New Tikka rimfire

bradders

A customer was in yesterday picking up an AXMC. Said he'd had one on order, and then saw one at the show [guessing it was the northern shooting show ] 

He cancelled it , upon seeing one. Said the stock was "not nice"

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, baldie said:

A customer was in yesterday picking up an AXMC. Said he'd had one on order, and then saw one at the show [guessing it was the northern shooting show ] 

My T1X cost me $460 US. This is pretty inexpensive.I woudn't be expecting anything better than the stock on my T3's for that money.

There seem to be a lot of contradictions when it comes to delivery time. The gun department manager at the store I ordered mine from said that at a corporate meeting discussing new products, a 22LR T1X was being handed around.~Andrew

Seems strange that the HMRs are floating about but the 22s are still AWOL - surely the 22 market is much $$greater$$, youd have thought they push to get the 22 to market first?

15 hours ago, baldie said:

The Quad stock seems quite sturdy plus its a more versatile rifle , I doubt the new one will be any better, just advertising hype.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

Did I miss something? Other than the interchangeable pistol grip and foreend, was there something else? Comb? I didn't read anything about the stock except this for this feature and compatibility with some T3 stocks. What was being hyped?~Andrew

One person told another person he didn't like the stock, so now the stock is crap

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

That's what I thought had happened. I was trying to be polite.~Andrew

Which is all academic anyhow, coz on page a Baldie-Wan-Kenobi said "Imagine that in a laminate GRS stock with a bix , n Andy trigger.....:wub:"

So you see the stock doesn't matter coz people are ready planning to spunk their hard earned money away and double the cost of the rifle already!

12 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

I just think, buy a CZ 452, read the handbook, carefully adjust the trigger, go out and shoot it. Spend the money saved on a nice piece of glass and lots of ammunition to practice with. You know that will make you a better shot!

David.

Far too sensible , you`ll end up with a better rifle for less money.

I just handled one today for the first time. To be honest I was disappointed.

I didn't like the stock either and thought the whole rifle felt cheap. I was expecting the barrel to have a similar contour to my tikka ctr but it's more like the standard lite version. 

I will stick with my quad varmint. 

2 hours ago, palo said:

I just handled one today for the first time. To be honest I was disappointed.

I didn't like the stock either and thought the whole rifle felt cheap. I was expecting the barrel to have a similar contour to my tikka ctr but it's more like the standard lite version. 

I will stick with my quad varmint. 

All you`d need to do is fit a new barrel and drop it in to a GRS stock and you are away .

14 hours ago, Moorlander said:

Far too sensible , you`ll end up with a better rifle for less money.

In the US the 452's cost about 25% more than the Tikka. I can't imagine what you guys were reading into the adverts or seeing in demo vids for the Tikka. They clearly showed that the T1X does not have the barrel contour of a CTR, or anything close to it. They also made it clear that the T1X has a light synthetic stock. That said, some of you are acting like you have been deceived. I will reserve judgement until my 22LR arrives ( yes, IF it EVERY arrives) but I expect that like the my T3's, it won't seem like much until I pull the trigger, at which time it will seem very good indeed. I've never shot an inaccurate Tikka and I expect the T1X to follow that trend. Just my best guess.~Andrew

The T1X stock is way better than the CZ hogs back version. Then the open sights of a cz force the scope to be mounted extra high + the stupid bolt that catches the scope. I have a few CZ's...  reliable but awkward rifles, can't wait to replace them with a T1X.

edi

2 hours ago, ejg223 said:

The T1X stock is way better than the CZ hogs back version. Then the open sights of a cz force the scope to be mounted extra high + the stupid bolt that catches the scope. I have a few CZ's...  reliable but awkward rifles, can't wait to replace them with a T1X.

edi

I haven't seen the T1X stock but you can get a 452 with a straight stock and no iron sights so that would get round some of your difficulties.

Best wishes,

David.

19 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

I haven't seen the T1X stock but you can get a 452 with a straight stock and no iron sights so that would get round some of your difficulties.

Best wishes,

David.

I mostly advice others to try get the straight stock if CZ  but then you get the heavy barrel with that.

