and you intend to go for a lighter rifle then you have to go for the higher end manufacturers. Its rare to find a cheaper, light rifle that shoots well. If you are used to the precision of a heavy, quality rifle then you will inevitably be disapointed with a light one that doesn't group so well even if its still more than adequate for wild deer stalking. I went down this road with a Rem Model Seven years ago, loved the rifle but because it wasn't that accurate and the zero was effected by adding or removing the bipod I never used it much. My 85 is the laminated stainless fluted varmint version and I am very pleased with it, a great combination of weight, size, accuracy etc. I can't really comment on the Blasers, a friend of mine had one and really rated it but now he seems to have gone off it, not sure why. One point about the Sauers, I see quite a few owners (admittedly, occaisional stalkers) who are confused by the safety system and the idea of pokeing and pushing inside the trigger guard seems less than ideal. I also see people confused by the Mannlicher SBS safety system. JC

I've just re-read Brown Dogs comment about the RPA's in his final paragraph and I couldn't agree more. Seems to be a lack of attention to detail in the final stages. A mate of mine has one, one day the moderator was a bit stiff to unscrew and when he used a little more effort the mod' didn't move but the barrel started to unscrew instead! When he spoke to the salesman (who I think is now dwelling at Her Majestys pleasure - but that could be an unfounded rumour!) he said that they have had quite a few do that and he was unconcerned! Having said that, the accuracy is very good as long as you take along a Sherpa to carry it! JC

Blaser,,,,

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :blink:

but the barrel started to unscrew instead! When he spoke to the salesman (who I think is now dwelling at Her Majestys pleasure - but that could be an unfounded rumour!) he said that they have had quite a few do that and he was unconcerned!

JC,

Blimey, my pal's RPA barrel was only on hand-tight too :blink: ...I'd assumed it was one of those Friday things..didn't realise that was standard RPA quality control!

As for the 202s, I really liked them, particularly once I'd had them ilafloned (before that was a factory option) and ditched the apel mounts in favour of warne weaver 2-piece bases and badger rings (I notice Sauer now also offer integral weaver bases from factory); personally, no probs with the safety ....the one thing I didn't like was the removable forend -it only just freefloated; and usually you couldn't get them back on dead straight (ie 2mm free float on one side, and the thickness of a piece of paper free float on the other - and that includes the laminated forend of the 300wm Alaska model I had)....both were routinely sub 0.75 MOA ...the 300wm would do 0.5MOA when I hung onto it tight......only reason I sold them was to pay for my girder.

Hand tight makes for very easy barrel changes - always a silver lining to any cloud! :D

The LRS 11 is a decent system so long as you feed it factory of FL resized reloads, but I have heard a few too many tales of failed bolts to consider one myself.

The guys who won one of the tac comps in Czech Republic last year were using LRS 11's, never seen one that wasnt accurate - even the standard R93's, just not taken with the bolt :blink:

Thanks lads for the all the info maybe its back to the drawing board for a bit. Liked the RPA comments bit scary that the barrels come with an option that they didn't even plan. I saw them at the CLA, they are a bit raw but are supposed to be tack drivers at price.

Dave

Archived