FAC and re-barrelling of rifle

Hobbit

Hi - I have been having some rather convoluted conversations about switch barrel rifles and which bits constitute the actual rifle and which bits do not

Got me thinking 

If you re-barrel a rifle on your FAC do you need to do a one for one FAC variation??

If you were to scrap a shot out blaser barrel with one of same caliber presumably you would have to do the one for one variation as it is a separate listed component - does this also apply to fixed barrel rifles?

Thanks

Hobbit

My experience is that if you have an ordinary fixed-barrel rifle rebarrelled in the same chambering, nothing changes on your FAC.

However, if you have one rebarrelled in a different chambering, you declare that rifle as transferred to the 'smith and apply for a one-for-one variation for the new chambering. When the job is done, the 'smith signs the rifle in its new chambering onto your FAC. I this case, it clearly pays to discuss the change with the FLD in advance, so that there is no unpleasant surprise in the form of the variation request being turned down for whatever reason.

With Blasers etc. I've no idea.

understood - What I mean is - if I have say an AR15 type rifle and I wanted you to rebarrel it in the same caliber and keep/scrap the old barrel - do I need a one for one variation or can you fit the barrel to the registered rifle and deal with the barrel??

13 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

understood - What I mean is - if I have say an AR15 type rifle and I wanted you to rebarrel it in the same caliber and keep/scrap the old barrel - do I need a one for one variation or can you fit the barrel to the registered rifle and deal with the barrel??

You give it to me and I do that for you as a repair and scrap the old one for you, no need for a variation

Great - that was where I was going

Basically I have a couple of fixed barrel rifles where I will likely want to upgrade the barrels in the future and, unless there is some resale value issue which even then I am not sure I can be bothered with, I will likely hand over to an appropriate gunsmith and get the job done.

The good news is that this sounds like a repair not a like for like firearms transaction so no need for mucking about with a variation

However for with barrel rifles where the barrel itself is listed on the licence I think I would need the one for one variation order

Thank you braiders, Vortex and all

Braiders is an expert in platting hair to the most exacting standards in all the most fashionable contemporary styles and a well known authority on UK firearms law - a polymath and true renaissance man

I'm somewhat surprised you don't know him Bradders, I had been led to understand that your were distantly related

I was told by a FLO that the only time a variation was required for a barrel change in the same caliber was if the barrel had a serial number on it and that number was listed on your FAC. 

Even Joe Public can chamber his own barrel and replace it if he has the skills/facilities and so long as he destroys the old barrel before chambering his new one then everything is fine. He doest have any more barrels or anything different to what he has permission for, the condition of the inside of a rifle barrel (ie new) is of no relevance to anything from a licensing or firearms law stand point. Handing the work over to a rifle builder who destroys your old barrel and returns you your rifle with a new barrel fitted in the same caliber and without need for a variation is common practice.

Firearms departments dont need to be bothered with trivia like this when most of them have too long a delay on renewals and variations as things stand.

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

I was told by a FLO that the only time a variation was required for a barrel change in the same caliber was if the barrel had a serial number on it and that number was listed on your FAC. 

Even Joe Public can chamber his own barrel and replace it if he has the skills/facilities and so long as he destroys the old barrel before chambering his new one then everything is fine. He doest have any more barrels or anything different to what he has permission for, the condition of the inside of a rifle barrel (ie new) is of no relevance to anything from a licensing or firearms law stand point. Handing the work over to a rifle builder who destroys your old barrel and returns you your rifle with a new barrel fitted in the same caliber and without need for a variation is common practice.

Firearms departments dont need to be bothered with trivia like this when most of them have too long a delay on renewals and variations as things stand.

You can stamp the old number on the new barrel if required, so in that case you'd only need a variation if a serial number was changing

Archived