Sellier and bellot 6.5 creedmoor

On 5/27/2018 at 10:28 PM, VarmLR said:

I don't know if you've considered RS62, but I'm managing considerably higher velocities than that behind 139 Scenars, albeit for a considerably higher load!  Were you experiencing pressure signs if loading up higher than 35gr using N150?  35.5 seems to be quite a light load compared with RS62 loads.  I also find velocities about 100fps down in LR brass.

What is your RS62 load with the 139gr and what velocity does that produce ?

21 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

What length barrel? 

I find people always leave this out when posting load data and velocity. 

I believe Mr Varm has a Tik Tac, so its 24" (well 600mm, so just under).

To anyone who is interested, the topic at hand the S&B Creedmoor ammo. Is it worth it? I’m undecided. 

I believe it’s marketed as a training round or plinking ammo. It’s not target minded I don’t think just being FMJ. 

Out of a 26” plus a moddy it meters in at 2734fps with a “ok” BC of 0.51. Strelok tells me this gets me out to 900m supersonic. Unknown transonic performance. 

Compare this to Norma, 130gr which it quite hot at 2930 FPS with a BC of 0.548. This gets me out to 1100m supersonic. 

Ultimately the Norma and hornady options are better options.... but certainly more expensive. 

Average accuracy is seen with the S&B, I consistently grouped 1” with it. Ultimately the user needs to decide what accuracy they are happy with. Both Norma & hornady group 0.5-0.8” respectively. 

I’m struggling to see where the S&B falls in. Gets you out to most distances on Bisley, but when wanting to stretch the legs of it to it’s full potential (let’s say visiting Orion) there is clearly better options. 

For me, I can defo see a Home for S&B to run a barrel in far cheaper. But unless I’ve top shelf speed & accuracy,  the whole reason I’ve got a 6.5CM barrel then I’m going to use my .308 as a training round and save the barrel burning Creedmoor for extended ranges. 

4021FCC9-5BEB-4876-8423-B03D5D9F26B7.jpeg

The thread drift is what it is.  Generally,  you tend to get what you pay for with bullets and I wouldn't entertain using S&B for long range use...not due to any snobbery...more because the logic (as I see it anyway) is why go to the lengths needed for consistency and low ES/good grouping at long range only to compromise any competitive (or non-competitive) edge by using bullets which are not manufactured to the same tolerance standards as competitors nor when better BC bullets exist.  The bullet you may have missed which doesn't break the bank is Lapuas excellent 139 Lapua Scenar.  Cheaper than the Normas, way cheaper than the Hornady match bullets and something of a benchmark for some years in 6.5.  That's the best answer that I can offer.

3 minutes ago, condorman said:

Reason I don't reload is because I will end up loading the night before and miss filling half the cases with powder in my haste!!! It happens to others in our club - Too often

Had that happen on me , I was unsure if it had fired or not as there were several other shooting around me , I decided to check and sure enough a bullet head was a few inches up the spout , I dread to think what would have happend if I`d chanced it and sent another one up behind it ?

18 hours ago, markymark said:

To anyone who is interested, the topic at hand the S&B Creedmoor ammo. Is it worth it? I’m undecided. 

I believe it’s marketed as a training round or plinking ammo. It’s not target minded I don’t think just being FMJ. 

Out of a 26” plus a moddy it meters in at 2734fps with a “ok” BC of 0.51. Strelok tells me this gets me out to 900m supersonic. Unknown transonic performance. 

Compare this to Norma, 130gr which it quite hot at 2930 FPS with a BC of 0.548. This gets me out to 1100m supersonic. 

Ultimately the Norma and hornady options are better options.... but certainly more expensive. 

Average accuracy is seen with the S&B, I consistently grouped 1” with it. Ultimately the user needs to decide what accuracy they are happy with. Both Norma & hornady group 0.5-0.8” respectively. 

I’m struggling to see where the S&B falls in. Gets you out to most distances on Bisley, but when wanting to stretch the legs of it to it’s full potential (let’s say visiting Orion) there is clearly better options. 

For me, I can defo see a Home for S&B to run a barrel in far cheaper. But unless I’ve top shelf speed & accuracy,  the whole reason I’ve got a 6.5CM barrel then I’m going to use my .308 as a training round and save the barrel burning Creedmoor for extended ranges. 

4021FCC9-5BEB-4876-8423-B03D5D9F26B7.jpeg

Thanks Mark! Interesting results..... Much faster than I thought it would be.

• 11 months later...

130 at 2900 is quite good 

is that attainable with 147 / 150 grainers out of the creedmoor 

23 hours ago, David Hancock said:

Soggy.  Give The Country Store a call.  I recall seeing some the other day.  Tel - 01223 837977

Thanks we were up that way visiting family today so popped in and got a box.

What a fantastic shop well worth the drive from Colchester I don’t think I’ll bother with any of the local shops from now on.

Soggy.  Pleased I could help.  I like Michael, Phil and David at The Country Store.   Phil in particular, knows his rifles and reloading and I trust his for honest, pragmatic advice.  They also have all the requisite cleaning rods, jags etc which the other shop I i use and like is Eastern Sporting in Great Baddow.  

Let me know how you like the S&B.  

Stalking at Hockwold on Friday with the 6.5cm.  A rare day off !!

All the best.

While the usefulness of the S&B FMJ can be debated.... I’m not a huge fan.

What I can say though, the soft point hunting version of this ammo in either 131gr or 140gr is brilliant for the price! 

The soft point groups sub half MOA groups in both of my 6.5 rifles and haven’t met a person who’s rifle it doesn’t like. It’s only OK speed Wise and pretty poor BC but can be expected for a SP round. However for hunting applications it doesn’t matter. Inside 150-170m it’s ballistics is very similar to anything else. Pretty much the limit of where I take deer anyway. Expands great and I’ve had clean kills.

For £20 a box or less for hunting ammo I can’t praise the S&B SP enough.