Sellier and bellot 6.5 creedmoor

46 minutes ago, phaedra1106uk said:

You can load your own higher quality ammunition using better components pretty close to that price.

Lapua srp case (assuming a life of 10x) 00.95

Murom small Rifle Primer 00.023

140gr Nosler Custom Competition bullet 00.27

35.5gr N150 00.16

Total £11/20

Yes if you already have the press and the time...

I always thought the two went hand in hand, Shooting and reloading surely everyone who owns a 6.5 mm or 7 mm will always make the effort due to the lack of factory ammo, and as said before getting the best out your rife, I find load development a fantastic part of the Sport and always chuckle when I see the new shooters rapid fireing there new .308 rifles to oblivion down at Bisley with there factory ammo. it's all a matter of choice like anything.

Paul

2 hours ago, bradders said:

Exactly

not everyone reloads, has an interest in reloading or has access to cheap or grey imported components

Here we go again, so exactly what grey imported components would they be then?

Cases, £96/100 Edinburgh Rifles

Primers £23/1000 HPS-TR

Powder, local supplier (Bowtec) £230 for 3.5Kg

Bullett €290/1000 delivered from any number of suppliers in Europe

55 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I always thought the two went hand in hand, Shooting and reloading surely everyone who owns a 6.5 mm or 7 mm will always make the effort due to the lack of factory ammo, and as said before getting the best out your rife, I find load development a fantastic part of the Sport and always chuckle when I see the new shooters rapid fireing there new .308 rifles to oblivion down at Bisley with there factory ammo. it's all a matter of choice like anything.

Paul

Well, I got into shooting from my Dad and he doesn't reload. Most of my mates don't reload... Think it depends on who you shoot with

2 hours ago, phaedra1106uk said:

Here we go again, so exactly what grey imported components would they be then?

Cases, £96/100 Edinburgh Rifles

Primers £23/1000 HPS-TR

Powder, local supplier (Bowtec) £230 for 3.5Kg

Bullett €290/1000 delivered from any number of suppliers in Europe

Mates Rates®

If Edinburgh Rifles wishes to make 3% over trade on brass that's up to him, likewise on the powder and the imported bullets.

You're getting the deals, but don't be selling those costs to others as the norm!

Paul, contrary to what you think, some people don't reload for a whole host of reasons, next thing you'll be saying is that people only shoot sat on their arses behind a bench..........wait...

How is it mates rates?,

I'm not getting any "deals" all those prices are what the suppliers charge to everyone.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/133028-Lapua-Brass-New

https://www.hps-tr.com/en/murom-primers-3

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/vhitavuori/vihtavuori-n100-series-rifle-powders-bulk-3-5-kg-lots/

Just checked with my local guy and his 3.5Kg tubs have gone up, to £236

16 minutes ago, phaedra1106uk said:

How is it mates rates?,

I'm not getting any "deals" all those prices are what the suppliers charge to everyone.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/133028-Lapua-Brass-New

https://www.hps-tr.com/en/murom-primers-3

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/vhitavuori/vihtavuori-n100-series-rifle-powders-bulk-3-5-kg-lots/

Just checked with my local guy and his 3.5Kg tubs have gone up, to £236

I see you didn't post a link to your Euro bullet suppliers, who are they?

Spudulike is selling the pooder for £20 more, and then there's the postage

I have accounts with both Lapua importers and know what the trade price and what a fair mark up is.....and that's a giveaway price, but up to them I suppose

The fact remains though that not everyone has the desire to make their own ammo.....which is what this thread is about, is it not?

W R Shiesssport in Germany or Hunting-Sport SARL in Luxembourg would be a good place to start, both are on eGun.de but will give slightly better prices dealing with them directly.

https://www.vdb-waffen.de/de/mitglieder/waffen-fachgeschaefte/wr-schiesssport_ug_ruediger_wastl.html

https://www.hunting-sport.com/

Edinburgh Rifles do trips up and down the country and will meet up/drop off stuff to save postage.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/144619-reloading-supplies-delivery-window

Each to their own on reloading as you say, just wanted to show the options, local RFD is selling Hornady for £190/100, that's around 4x the reloaded cost!.

