Which PM11 to buy?

RAW

Hi Folks,

After many years of thinking about getting myself a custom rifle, I ended up going for an AI AT in .260 cal, this is mainly used for me doing long range plinking and some vermin work. Although I have been shooting for over 30 years I have alot to learn about ballistics and working out dope etc etc, a friend hand loads all my ammo for deer and fox. So this will be a new learning phase in my life and looking forward to dialling in etc and working out wind etc etc.

So the AI project needs a scope for long range initially it was I wanted to be able to shoot out to 1 mile this was with 6.5x284 but changed to .260 so happy to shoot out to 1000 mtrs now possibly more. So I have decided on another PM2 scope and stuck between 3-20x50 or 5-25x56, Sporting services are doing a good deal on the 3-20 at the moment but hanging on, I don't want to buy something and then wish I had bought something else. 

So which would you go for and why?

I checked out other scopes at the shot show and definately happy with the S&B over other manufacturers.

Look forward to your replies

Whatever one you buy, make sure it's the FFP and look for the finer rets like the P4L fein if for longer range precision work. 

FFP at least allows you to call the shot and make instant corrections as the ret and the turrets are true to each other at all mags.

Just bought one myself and saved a ton of cash by forgoing things like zero-stop.  Glass is fabulous at max mag, so in your shoes I'd probably take the 5-25 x 56 just for the extra legs at distance.

28 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

Whatever one you buy, make sure it's the FFP and look for the finer rets like the P4L fein if for longer range precision work. 

FFP at least allows you to call the shot and make instant corrections as the ret and the turrets are true to each other at all mags.

Just bought one myself and saved a ton of cash by forgoing things like zero-stop.  Glass is fabulous at max mag, so in your shoes I'd probably take the 5-25 x 56 just for the extra legs at distance.

Okay, yes definately ffp was not sure which reticle but thanks for the heads up!

P4 Fine. Both are good scopes. I went for 5-25 x56 over 10 years ago. Was that pleased with it I bought another for my 6.5. Good solid scopes imo worth every penny. There are some good threads on the go on this topic in the scopes sub section you might find useful as well. Enjoy your new toy. M.

I've said this on another thread, but I'd go with the H2CMR reticle over a P3 mil-dit,  P4 fein or newer MSR.

At longer ranges, the finer 0.2MIL increments are much more useful for fine adjustments & wind calls than all of the other reticles which use coarser 0.5MIL increments. 

Ive heard some say the H2CMR is a bit busy for them, but when actually behind the scope, the reticle is slick, very intuitive and extremely easy to use and make those small adjustments. 

Personally, I too would favour the FFP 5-25x56 and I'd just go all out for a double turn, 1cm clicks. Don't bother with the US military MTC locking turrets as they're crap - just get the regular turrets.

They have some decent offers on with PM2s at the minute and I think have one or maybe two PMii PL P4F CW CM models left (DT turrets).  I would have preferred the CCW turrets but at the price on offer,  they're a bit of a bargain.

38 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

They have some decent offers on with PM2s at the minute and I think have one or maybe two PMii PL P4F CW CM models left (DT turrets).  I would have preferred the CCW turrets but at the price on offer,  they're a bit of a bargain.

what does CW and Cm stand for?

3 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

CM means centimetres, so it's a Milrad turret and CW means elevation (up) is clockwise.  They have counter clockwise in stock too.

Ok thanks! Yes would need to be CM clicks for sure, will give them a bell tomorrow. cheers

Ask them about the other reticles. I bought my H2CMR (also a CW, DT). Same price as the P3 and P4L - they just order it in. 

i chose CW elevation as it's easier to go 'up' in clockwise with your right hand (if right handed) as you use the same hand for both elevation and windage (more efficient than swapping hands). 

It's a Schmidt - built to last and is of excellent quality, so you'll be a happy bunny regardless. ?

I went for the 3-20 with 1 cm clicks on my 260, P4 fine ret. it’s more than capable of 1000m. I like the .2 mil hashmarks more measuring missed shots, helps with the dope and wind calls. In a spuhr 6 mil cant mount and 140 gr bullets it’s barely using 10 mil of the elevation.

Didn’t go 5-25 as it’s just that bigger and heavier, also didn’t see what I was getting for the extra (weight/size/cash) when compared it to 3-20.  If you can, look thru both at a range and see which grabs you. 

I also shoot deer with it and the illuminated centre cross comes in handy at first & last. No idea if the 5-25 comes with that?

Go for it and enjoy!

Everyone's eyes are different.  I prefer to have the extra mag when shooting much over 800 yards, so ordered the 5-25.  My Nightforce is always used at 22x and my other scopes close to the top of their mag ranges.  The advantage that the PMii enjoys over a good many scopes is that it's clarity and resolution at max mag are superb, not just usable but superb.  

For hunting or when we ever get out of this winter and temps pick up, often mirage can be problematical when up much above 18 to 20x and last year, I remember shooting on one afternoon where it was pointless zooming much over 17 or 18x but such days seem to be rare in the UK!  If you were after one scope to do it all, the 3-20 would make a lot of sense.  Good for closer in woodland hunting;  very good twighlight factor and FOV but more than capable enough for 1000 yards.  For extra precision at longer ranges, the 25 remains imho the one to go for. I've tried higher mag scopes but unless BR shooting, I found that the extra shake and lessening FOV were more of a pain than the higher mags were a boon.

Cheers folks, I have settled on the 5-25x56 now heading towards the P4 reticle, but will keep my eyes open on what optics warehouse is selling.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have an AI AT and I went for an S&B 12-50x56 PMII with P4F reticle, however, mine is SFP since I shoot at known distances. My only comment on the scope is that in some circumstances I do find the reticle a little too fine. The rifle is used for everything from McQueens to F-Class at distances from 100yrds-1000yrds.

Archived