Tikka TAC A1: GMK Response to Muzzle Thread issues

4 hours ago, VarmLR said:

I think that the issues are now resolved with newer rifles Andrew.  Early production runs had a few mm of the threaded area next to the shoulder left uncut which was the problem.  Newer ones now appear to be undercut by all reports.  Why they ever released the Tac without the thread being properly cut in the first pace beats me, as it was always going to be a potential cause of problems for mod users.

The thread is cut properly, Tikka just chose not to make an undercut, and they aren't the only company to do so

I've seen loads of AR barrels that are threaded to the shoulder with no undercut, the difference being that most brakes, flash hiders and suppressors have sufficient relief on the thread for it not to be a problem, and as I type I can think of countless .22lr rifles such as Ruger 10/22's, CZ's and others that don't have an undercut, and that never seems to be a problem, so it's not all Tikka's fault

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine wasn't threaded to the shoulder though Bradders...it ended a few mm short.  Needed to extend the thread and undercut properly.  None of my other rifles have this issue but yes, I appreciate that it's not only Tikka that have done this, it's others as well.  At least they've recognised that for mod users, it needed addressing.  It is an issue with some mods depending on how their threads are cut.  Many don't have any relief or undercut of their bushings.  It's then that a problem occurs as obviously, the mod can be pulled off axis at the end by enough to cause a bullet strike.

For me, I would prefer not to have the undercut.  Rather re-work the mod if needed. Had to do quite a few in the past. As I said the Hausken JD224 I have fit onto the T3 CTR without undercut no problem. I have two CTR's and 3 JD224 30 cal 5/8x24. Every moderator that gets paired up with a rifle must be checked for fit. Sometimes you can feel the way it tightens up, sometimes it is better you use a marker or blue to see if the should carries well. Even looking through the barrel might reveal if something is badly off. Schulz and Larsen have test rods to stick into barrels which tell if a mod is off centre. Every mod they manufacture get's tested that way.

edi

2 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Every moderator that gets paired up with a rifle must be checked for fit.

Well that's fine but if you are selling a rifle as threaded MXxY then it needs to be threaded in such a way that it is going to fit in most cases. Tikka sell them as threaded, not 'threaded for X muzzle brake'.

Cost reduction has gone too far.  The stocks are junk, now this

You know there are 6 members at my club , inc myself with tic tac . 

Ranging from 18 months old upto  mine being a few weeks old . And not one person has had any of the problems described in these post . 

I have two Tac A1s and there both spot on , everything fits and works  like it should do .

for the record I’m not trying to be a dick with my comments, my point is maybe there are just a few cases with the problems described . 

14 hours ago, Chanonry said:

Well that's fine but if you are selling a rifle as threaded MXxY then it needs to be threaded in such a way that it is going to fit in most cases. Tikka sell them as threaded, not 'threaded for X muzzle brake'.

Cost reduction has gone too far.  The stocks are junk, now this

As an Engineer I think what Tikka did on the thread is the right way. Many similar examples in engineering where one does not want to further weaken a system. Undercut ! means undercutting the diameter of the small diameter of the thread which in turn means it will weaken the weakest spot on a barrel further..... which engineer in their right mind would do that?

if someone complains about it... yes they will change and weaken it … customers own fault. go for it.

edi

2 minutes ago, ejg223 said:

As an Engineer I think what Tikka did on the thread is the right way. Many similar examples in engineering where one does not want to further weaken a system. Undercut ! means undercutting the diameter of the small diameter of the thread which in turn means it will weaken the weakest spot on a barrel further..... which engineer in their right mind would do that?

if someone complains about it... yes they will change and weaken it … customers own fault. go for it.

edi

I`ve often wondered how safe a sporter rifle with a 1/2" thread and a BFO moderator is , yes both may be proofed but proofing the barrel doesnt take into account the weight of a moderator .

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

I`ve often wondered how safe a sporter rifle with a 1/2" thread and a BFO moderator is , yes both may be proofed but proofing the barrel doesnt take into account the weight of a moderator .

I am worried about falling or taking a tumble with the rifle which happens just about every outing in our terrain. Worried I bend the thread slightly and find out with the next shot.

edi

17 hours ago, One on top of two said:

You know there are 6 members at my club , inc myself with tic tac . 

Ranging from 18 months old upto  mine being a few weeks old . And not one person has had any of the problems described in these post . 

I have two Tac A1s and there both spot on , everything fits and works  like it should do .

for the record I’m not trying to be a dick with my comments, my point is maybe there are just a few cases with the problems described . 

Myself and a few mates have 4 ctrs and a tac a1 and no issues either with various mods 

I went back to the store tonight and looked at the TAC A1 threads, specifically. They do have an unfinished section next to the shoulder. Very perplexing. I looked and looked and finally ended up buying the rifle to see if my suppressor would screw up to the shoulder of the barrel. It did.~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I went back to the store tonight and looked at the TAC A1 threads, specifically. They do have an unfinished section next to the shoulder. Very perplexing. I looked and looked and finally ended up buying the rifle to see if my suppressor would screw up to the shoulder of the barrel. It did.~Andrew

👍👍

19 hours ago, ejg223 said:

Undercut ! means undercutting the diameter of the small diameter of the thread which in turn means it will weaken the weakest spot on a barrel further..... which engineer in their right mind would do that?

