New Tikka rimfire

bradders

Quick zero at 50yds. Only had CCI subs and Win subs. Rifle only has a few shots through her and I might have not had the best shooting rest. Top right groups were winnie subs, rest CCI. Best group was bottom left  with 11mm  50yds. Would love to try some Eley subs. Would also like to try a different moderator or no moderator to see if groups improve. Just didn't have the time today.

1yLYicN.jpg

HNxHieE.jpg

edi

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking everything I'm seeing and hearing so far.... even the cheap stock. My rifles see some rough work so any stock I can drag over barbed wire and rocks without shedding a tear is good for me. I really appreciate all the updates and range reports.~Andrew

I got to shoot my rifle only briefly as I was being buffeted by a snow storm. My rifle has a superb trigger and is ammo/shooter capable. I tried two kinds of Aguila ammunition -one high velocity and the other their old Rifle Match.  The rifle match shot bug holes at 25M (visibility was too poor for 50) and the HV put 10 rounds into about a 3/8" diameter hole. I am going to try it again tomorrow. I expect good things.~Andrew

22 hours ago, ColinBR said:

How are you guys finding the rifle?

I'm still in the market for a rimfire rifle and have this on the list of possibilities. 

I'm between this, a second hand Anschutz 1710 and a Lithgow LA101. 

As there's been no other replies i will kick things off and share my thoughts. Re 22lr 20" version - great little package and good value. Positives - Particularly like the bolt,10 rd mag included and feeds flawlessly. Also like the barrel profile. Will be popular and after market accessories purpose made will appear one day. Accuracy 5-8mm 5 shots at 50yds possible with mid priced ammo. This replaced a Lithgow crossover and i prefer the tikka. Not owned a 1710 and i doubt a second hand one can be bought for £500 but not sure. I do have a 54 annie 1427. Tikka is right with it at 50yds but not 100yds. But to be fair summer ended the day i got mine and so it's 'work in progress'. Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

What makes the Tikka less accurate at 100 yards?? I have never encountered this problem with a 22LR when all things are equal.~Andrew

Most likely it's my ability or lack of. I blame the wind or other outside influences of course,  but i keep trying at 100yds and no doubt it will improve. All part of the enjoyment.  

I have found that the wind is the greatest bugger-boo. Additionally, I don't have the kind of follow thru skills needed to shot sub-sonic / match ammo into small groups from a light rifle. Wind is the worst though: With some loads it only takes an errant puff of wind to destroy a good group. Other than a series of groups I fired on one magical day with PMC Rifle Match from a Brno, I have found that good quality 40 grain HV delivers the most consistent accuracy at 100 yards provided the wind gods allow it. I shoot quite a bit of the old Eley primed, Aguila HV "Super Extra" 40 grain. I fell into these when I was comparing this to some SK Standard  and found smaller ES and SD from the Aguila over several lot numbers. I have not tried it at distance with the Tikka (indeed, winter's blast has kept me from shooting the Tikka or anything for that matter...) but I'm guessing it will at least stay in the MOA range at 100 yards as it does in my CZ's and BRNO's. I hope so as I am planning on using the Tikka for our clubs 200 yard matches this coming summer!~Andrew

(PS: Are the replacement fore-end and pistol grip options available to you on GB? Ridiculously inexpensive here)

Had the Tikka out briefly just at the end of daylight so that I could quick-check the zero after moving the glass. Used the Aguila HV and again, shot all 10 inside about a 35 caliber hole. It was almost dark but I decided to try some Federal Ultra Match (Made by RWS and rebranded) for 5 rounds. All five shots went into a single bullet hole. It was too dark to continue.

All the shooting was done with my suppressor in place, btw.~Andrew

Sounds like a very accurate little rifle. 

Only thing I don't like about it is the fact it doesnt have a cheek riser. I know this would cost more but I'd happily pay a bit more than having to fork out for a new stock for this reason. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:43 PM, Andrew said:

(PS: Are the replacement fore-end and pistol grip options available to you on GB? Ridiculously inexpensive here)

Yes they are available and i have fitted the vertical grip. It brings the hand forward towards the trigger more so i have to alter my trigger finger to suit and not sure if this is a good thing yet. Also the holes didn't line up and needed work to fit.  I don't see the point in the front bit on this little rifle. 

4 hours ago, outlanda said:

Yes they are available and i have fitted the vertical grip. It brings the hand forward towards the trigger more so i have to alter my trigger finger to suit and not sure if this is a good thing yet. Also the holes didn't line up and needed work to fit.  I don't see the point in the front bit on this little rifle. 

I haven't mounted that grip yet. I was planning on using it for prone shooting during the 200 yard comp, along with the foreend that will have a permanently attached bipod rail. Neither of these items would be of much use for small game hunting. To me. at least.~Andrew

I was in the City today to take advantage of a sale at one of the ranch stores and pick up some more Federal Ultra Match 22LR in the process.  A friend rode along and after the ranch store stop, we made our way to the store where I bought my T1X. They had received a total of 5 of the 22LR in stock but were reduced to one by this afternoon. My friend bought it. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to break and we will see some warming to above freezing. My friend and I will bring our T1Xs to try at a variety of ranges and another friend will being his SAKO FinnFire Match rifle. Should be an interesting show down. I'll let you know how it goes.~Andrew

On 11/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, ejg223 said:

Quick zero at 50yds. Only had CCI subs and Win subs. Rifle only has a few shots through her and I might have not had the best shooting rest. Top right groups were winnie subs, rest CCI. Best group was bottom left  with 11mm  50yds. Would love to try some Eley subs. Would also like to try a different moderator or no moderator to see if groups improve. Just didn't have the time today.

1yLYicN.jpg

HNxHieE.jpg

edi

Them groups are terrible.you definately need to try some different brands until you find one that works.i assume the stock is one of your own creations edi that looks real nice.

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

Them groups are terrible.you definately need to try some different brands until you find one that works.i assume the stock is one of your own creations edi that looks real nice.

I only had the two subsonic types at hand. Bit gusty on the day. The winnie subs used to shoot well out of a cz. This one did not like them. Lots of things i would have needed to check, test etc however i sold the rifle to a friend who asked me to order one for him. I will get one from the next batch. My objective was mainly to see if the T1x fits into our stocks. Others can make em shoot. Our deer season is in full swing little time for anything else right now. edi

Eley xtra hollow plus used to shoot amazing in my CZ452 and now there crap.they changed to something for the worse.probaly a cost cutting exercise 🙄.it's cost the 1000s of subs from me.best accuracy am getting is 42gr winny subs and there not the best.not a patch on what the eleys were 🤔

Archived