Can this be right?

VarmLR

I initially thought that the IOR Recons coarse reticle was a result of the 4x lower end. 4-28x is quite a span for an FFP scope.

I never really thought that the ‘too fine at low mag/too thick at high mag’ argument concerning FFP reticles held much water - but the IOR Recon changed my mind. There is definitely a limit to how much you can scale an FFP reticle.

I think that there’s also an argument that the IOR is a tactical/military thoroughbred, and the ret will be designed with the same considerations as many dawn/dusk hunting scopes. Certainly the illumination on my Recon is only really daylight visible at the 11 setting.

With regards to glass quality, and whether you actually NEED it or not, I think it all comes down to how much you enjoy your shooting. You can watch David Attenborough on the type of TV that Tesco sells, or you can pop in to John Lewis and pony up for a 4K beast with state of art Dolby surround sound speakers. It’s the same content, but the two experiences will be worlds apart. And it’s very easy to become ‘spoilt’.

For me, especially now that I’ve got my calibre/rifle sorted, the glass is the single largest factor in determining how much I ENJOY my shooting. Shooting three different scopes will give me three entirely different experiences, even although all other things are equal. Something as simple as eye-box can easily force you into an uncomfortable/unfamiliar position at either ends of the mag scale, and in my experience it’s difficult to know what’s going to work for you until you’ve gotten down behind the rifle and put it through it’s paces over a good few different sessions.

Spending money on top glass isn’t going to make me a better shooter, but it is going to make me a happier shooter - and ultimately that’s surely what it’s all about?

I didn't need to mount it.  Out of the box, rested on a shooting bag next to my rifle with a DMR mounted to it, the DMR was much MUCH better with way lower chromatic aberration.  A scope doesn't have to be mounted on a rifle to see that.  As a result of this, feeding back to the supplier resulted in them checking their other stock of M5xi scopes and they found the same thing.  They are sending the whole lot back and refusing to take any more in as they agree with my findings.

As a complete contrast, I now have a PM2 mounted to my 6.5 and it's in another league (better).  The fine ret is also perfect at full mag (unlike the IORs) being only 0.035Mrad ret thickness (3.5mm at 100m or 3.5cm/1000m which is plenty fine enough for me).

Archived