New Tikka rimfire

bradders

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ejg223 said:

I recon I'll have a 6.5-20x50 Conquest left over to use on the T1X. Throw it in a lightweight tactical stock and start with off-hand practice in the garden. Handling & ergonomics will be the same as on my hunting rifles. The only reason I don't shoot 22's is because the stocks on my CZ's and scope height are all wrong, for me at least. Bit of ammo/load testing and off we go...

edi

So a couple of grand will make it a good rifle :)

3 hours ago, Moorlander said:

So a couple of grand will make it a good rifle :)

Well the ergonomics are so much better for starters. No Open sights that foul with the scope bell, the bolt will in all likelihood clear a scope much better leading to a lower mounted scope. Trigger out the box much better.... and I can just drop it into my favourite T3 hunting or target stock and have a great trainer set-up. That is worth something to me. The CZ's will have to go, hardly use em anyway.

edi

Sounds nice. I have a 3-9x42 Zeiss already salted away for mine.  I have Burris 11mm rings on hand but might opt for the UTG  11mm to Weaver adapters and some Low Burris Z-Rings. I picked up one of the new MagPul bipods. Might mount that on the accessory beavertail foreend.~Andrew

7 hours ago, ejg223 said:

.... and I can just drop it into my favourite T3 hunting or target stock and have a great trainer set-up. 

edi

Stock will require a little modification to fit i have found. 

IMG_20181011_205220.jpg

The mag well didn't fit - slight mod required and easy fix. Also  no barrel support lug in aftermarket t3 so will be free floating?  And more  gap where a thinner t1x barrel enters the receiver. 

I have seldom had a Boyds that did not need some tweaking. I have come to expect it.  Almost every stock they sell has the warning that 'some minor fitting required'. This is a quote from Boyds site regarding whether a stock from them requires fitting:  " However, due to variations in manufacturing, production processes and tolerances, some minor adjustments may be needed to achieve that perfect fit. Please consult a competent and qualified gunsmith if you need assistance."  It doesn't make Boyds a bad stock. They are just trying to make a price point. ~Andrew

This piece of plastic in the factory t1x tuppaware fills the gap around the slimmer barrel and the barrel rests on it so must be a reason. How would you deal with this in aftermarket t3 stock? 

IMG_20181011_211650.jpg

I didn't see that part yet. Rifle will shoot the same if you toss that in the bin... meaning in aftermarket stocks it just won't be there...no harm. It is only a feature to satisfy the " narrow barrel channel gap = good rifle"

In theory it would shoot just as well if you saw off the stock 5mm behind the recoil lug...

edi 

On 10/18/2018 at 12:24 AM, Andrew said:

What is a cheap looking synthetic stock? All non wood factory stocks look the same to me, be they Tikka, Remington, Ruger or otherwise. Let us know how it shoots, you lucky dog.~Andrew

I just think that its a very thin piece of plastic unlike the Sako synthetics that have a slightly better look...

32 minutes ago, Dirksdonuts said:

I just think that its a very thin piece of plastic unlike the Sako synthetics that have a slightly better look...

What car do you drive and how does the plastic in that compare to the plastic in posher cars?

I stopped into the shop I bought my T1X from yesterday and spoke to the gun department manager. Another dose of gibberish culminating in a shrug of the shoulders when asked when Beretta will ship the T1X. I'd really like to shoot it before it gets to -25F! ~Andrew

On 10/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, Andrew said:

I see. Have you shot it yet???~Andrew

Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in posting the updates

The rifle was fitted with a Hawke scope, SAK moderator  and Harris bi-pod the zeroing in was straight forward and it handles well. I have made it a bit too top heavy but off the bi-pod it shoots really well. The groupings at 100metres was consistent at around 5mm-8mm. I think this can be bettered by making the trigger pull a little more delicate. It is set so heavy, but I am led to believe that this is an easy tweak.

pWibB7hOQaizM9dDVKpbHA.jpg

Archived