30" barrel on Tikka T3 6.5x55

Bitsiboo

Hi all,

replacing standard 20" barrel on a Tikka T3 Varmint with a 30" pacnor heavy match barrel. 

1:8 twist so will shoot 140 gr scenars through it. Having it done to shoot 1000yds +

but no ideas about loads- any good recipes out there? Thanks for your thoughts!

Matt

11 hours ago, Bitsiboo said:

Hiya Stephen 

thanks for your response. What is eldm and what grains for your powder?

as I under stand it better to have slower burning powders in longer tubes.

I don't have the barrel on the rifle yet so don't know what weight of powder I will be using yet. ELD-M is a bullet made by hornady

18 hours ago, banus02 said:

out of interest ,wont the 20"tikka 6.5x55 with 140gr bullets reach a 1000 yards ? i dont shoot past 300 but do use tikka t3 6.5x55 

18 hours ago, banus02 said:

out of interest ,wont the 20"tikka 6.5x55 with 140gr bullets reach a 1000 yards ? i dont shoot past 300 but do use tikka t3 6.5x55 

Hi banus

yes it does but not accurately and on a windy day struggles to make it on the paper at 1000yds. The problem being adding more powder really shows signs of pressure on the case. At 200m it's sub moa. The guys I shoot with all have longer heavier barrels and it shows in the consistency of their results. 

11 hours ago, stephentri said:

I don't have the barrel on the rifle yet so don't know what weight of powder I will be using yet. ELD-M is a bullet made by hornady

Ok I ll look at that bullet- I'm gathering info for my initial loads. Thanks 

11 hours ago, stephentri said:

Archived