Case tumbling with steel pins

1 hour ago, phaedra1106uk said:

I've used a Thumblers and the better made Rebel 17 version of it and now use a Frankford Arsenal 7L tumbler.

If you want to come have a look at it I'm just down the road from you in Durham :)

Cheers bonny lad.   After checking it out on the internet it is a bit too large for what I need but thanks for the info.

One word of advice if you are planning on tumbling 6.5 cases is,make sure the pins are the correct length, The standard pins that came with my Thumblers are just the right size to jam across the neck opening stopping other pins going in, and as well as not allowing the cases to be cleaned properly inside its a proper pain in the arse having to pull the pins out of most of the cases with long nosed pliers 

I had a mullock with a rotary tumbler one Imperial meeting.

The pins got stuck in the flash hole, unbeknown to me.They were not visible from the rear, and I loaded 600 rds up.

Half way through the first detail, the AR would not go into battery, so I gave the handle a couple of slaps. When I fired the case, a piece of pin rolled out and sat in the barrel extension, and I spotted it.

The pin had come out of the case, but the one before it that caused the stoppage, got hammered into the shoulder in the chamber, denting it , in 3 places and gouged the chamber.

I stopped and bought some GGG for the rest of the week.

Has I been unlucky enough to end up with a pin in front of the bullet, I have no doubt the barrel would have let go.

Upon pulling the ammo, I found around 30 had 2 pieces of media, firmly wedged in the flash hole, inside the case.

Stopped using it, along with the fact that the pins got stuck in 6.5 case necks.

A far better mousetrap, is the LEM stainless tumbler. It uses much finer pins, they don't get stuck, and its 10 times as fast

It also doesn't peen the case mouths.

2 hours ago, baldie said:

I had a mullock with a rotary tumbler one Imperial meeting.

The pins got stuck in the flash hole, unbeknown to me.They were not visible from the rear, and I loaded 600 rds up.

Half way through the first detail, the AR would not go into battery, so I gave the handle a couple of slaps. When I fired the case, a piece of pin rolled out and sat in the barrel extension, and I spotted it.

The pin had come out of the case, but the one before it that caused the stoppage, got hammered into the shoulder in the chamber, denting it , in 3 places and gouged the chamber.

I stopped and bought some GGG for the rest of the week.

Has I been unlucky enough to end up with a pin in front of the bullet, I have no doubt the barrel would have let go.

Upon pulling the ammo, I found around 30 had 2 pieces of media, firmly wedged in the flash hole, inside the case.

Stopped using it, along with the fact that the pins got stuck in 6.5 case necks.

A far better mousetrap, is the LEM stainless tumbler. It uses much finer pins, they don't get stuck, and its 10 times as fast

It also doesn't peen the case mouths.

Cheers for the info Baldie.

After some thought what I believed was the way forwards in case cleaning with steel pins etc,  I have decided to stick with cleaning the outside with 0000 wire wool and giving the case neck a quick brush out to keep a carbon lining to ensure a slick seating of the bullet.   It sounds a bit too much trouble fiddling with water, straining and ensuring that all of the steel pins come out of each case.    I usually only fire about 32 rounds in a competition.    So thanks to everyone to took the time to offer either to view their tumbler or suggested an alternative,  many thanks Gents.

Archived