tikka t3

banus02

good afternoon ,looking f0r some constructive advice on a problem with my 243 tikka t3.yesterday i had a light strike/fail to fire and i was hoping some one with more firearrms knowledge than me could guide me along the path to a cure.i have stripped and cleaned the bolt/firing pin spring etc,i have checked the firing pin end and it is perfectly rounded. no debri/dirt brass etc found on/in the bolt.the bolt appears to function as it should and the bolt spring and firing pin are dry.i had a problem with miss fires/light strikes a few years ago and this was found to be a replacement bolt shroud but that was replaced and the rifle has been fine since,<,250 rounds no problem>.the problem round has a federal 210 primer fitted and shows a shallow indent.any helpfull advice greatfully accepted

Did you try firing the same cartridge again.always wait about 30 seconds after a misfire just in case you get hang fire.not that you didn't already know the that but I thought I'd mention it just incase you didn't.  

good evening no i deer,thank you,safety advise can never be repeated too often and no i dont try to refire light strike cases.i just wait and safely place the unfired round in a plastic bullet holder and disassemble when i get home.i then refit the empty case in the rifle in the garden and fire with the barrel pointing in to a bucket of sand,this primer failed to fire so i have deprimed and looked at the primer and all looks fine but obviously is not.i have buried it.not had any problems with federal before.

Light strikes are largly due to dirt in the bolt firing pin hole causing an obstruction.

Once youve stripped the  bolt doen wash it out with brake cleaner over a clean paper towel - bet youd be surprised how much crud gets washed out from a "clean" looking assembly.

Wash the firing pin assembly and after a light coating of Gt85 or similar re assemble.

If its a one off event , i'd suggest dirt was the issue.

If its a regular event, then could be weak firing pin spring, damaged pin or mechanical in the bolt shroud.

Ive had to change three Tikka spring assemblies in the last 12 months - all from older 595 / 695 variants. (each with 20 years of use)

So I doubt the T3 has a wear issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Have seen this a few times with Tikkas T3s - the firing pin springs gives up and produces light strikes.

I have been told when I had mine replaced that a police force with Tikka (may be TVP?) replaces their firing pin assys every year due to this issue.

Unfortuntaly the spring is part of the firing pin assembly and you’ll need the whole thing for £50ish.

I always store mine with the spring eased since replacement (using the plastic bolt tool). 

• 1 month later...

Got several Tikkas, one with several thousand rounds on it and only ever had two light strikes in years with them, both primer issues.  I'd not fret and just shoot it. It's worth stripping the bolt and cleaning periodically anyway.  I've had similar issues with other rifles, so this is not inherent to Tikka.  Imho, never try and refire a round that hasn't gone off.  Primers which have been struck can be over weakened (thinned) by double strikes and a primer failure and gas blow back is not a desirable outcome.

Archived