6.5mm varmint bullet choice

rhhudson

Have a colleague using the 123gr ELD Match on vermin/game with devstating  results.  I am using the same weight at the range in my 6.5 x 47. Extremely accurate

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2018 at 6:39 PM, rhhudson said:

Hi

What are people using in 6.5mm for fox etc? 

Hornady do a 95g vmax  but what else is about? 

Ideally 120-130g

Thanks

If it’s simply a fox shooting load I’d just go 95gr VMAX. I’ve used 140 Amax extensively to control vermin but now we only have ELD-M or X. The M is a little too hard for small vermin and I also know that there’s a higher potential for runners when shooting foxes with them based on an experience a guy I know had with them.

From what I’ve seen and with my intention to kill outright I’d be running the 95gr Vmax or similar. 

On 17/03/2018 at 9:24 AM, stephentri said:

Any one try the 130 grain TMK in their 6.5 I  know  the 77gr TMK works well for vermin in my. 223 

I used them for vermin shooting last year. They were accurate enough for field work but they didn’t shoot as well as Amax. The terminal performance on vermin was very impressive. 

I use 140 SST for longer range (42.4gr RS62) but have yet to try the 95gr Vmax which might replace the SSTs for my vermin control.  I used to use TMKs in 223 but they're getting quite expensive now, so I switched back to 60gr Vmax for that.

• 3 months later...
On 6/25/2018 at 1:00 PM, treetop said:

In that weight area, I use the 100 gr Sierra HP and the Sierra 120 sp both very good 

The Sierra 100 grain are very accurate from my 6.5 Creedmoor. Sub 1/2 MOA.~Andrew

Archived