Brass

Reloader54

In asking various friends about which  brass they use it would seem Lapua has a good rep, with many others favouring  Federal,win, Norma, and so on , one that seems to be the "Marmite" brand is  prvi partizan  or PPU as it's commonly called. as I shall be looking to purchase more brass soon it would be helpful/just plain 'ol interesting to see what anyone here has to say/recommend. 

When I first started out loading the .223 I bought 300 once fired mixed brass (mostly Winchester and Federal) from someone who was well regarded.

I reloaded the same brass for ten years, with all manner of loads, and had no issues at all, some of the brass doing 20+ reloads in that time.

Over time I added Norma, SAKO, Nosler (again once fired) and some RP that I used for my DSC1, and could see nothing different in the performance of the finished loads, albeit I am not target shooting other than the occasional extended zeroing session out to 400 Yds.

Eventually I bought some new Lapua brass, and some PPU and began to throw the FC and Winchester away as I was loosing a few each time they were fired.

The PPU are now the main work horse and get the most abuse. The Lapua are reserved for target work, for no reason other than I only use them for one load.

Of all the brands I have tried my favorite brass has been the Winchester for general hunting loads. I found it to be thinner and softer than any of the other brands, it stress anneals well, and is very easy to work (trim, size etc). I find PPU harder (thicker) than any other brand, a pig to work with (shoulder bumping is particularly hit and miss) and they require far more annealing than any other brand, but accurate enough once the load is right.

Unless you are target shooting, where you can find all the spent cases, I would go for something that you don't mind loosing the odd case, or have one case for range work and another for hunting.

16 minutes ago, cooter said:

Of all the brands I have tried my favorite brass has been the Winchester for general hunting loads. I found it to be thinner and softer than any of the other brands, it stress anneals well, and is very easy to work (trim, size etc). I find PPU harder (thicker) than any other brand, a pig to work with (shoulder bumping is particularly hit and miss) and they require far more annealing than any other brand, but accurate enough once the load is right.

Winchester have always made some ofthe best brass available and their .223 stuff has some of the very best features inc its strength and light weight.

While it's true they can do with a little bit of prep from time to time, they're still hard to beat

However market and reloading trends, as well as a little bit of snobbery tends to keep people away from them these days

Archived