The T1X is what many have waited for, just put it in your tactical or hunting T3 aftermarket stock and practice in the garden if big enough. Even rabbit/crow  shooting  is much more fun with a proper fitting stock that you might have invested many hours of training with. This is the missing link for Tikka shooters.

edi

On 9/15/2018 at 3:46 AM, bradders said:

One person told another person he didn't like the stock, so now the stock is crap

Not at all Mark.

I never said anywhere , the stock was crap....I haven't seen one.

My customer said , he had seen one, and because HE didn't like the std stock, cancelled his order.

That told me that Tikka have put the usual cheap plastic stock on this gun, same as they do on the full bore. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

The problem comes when people see what the gun is being sold for in the states, then see how much of a dry bumming they get here in the UK. The gun, with a cheap stock is not worth it here. Folk will stomach a cheap stock on a cheap gun. People like my mate didn't.

Wont make a damn difference to me. I won't be buying one, nor selling any.

It somewhat annoys me that any factory synthetic stock is immediately described as a "cheap plastic stock". To put the synth T3 stocks in the same category as a Rem SPS shows total ignorance of the build quality differences.

The axial stiffness of the T3s is on a different planet to the truly "Sh*tty Plastic Stock" Remingtons. You can use them with a bipod without the inevitable risk of barrel contact, something that can't be said of SPSs

8 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

It somewhat annoys me that any factory synthetic stock is immediately described as a "cheap plastic stock". To put the synth T3 stocks in the same category as a Rem SPS shows total ignorance of the build quality differences.

The axial stiffness of the T3s is on a different planet to the truly "Sh*tty Plastic Stock" Remingtons. You can use them with a bipod without the inevitable risk of barrel contact, something that can't be said of SPSs

I must agree. I have five T-3's with the synthetic stocks and they have been a rock. My two 223's and the 204 get used for prairiedogs and get banged about in the back of my Jeep. My 308 and 7mm-08 get used for big game hunting in some pretty rough terrain. Both have scratches and nicks but hold their zero year after year. Given the choice between hardwood or the Tikka synthetic I would choose the synthetic. That it makes the rifle less expensive is a plus to me.~Andrew

You two guys have to realise you're dealing with people on here where unless the rifle has a "custom" action fitted with a cut 5R top name American barrel, Bix 'n' Andy trigger, Devcon bedded bottom metal in a McM/Robertson/Manners/GRS carbon laminated stock, preferably with aluminium bedding block all the way through that costs an arm and a leg, then it's always going to be a poor 2nd rate product, especially if it's off the factory shelf

It all becomes somewhat tedious to be honest

12 minutes ago, bradders said:

You two guys have to realise you're dealing with people on here where unless the rifle has a "custom" action fitted with a cut 5R top name American barrel, Bix 'n' Andy trigger, Devcon bedded bottom metal in a McM/Robertson/Manners/GRS carbon laminated stock, preferably with aluminium bedding block all the way through that costs an arm and a leg, then it's always going to be a poor 2nd rate product, especially if it's off the factory shelf

It is certainly puzzling to me. I watched as many vids and adverts as i could find before I ordered my T1X and I know exactly what I'm getting.  No illusions. My distant view of UK shooters on various forums is that they like assurances before they purchase. Not so for rifles?

I know that you folks get the shaft when it comes to prices but aren't prices proportional to the item in question? Tikka gets another $150 -$200 for a walnut on their hunting rifles in my locale. Would that extra expense added make the T1X worth the cost in the UK? Make it not a 'cheap' rifle?? In the end, It is how it shoots that makes a rifle worth the money. Lord knows I remember the Kimber Super America .22 marketed in the early eighties. The most beautiful rifle I ever shot carrying a $1200 price tag. Unfortunately, it was also one of the most inaccurate 22's I have yet experienced.  A $49 Chinese JW-15 Brno #2 copy embarassed it back to the seller. I still have that ugly JW-15.~Andrew

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Lucky for you people have their idea of a perfect rifle built by custom rifle builders , you`d be out of business if everyone bought factory production AR`s and never upgraded them

The more people who cancel, the quicker those that remain will get there's.

I've handled the .17HMR as it is exactly as I expected, and felt like a sturdy, purposeful little rifle. In fact, for less than £500 I thought it was a bargain, which is probably why they were ordered so quickly. It's cheaper than the plastic 15/22 I bought, and I thought that was cheap.

I suppose if you expect more for £500 you are either very hard to please, or Scottish! ;) (edited to add, or a Northerner! :) )

Archived