Mark

I know that that many of tbe top CSR shooters reload and are fantastic at there discipline, I must admit on an LPSC practice day I shot a couple of times With Peter Cottrell and was suprised to see him shooting RG how many of the top 15 in service and practical class  do you think reload there own.

cheers Paul 

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Mark

I know that that many of tbe top CSR shooters reload and are fantastic at there discipline, I must admit on an LPSC practice day I shot a couple of times With Peter Cottrell and was suprised to see him shooting RG how many of the top 15 in service and practical class  do you think reload there own.

cheers Paul 

10 of the top 15 in Practical and 8 of the top 15 in Service use factory ammo of one kind or other, inc myself, but of those that use homeloads, given the particular match it's not unknown for them to use factory...and vise versa too

In our game it's all about shooting ability, ammo is the least of your worries. If you could hold 2 MOA all day long you'd win everything, and why bother when you can buy ammo for £40/100 or so and not be disadvantaged?

42 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Sometimes I do wonder why I reload when somebody beats me using factory ammo.fortunetley that does happen very often.generally I fire too many shots to use factory ammo.my time reloading doesn't cost anything

It's a subjective thing, some people don't bother because they don't have the time/space/inclination/kit/wherewithal etc etc

Some people are obsessed with it and have to reload everything, even when it doesn't show up in the results.

While good ammo is always better, we discovered ages ago that ammo doesn't win our matches, so why waste all your spare time when you can get the results you want for modest outlay?

I'm not against it, but as I get older and manage to score decent ammo at decent prices then the enthusiasm for reloading takes a back seat more and more

I like reloading.gives me something to do in the evenings and on wet weekends.i don't do load development like some do.i load up 5 or 6 different loads to try and the best one I go with.

I don't load like

50.6 etc

If I find my load is a touch warm that shot really well I download it 0.2grs and try it again another time as i dont have a range near to do it.all my testing gets done across the fields.

22 hours ago, phaedra1106uk said:

You can load your own higher quality ammunition using better components pretty close to that price.

Lapua srp case (assuming a life of 10x) 00.95

Murom small Rifle Primer 00.023

140gr Nosler Custom Competition bullet 00.27

35.5gr N150 00.16

Total £11/20

Hi Phaedra, is this what you reload 6.5 Creed with? If so, what sort of numbers are you getting? (velocities, seating depths / jumps etc etc). I'd like to hear it.

Cheers.

Velocities were about 100fps lower than Vihts published data for the 139 Scenar (nearest weight).  Laurie Holland has a few posts on here about the effects of small primer brass on velocities which are well worth a read (as is everything else he posts!!).

The Nosler 140s came out at a 5 shot average of 2496fps, I've got some Murom KVB223-M magnum primers being picked up for me at the Shooting Show so I'll start load development again with those and chrono a few loads next week if I get the chance.

Seating depth with the Nosler 140s is 2.317" and 2.327" to give a 30 or 20 thou" jump, measured to the ogive, COAL is 2.815" or 2.825"

• 3 months later...
On 2/16/2018 at 11:49 AM, phaedra1106uk said:

Velocities were about 100fps lower than Vihts published data for the 139 Scenar (nearest weight).  Laurie Holland has a few posts on here about the effects of small primer brass on velocities which are well worth a read (as is everything else he posts!!).

The Nosler 140s came out at a 5 shot average of 2496fps, I've got some Murom KVB223-M magnum primers being picked up for me at the Shooting Show so I'll start load development again with those and chrono a few loads next week if I get the chance.

Seating depth with the Nosler 140s is 2.317" and 2.327" to give a 30 or 20 thou" jump, measured to the ogive, COAL is 2.815" or 2.825"

I don't know if you've considered RS62, but I'm managing considerably higher velocities than that behind 139 Scenars, albeit for a considerably higher load!  Were you experiencing pressure signs if loading up higher than 35gr using N150?  35.5 seems to be quite a light load compared with RS62 loads.  I also find velocities about 100fps down in LR brass.

• 2 months later...

I know dragging up and old thread but maybe useful for someone searching.....

The S&B 140gr FMJ 6.5 Creedmoor is now available at the NRA armoury for £17 per 20.

Bought a couple of boxes to try out, I've heard good things about other S&B ammo so perhaps it will be okay, certainly for my abilities and practice!