New dies

stephentri

Hi looking for some recommendations on new dies iam looking at forster full length bench rest set, and Redding premium full length set, I am not going to be neck turning for this rifle so I don't see the need to go with bushing dies. I would be grateful for your feedback on such dies.

VarmLR, something you said there about interchangable plugs, i purchased a set Redding premium dies from Spud reloading for my 6.5 CM only just started reloading for this when i had my first problem, when trying to seat the Projectile into the Case i have run out of adjustment My COAL for a 147 ELD M is 2.800 but the closest i can get is 2.965 something is wrong and i am waiting for an answer from Mark ( Spud ) but it sounds like i might have something missing, what do you think?

Kevgun

4 hours ago, Triffid said:

My set-up is:

Redding Body Die

Lee Neck-sizing collet Die

Forster Benchrest or Micrometer Seating die, depending on how much I intend to play with seating depth.

I will often use the Lee Factory Crimp Die as well, depending on whether it improves or worsens accuracy!

Triffid

+1

And I'm experimenting with honed Forster FL dies too. I'm hoping they might speed up the process without working the brass too much.

5 minutes ago, Guesty said:

+1

And I'm experimenting with honed Forster FL dies too. I'm hoping they might speed up the process without working the brass too much.

I was using a  Redding competition neck die and a body die.

My fired 308 case necks measured around .345. When I sized them with a .336 bushing it increased runout so I done it in two stages with a .340 and then a .336 bushing, then I body sized them. That meant I had to  run each case through a die 3 times to size it. 

With the honed forster die I only have to size the case once and I'm getting little to no runout. 

2 hours ago, palo said:

I was using a  Redding competition neck die and a body die.

My fired 308 case necks measured around .345. When I sized them with a .336 bushing it increased runout so I done it in two stages with a .340 and then a .336 bushing, then I body sized them. That meant I had to  run each case through a die 3 times to size it. 

With the honed forster die I only have to size the case once and I'm getting little to no runout. 

You only need one die, a full length die set up correctly to bump the shoulder by 2 tho and size the neck all in one go no messing about with 3 dies 

1 hour ago, stephentri said:

You only need one die, a full length die set up correctly to bump the shoulder by 2 tho and size the neck all in one go no messing about with 3 dies 

Please excuse my ignorance, but how did you go about doing this? I have a Hornady custom 3 die set. The usual FL, Neck sizing and seating with a Hornady micrometer seating die. Granted, nothing like as good as a Forster. The 1 thou increments are almost touching!....   I can get a Forster Comp Seater for my 6.5CM, but have no idea how to go about getting a Forster 'honed FL forster die'. How do i go about it, and how do i get the required 'honed' dimensions?? Or will they do that for me? Constructive opinions appreciated.   

Cheers.                                                                                                     

1 hour ago, chaz said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but how did you go about doing this? I have a Hornady custom 3 die set. The usual FL, Neck sizing and seating with a Hornady micrometer seating die. Granted, nothing like as good as a Forster. The 1 thou increments are almost touching!....   I can get a Forster Comp Seater for my 6.5CM, but have no idea how to go about getting a Forster 'honed FL forster die'. How do i go about it, and how do i get the required 'honed' dimensions?? Or will they do that for me? Constructive opinions appreciated.   

Cheers.                                                                                                     

You can send a few fired cases to forster or you can do what I did which was to measure the outside neck diameter of a  loaded round that you made up with the dies you have now.  Forster recommend that you subtract 4 or 5 thou from this reading and order the neck honed to that. They say 4 to 5 thou to allow for different brands of brass etc.  I only use lapua brass so my loaded neck diameter was .338 so I got the neck honed to .335 and it works perfect.  You can use the expander to open up the neck slightly if needed.   If you order from their website they have  a box where you can put in the honed dimension that you want. 

2 hours ago, stephentri said:

Yes. But a full length die will work the neck too much, it will size the neck a lot smaller than needed then open it up again with the expander and possibly pulling the neck off centre. The honed neck does away with this. 

Archived