.223 barrel cleaning

Evening all.

I'm about to pick up my first .223, I've had and have various centrefires, but never this one before. I seem to remember reading somewhere recently that the barrel needs regular fussy cleaning or accuracy becomes a problem similar to the hmr. Is this correct? My 22-250 really seems quite indifferent to it.

223 isn't any more fussy imho than my 6.5 or .308.

Depends on the barrel, what bullets are used and what propellants are used.  If you shoot clean burning single base like Viht N133, a de-carbon using KG1 after each outing is generally all you need in between de-coppering which I do on mine every 75 rounds.   The accuracy starts dropping off with mine if left much longer.  Make sure to use a decent bore guide and one piece rod.  KG1 I've found to be the best of the carbon removing chemicals that doesn't contain anything too nasty or aggressive.  Also ensure that you clean bolt lug recesses and swab chamber out.  You can use an old toothbrush to clean lug recess or buy something like the Sinclair bolt recess and action cleaning kit.

15 hours ago, 17 Rem said:

Why would you not clean it after every outing? 

I would ask the same question? I always clean all my firearms (rifle and shotgun) after use, irrespective of the rounds shot.

Each to their own, I suppose.

8 hours ago, geek said:

I would ask the same question? I always clean all my firearms (rifle and shotgun) after use, irrespective of the rounds shot.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Indeed. So many used rifles are pitted through neglect, I am just bemused that people don’t bother. Pushing a patch with some solvent on it through a bore really isn’t that hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways, bitching aside.

I picked up the howa today, cleaned the barrel before putting a round through it. Wasn't actually necessary as it was clean as a whistle.

With hornandy 40 grn vmax clover leaf groups easily achieved at 100 yds, however I decided to try some Norma 50,s again vmax heads, these did not group half as well so I went back to the hornandy, now it would only produce touching groups but nearer to an inch.

Gave the barrel a good run through with the brush and solvent and plenty of patches, I will see if things are back to clover leaf tomorrow with the hornandy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 9:31 PM, mole trapper said:

Anyways, bitching aside.

I picked up the howa today, cleaned the barrel before putting a round through it. Wasn't actually necessary as it was clean as a whistle.

With hornandy 40 grn vmax clover leaf groups easily achieved at 100 yds, however I decided to try some Norma 50,s again vmax heads, these did not group half as well so I went back to the hornandy, now it would only produce touching groups but nearer to an inch.

Gave the barrel a good run through with the brush and solvent and plenty of patches, I will see if things are back to clover leaf tomorrow with the hornandy.

Was it a new rifle and did you run it in?

On 22/03/2018 at 9:48 PM, palo said:

You should always clean your barrel when switching from one brand of ammo to another. 

???

If I fired 10 rounds of Vmax down my freshly cleaned barrel and then switched to TMKs, I'd feel no compunction to touch the barrel as I'm sure it doesn't know, or care for that matter, what I'm firing down it.  I clean routinely after each outing as I always have, but "outing" for me is anything from 1 to 75 rounds.  Why would you want to clean after switching ammo if you've a box or less down the barrel?

Archived