Effects on accuracy of moderation

I know what it's like the proof house is running slow at the moment. My .22-250 Ackley has been there for a fortnight ;)

Cheers

Dave

Well I hope it was cheaper than the one I have just received back.

£23.50 each way Carriage and £43.18 Proof. They even charged £6 something + vat to unpack and repack the parcel. Total cost to proof a 22-250 £90.18.

I shall have to get some stamps made up as it will be a lot cheaper ! :lol:

hi

i have spoken to the proof house on many occasions, and they say they never have any rifle in there shop longer than 3 days.

the proof house has less work now than at any other time. as most of the country's now do there own proofing which is now recognized by this country.

ring them and ask them.

ATB

Colin :lol:

So why did they take over 2 weeks to do mine despite a request for it to be done before I went away for a few days allowing them 10 days. They told me they are very busy.

What is actually happening is they can now work at half speed and still earn more than any of us. :lol:

So why did they take over 2 weeks to do mine despite a request for it to be done before I went away for a few days allowing them 10 days. They told me they are very busy.

What is actually happening is they can now work at half speed and still earn more than any of us. :lol:

where did you send it

colin

Birmingham Colin

it was Birmingham i was talking to.

they said as most of the stuff they used to do is now done out of house,they never have any rifle in house more than 3 days, as for one they are responsible for them,and they all so don't have the work they used to have.

so they don't like them on there premises.

as for the price of proofing, it would be cheaper to go and do it wile you waited. it would take about an hour.

ATB

Colin

Usually a friend RFD takes anything for me. He takes it in one week and returns it the next and charges cost which is a pittance when he takes a lot in at one but this time I needed it quickly (ha ha) and thought I would disregard the cost but didn't want the hassle of a trip to Brum.

They said they were about 7 days behind but by that stage they had left mine 'simmering' for 5 days and it still took them the whole 7 to get it done.

It wouldnt have been any cheaper anyway £30+50% +vat for instant proof and £45-£50 for fuel at 19mpg and all that hot air - the airconditioning would never have coped with my swearing in that Birmingham traffic.

Its a lot easier to let someone else have the hassle I can tell you and in future my friend will be getting a few quid extra each and every time !

It just shows how threads can meander, its amazing how interesting these little diversions can end up being.

I would of thought the proof house would not have huge work loads with CIP regs and proof from most other countries bar the states and maybe Japan?

It really amazes me they feel they need to proof test guns made in the US.

Cheers

Dave

Glad that we dont have to go through the rigmarole of re-proofing after fitting a moderator!Both buying and fitting involves no extra effort than showing appropiate gun permit and handing over the cash.Ammo and handloading components equally available.Hope that it stays like this for a LONG time yet!

Guest 308Panther
Hey Andy,

I like the idea of shooting "naked" :blink:

Ian.

Just watch out for Poison Ivy......

308Panther

• 1 month later...

It is my personal beleif that a moderator improves accuracy in most cases because the reduced kick reduces flinch. Most shooters wont beleive they flinch because it flys in the face of the male ego.

Try this little exercise, go on the range with your - set up on a target close your eyes and let your - load the rifle for you, tell him to load the rifle with a live round or on an empty chamber or snap cap at random and see how you go if you flinch you will feal it when there is no round in the chamber. If thats the case then you will almost definately benifit from a moderator fitted to your rifle.

Dave

Archived