Redding decapping die query.

ezmobile

Hello all.

I'm in a bit of a quandary about using a Redding Decapping Die (small) # 69100.

Please go easy on me if this is a really stoopid question and I've missed something obvious, but I've been using this bit of kit for quite a while now on .308 win cases with no problem. Then last night, for the first time, I tried to decap some 6.5 Creedmoor brass, only to find that only the pin itself gets past the case mouth, as the part that holds the pin in place at the end of the rod (pin holder?) has a wider diameter than the case mouth! Is this right? I thought this die was able to decap a wide range of cases and I'm not exactly trying to stuff a 50 BMG up it.

WHAT EXACTLY AM I MISSING HERE. :unsure:  

Is it, Lapua brass your decapping? if it is they need the 1.5mm pin rather than the more usual 2mm pin, Spud sells them on his Site.

Kev

No, its Hornady brass, but its not the size of the flash hole thats the problem, the problem is that whatever holds the actual pin to the end of the rod (some kind of collet presumably)  is too wide to pass through the mouth of the case, in other words, its narrow enough to pass inside a .308 case mouth but too wide to get through a 6.5 mouth.

I may have to take the circlip off the top of the rod, drop the rod out and have a butchers at it to see whats going on!

I use the Redding 69100 Small Decapping Die and have just checked the spare 69275 Decapping Rod - Small and the diameter of the Primer removing part is only 1.42mm in diameter, with the slightly larger body diameter of 4.72mm.  I have no problem with either of my 6.5CM Hornady or Lapua Small Primer Cases, therefore I cannot under stand what might be your problem.  Please check to see if you have bent the Decapping Rod?

Cheers MarkR, it looked alright to me last night, but I'll double check it over the w/end. I should have brought it into work today (engineering workshop) to look at it properly, put it in a vice, and smash it up if its not right - well, thats what I normally do when problem solving!:lol:

:blush:PROBLEM SOLVED!

Taking a look up inside the die this morning I could see a flat, brass coloured piece of metal with the decapping pin protruding through it, which I assumed was a kind of collet holding the pin to the rod. Wrong! When I took the  circlip off and dropped the rod out of the body what was actually on the end of the rod, with the pin through the base of it, was a ".22lr case" !! 

My only guess it that somehow a empty .22lr case had found its way "inside" one of my fired .308 cases, and when I was decapping it the .22lr case was speared, perfectly through the middle by the decapping pin, but then got stuck on it with the pin protruded out through the base, which then prevented it entering the neck of a 6.5 Creedmoor case. God, you couldn't make it up - or actually do it if you tried to...... 

It is good to hear that you found out what the problem was.  The worrying thing is that you now need to check all your cases before reloading to make sure they are all clear of foreign objects.

Yeah, you're right there mate. I still can't quite believe what happened there though. Still, its an even bigger excuse for me to get rid of my little CZ rimfire.

Oh, and thanks for not taking the P***:lol:

Archived