Thumbhole stock for custom build

dashed

Currently in the process of putting together a spec for a custom build stalking rifle - most likely on a Big Horn or Borden action, so inletting shouldn't be an issue.

I've always had a fancy for a thumbhole but recently handled a mcmillan lazzeroni and it just didn't fit at all - quite a cant on the pistol grip meant that the stock was far from level when mounted. Obviously I won't order something without trying it, but a couple of questions:

1) how much less of a cant does the standard mcmillan have? A Sako 75 stock fits me nicely, so I'm not a strange shape - is a standard mcmillan T/H likely to be similar in overall dimensions / cast etc?

2) what else is out there that I should look at?

My previous rifle was a Tikka 595 in a Manners GAT thumb hole stock. 

I rate Manners well above McMillan for quality and value for money. Very sturdy, not overly heavy. The grip was a nice angle but could have been a bit beefier ( I have big hands) but that's just personal preference. I thought the stock was well balanced, very rigid (no flex, bend or compression at the forend) and it was slim - suitable for target or stalking. 

The Hollands signature thumbhole stock and the Manners GAT seem very similar in appearance and grip design, however the Holland seems to lack any comb/cheek riser, whereas the Manners GAT gives you a decent amount. Personally I would have preferred a little more comb height but I was using a 20MOA picatinny rail with a medium Era Tac QD one-piece mount, so quite a high setup. The Manners comb would probably have been perfect as is had I used a lower rail/mount setup. 

On 23/02/2018 at 2:55 PM, dashed said:

Currently in the process of putting together a spec for a custom build stalking rifle - most likely on a Big Horn or Borden action, so inletting shouldn't be an issue.

I've always had a fancy for a thumbhole but recently handled a mcmillan lazzeroni and it just didn't fit at all - quite a cant on the pistol grip meant that the stock was far from level when mounted. Obviously I won't order something without trying it, but a couple of questions:

1) how much less of a cant does the standard mcmillan have? A Sako 75 stock fits me nicely, so I'm not a strange shape - is a standard mcmillan T/H likely to be similar in overall dimensions / cast etc?

2) what else is out there that I should look at?

I appreciate this might be stating the obvious but but if you allow your wrist to work with the cant rather than against it then the stock will be level and your wrist wont be as stressed.

I think the McMillan Lazzeroni is a very comfortable stock to shoot and just like a GRS the cant of the pistol grip becomes one of the best features once you get used to it. Of course we are all different in terms of taste but I do wonder if you used the Lazzeroni a bit if you wouldn't grow to love it? 

I think its one of the most comfortable thumbhole stocks out there especially for a lightweight rifle.

Cheers for the thoughts, but I really couldn’t get on with the lazzeroni - just didn’t suit me at all, wasn’t just a case of twisting my wrist, I couldn’t get it to sit right in the shoulder. I’m going to try and find a std McMillan thumbhole to try. Will also look at manners...

12 hours ago, David Hancock said:

I was very impressed by Form Rifle stocks at the Shooting Show. I was going to order one.

I do like the look of these but wanted a synthetic stock rather than laminate.

Been looking into the Holland’s Signature series and really like the look of them. Anyone know if there is a uk distributor or how I get one over here? Website says they don’t ship outside of US and struggling to get in touch with them direct.

The size of your hands is also critical.    I went for a laminated walnut stock and had the smith hand carve it,  luckily my hands were the same size as his, small !!.

A

Archived