Gun Crime on the UP

CRD

Gun crime figures out are 6694 offences.

Look out chaps, more ammo for the police to clamp down on guns.

What does seem strange is, you can go to your local pub and buy a pistol yet a law abiding person can't have one. Strange world we live in eh?

Would like to know of those offences what firearms were used. Section 1,2,5 etc and air weapons included. 

Then of that which were illigaly held and of all of those which were stolen off firearm owners and used, along with how many legally held used by the licence holder that didn’t include suicide. 

Do you think they break those figures down or keep them fudged for a reason.

40 minutes ago, Vortex said:

Would like to know of those offences what firearms were used. Section 1,2,5 etc and air weapons included. 

Then of that which were illigaly held and of all of those which were stolen off firearm owners and used, along with how many legally held used by the licence holder that didn’t include suicide. 

I doubt you`ll get a true break down as that would not suit may politico`s agenda , many offences may/will even be airsoft guns used in a threatening way ,  waving an air rifle around in a front garden or losing a blank firer off in a public place.

3 hours ago, Vortex said:

Can I ask, why should someone topping themselves with a legally held firearm be ignored from the stats?

I agree with the rest of your post, but the above comment has me puzzled.

5 minutes ago, Grum87 said:

Can I ask, why should someone topping themselves with a legally held firearm be ignored from the stats

I think suicide is no longer a crime - so if the statistics are meant to be crimes, that would be a good reason to exclude these sad events.

The biggest problems with these firearms related statistics is, of course, that offences using legally held firearms and by FAC/SGC holders are not shown separately.

However, that would make plod look bad since the vast majority of offences are committed using illegally held firearms by non FAC/SGC holders.

Cheers

Bruce

11 hours ago, deadcenter said:

I found this a bit back. Gun amnesty from 2003. If the figures are correct, it's astounding.

Hopefully I've attatched it.

figures.pdf

If that's the same amnesty I remember Dorset police were mincing about with a LAW 66 on BBC local TV saying that a real rocket launcher had been handed in, and think of the danger of it in the wrong hands.

For those of you not familiar with these, they were a use once and drop launcher. As regimental duty driver many years ago I would drive through the quarters area in Celle where 3 Royal Green Jackets were stationed, only to see the kids playing with them! 

Sorry for the late reply, I believe it is still a crime to commit or so I have been told but apart from emotional fallout and other things like family left without a bread winner for example it’s not a crime against someone else so shouldn’t be included.

commiting suicide does not impinge on others rights or freedoms or damage/take there property or possessions. 

So shouldn’t be included with the statistics  especially as most of the firearms related stats are lumped in when covering emotive topics as it is with the acid ban to bolster the figures which then let the authorities say hay we need another ban.

The figures are a bit meaningless. I would like to know the amount of crimes committed with legally held weapons or with weapons stolen from license holders v the total. Of course we will not see these figures because it would show what we all know to be true: It is easier to obtain a gun intended for use in crime from a fellow criminal.  Still by far the most firearms crimes are committed using pistols and these have been banned for ages! What can we do to stop the relentless persecution of firearms license holders?

2 hours ago, ozone said:

Ifsomeone commits suicide with a gun how do they

put it away afterwards? Is that a crime?

ozone

Amazing things happen sometimes. If you read the case report on the White Farm Murders, you will read that at one time in the investigation by the police suggested that Sheila Caffell had shot herself twice in the head then removed the silencer from the .22 rifle, hid it in the kitchen before returning to bed and dying. She was not prosecuted. However, Jeremy Bamber was eventually convicted of the murders in the Farmhouse.

http://www.homepage-link.to/justice/judgements/Bamber/index.html

For those with sufficient attention span, the appeal notes in the link above describe at length the crime, the police 'investigation', subsequent events, conviction of Bamber, and his unsuccessful appeal.

3 hours ago, Vortex said:

Just asked my solicitor and he says it’s not unless you assist with it. 

So shouldn’t be used with the criminal use of firearms. 

Suicide has not been a crime for many years. It is, however, a crime to assist a suicide. At one time, a person saved from a suicide attempt would be nursed back to health, tried for the crime, and if found guilty, hanged.

16 hours ago, Vortex said:

Sorry for the late reply, I believe it is still a crime to commit [suicide].

Suicide was decriminalised in England and Wales in 1961, and in Northern Ireland in 1966.

It has never been a crime commit suicide in Scotland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Act_1961

maximus otter

8 hours ago, Shootist said:

...the police suggested that Sheila Caffell had shot herself twice in the head then removed the silencer from the .22 rifle, hid it in the kitchen before returning to bed and dying.

Not as implausible as you might think. l have read an authoritative account of a man who left his house, went to a bus shelter and shot himself through the roof of his mouth with a .455 Webley. The bullet exited his skull, and the police later found “stalactites” of brain tissue hanging from the bus shelter roof.

He then walked home, spoke to a servant and walked upstairs to his bedroom, where he lay down on his bed and died.

maximus otter

Archived