New Tikka rimfire

bradders

On 25/01/2018 at 12:40 PM, bradders said:

Tikka T1X

Might be just the ticket for the Precision Rimfire Match.....if I get it off the ground

http://www.tikka.fi/rifles/tikka-t1x/t1x

tikkat1x-hero_0.png

Here's hoping the Precision Rimfire Match happens!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, phoenix said:

Interchangeability of the stock with the T3 centrefires is a great idea (and a huge design and tooling cost saving for Tikka)

It looks like they are using optilocks which makes mounting a scope significantly more expensive than having  a standard 11mm dovetail rail

Cheers

Bruce

It also has an 11mm dovetail apparently

• 3 weeks later...

I have already pre-paid for one of these T1X at a shop in the city. Their bulk shipment of 20 rifles is due in May (10, 22LR and 10 ,17HMR) but the sales manager and I are getting two as an independent order. They are supposed to be in the store by the second week of April. I am getting 22LR and the other fellow 17HMR. My price was $450 US. I also ordered three extra magazines but as of the last time I was in, there wasn't even an SKU number for these so I have no idea if they will be coming as well. I am quietly anxious for this rifle to come. I have  a couple of dozen 22LR rifles now but I hunt with a T3 in 7-08, I practice off hand with an identical rifle in 308 (cheaper to feed) and this 22 will allow me to hunt small game with a rimfire set up as close to my CF's as I can get. I've already ordered a Zeiss 3-9 for it.~Andrew

At the IWA we met Miikka and looked at their new baby. We took the Tx1 out of the original stock to see if and how it fits into a bedded aftermarket stock. Was a perfect fit. The stock was bedded with our T3 bedding rifle. I asked the question about stainless and they said something down the lines of not yet. Seem to have their hands full with the orders they have at the moment. The floorplate/mag seems to made to one size and in future take all rimfire versions.

Cl0ZpM4.jpg

oue2Xws.jpg

XYG2Ok9.jpg

edi

Thanks for that report, Edi. I find it frustrating that there have been several somewhat lengthy vid showing the rifle being shot, but not any grouping. Even at the SHOT Show the Media folk got to shoot clay birds at 50 yards. Not exactly a challenge. I have no doubt the rifle will be accurate but it would have been nice for one of these videographers to turn the camera down range. Five or ten minutes of watching someone pull a trigger doesn't convey much.~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Thanks for that report, Edi. I find it frustrating that there have been several somewhat lengthy vid showing the rifle being shot, but not any grouping. Even at the SHOT Show the Media folk got to shoot clay birds at 50 yards. Not exactly a challenge. I have no doubt the rifle will be accurate but it would have been nice for one of these videographers to turn the camera down range. Five or ten minutes of watching someone pull a trigger doesn't convey much.~Andrew

Probably because they haven't gotten into the hands of any in depth testers yet

I believe orders are backing up here as demand is high, I have one on order, so looking forward to giving it a whirl when it materialises

Two things I forgot to ask apart for accuracy (one assumes it will be Tikka accurate).  Can a normal T3 Pica Rail be mounted? secondly is the bolt handle the same as any t3? For those that like an aftermarket bolt handle...

If one throws a T1X into a tactical stock instead of the usual T3 for practice one would want to throw the PMII with a Spuhr mount etc. on also.

edi

12 hours ago, bradders said:

Probably because they haven't gotten into the hands of any in depth testers yet

I believe orders are backing up here as demand is high, I have one on order, so looking forward to giving it a whirl when it materialises

Maybe, but the one vid from the UK was pretty lengthy and involved a lot of shooting... of course, that isn't to say that the person in the Vid was up to the task. I am pretty excited about this new Tikka.~Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Looks brilliant, I imagine L/H would be a silly dream though.

Thinking about its 'drop in' to T3 chassis; presumably, it only actually drops into stocks designed for T3s that still use T3 bottom metal?  (Which would mean it wouldn't work in any T3 chassis systems at all (?) )

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Looks brilliant, I imagine L/H would be a silly dream though.

Thinking about its 'drop in' to T3 chassis; presumably, it only actually drops into stocks designed for T3s that still use T3 bottom metal?  (Which would mean it wouldn't work in any T3 chassis systems at all (?) )

A young design/cnc engineer that makes parts for us was already looking at the idea of converting an AICS type mag housing that could take up the 17hmr/22lr mag. This could then be used in chassis. Pretty sure someone will come up with a solution. At the moment it would only work with a stock that can take a T3 floor plate. Even the CTR inlet would do apart from a little gap on the sides of the 22lr floor plate.

Chassis is so yesterday...:lol:

edi

I am a week out of my targeted delivery date of "the middle of April".  The magazines have had their US price set  as of this last week though I have yet to learn what that might be. Winters last throes have had me snowed in for the last week. I have three magazines on order with the rifle and have already  purchased some slim 11mm-to-Weaver adapters for the Zeiss. The rifle will come together quickly but for the new rimfire titanium suppressor which will probably take until July or August to get approved. I don't have any interest in dropping it into a chassis but that is the plan for many US "PRS" shooters who are in line for this rifle. ~Andrew

What not just make a dummy AI mag that holds/replaces the Tikka RF mag - or am I looking at this too simplistically ? ( ie why re invent the wheel??)

folks already do similar when building a 22rf using an 40X and dropping into a chassis

Edi, concur on the ‘chassis is so yesterday ‘ ? , been done to death.

T

On 26/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, ejg223 said:

One of our customers has 6 identical stocks from air rifle right up to 300wm. 

Some others are getting there.

I think this rimfire will have this added benefit of being able to use Tikka T3 parts. Some stock makers in the US were manufacturing centerfire type stocks to fit 22 rimfire actions; now Tikka has made it easier by using a centerfire action footprint. 

Archived