One who knows that there is adequate material anyway to do the job (even with a huge safety factor) and wants to make a universal fitting ?

Its only hanging a mod. The barrel is steel not plastic. How much material do you really think it needs.

1 hour ago, Chanonry said:

One who knows that there is adequate material anyway to do the job (even with a huge safety factor) and wants to make a universal fitting ?

Its only hanging a mod. The barrel is steel not plastic. How much material do you really think it needs.

You can choose the weaker or stronger solution.  Your choice.

edi 

17 hours ago, Andrew said:

Muir you do make me laugh with your underhand humour. 

I can just see folk twisting in their seats at the concept you bought a rifle without a slot on a firearms license. 

I want to say its not the rifle at fault but the part you are screwing onto it. 

More making fun at myself. I have always fancied a TAC A1 but always considered the price something I'd need to save for. I picked the rifle off of the rack and , conveniently enough, there was a "wife bench" right across from the display so I sat down and began inspecting it. Saw my earlier mistake abut the threads on the muzzle and decided it wasn't that big of deal. A couple minutes in a lathe. I continued to look it over. It was the last one in stock as they had sold the other four they had in the racks the past week.

Before I knew it, I'd convinced myself I had to have it. Fillled out the Federal Affidavit, showed my Driver's License and Concealed Weapon's Permit, and was on my way. When I got home I pulled the suppressor out of the safe and tried it. No problems.

One thing that might get  Brit TAC A1 owners a little hot was a card I found in the box saying that for US Customers only, there was a promotional deal whereby you email a form and a copy of the purchase receipt for the rifle and they send you a free magazine. ($105 US here)  Doesn't seem fair, does it??

~Andrew

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

More making fun at myself. I have always fancied a TAC A1 but always considered the price something I'd need to save for. I picked the rifle off of the rack and , conveniently enough, there was a "wife bench" right across from the display so I sat down and began inspecting it. Saw my earlier mistake abut the threads on the muzzle and decided it wasn't that big of deal. A couple minutes in a lathe. I continued to look it over. It was the last one in stock as they had sold the other four they had in the racks the past week.

Before I knew it, I'd convinced myself I had to have it. Fillled out the Federal Affidavit, showed my Driver's License and Concealed Weapon's Permit, and was on my way. When I got home I pulled the suppressor out of the safe and tried it. No problems.

One thing that might get  Brit TAC A1 owners a little hot was a card I found in the box saying that for US Customers only, there was a promotional deal whereby you email a form and a copy of the purchase receipt for the rifle and they send you a free magazine. ($105 US here)  Doesn't seem fair, does it??

~Andrew

Nope it’s not fare , however here in good ol Blighty , we have an extremely still upper lip don’t you know . We would never let a simple thing like that bother us . 

👍

Ps there £125 over here ........ god save the queen 😁

Dollar to the Pound, roughly, right? Seems to be the rate.

I almost got sad this morning as I took my Gen II Viper 5-25 Vortex off of my CTR to mount on my TAC. It has been such a good rifle/scope combination but for the fact that prolonged shooting from prone position absolutely kills my neck. Why Tikka doesn't offer the CTR with an adjustable cheek rest is beyond me. Over the past few year have noticed my reluctance to spend a lot of time shooting the CTR in favor of my 308 Ruger Precision which is set up properly for me and is exceptionally comfortable to shoot -and long range capable with 175 grain bullets. Obviously, the chassis of the Ruger made that possible and I set out to find a chassis for the CTR. One company offered what I was wanting (chassis I liked and using CTR Mags) but it was north of $800 US. Sitting on that bench I debated the issue and finally decided to strip down the CTR of it's target gear and brake and leave it as it was (presumably ) intended as a tactical rifle.... which here means a deer rifle or long range coyote... and buy the TAC A1 I've been pining over anyhow.

So the TAC will get used for steel shooting and the CTR, special use.** The weather is about 0 degrees F today so I won't do much with it but I do plan on running the 24" TAC along side the 20 " CTR with identical loads to see the velocity difference discussion once and for all -at least for me. I will be sincerely disappointed if the TAC isn't at least as accurate as the CTR!

Sorry. This has rambled.~Andrew

(** Here we always carry a rifle with us. Though most of the time it's a 223, there are times when long range capability would have been better. The CTR might see some truck time.)

More to the point of the post, I just took my muzzle brake off of my CTR. The thread profile and the little unfinished area are identical to the TAC A1. Neither my brake nor two different suppressors had any issues coming to the shoulder on the CTR. I expect the same on th eTAC.~Andrew

Congrats on your purchase Andrew.  Hope you get on with the tic-tac.  Must admit,  I took to mine straight away.  The only thing (in 6.5CM) that is sometimes irksome is the feed cycle isn't always reliable if done without slow deliberation such that the bolt comes back fully.  The number of times I've squeezed the trigger on an empty chamber thinking I've cycled a round is embarrassing.  Probably more my problem than the rifles, but never had this with my T3 Varmint (in .308).  I tried several mods with mine when I discovered the issue.  Some went on without a problem, some were pulled off axis.  The ones that went on ok all had a slight distance between the mod face and the start of the thread (ie slight overbore up to the thread) hence they squared up fine. 

Tic-Tac. Love it. Much more personable than "A1"

I'm not saying it isn't a problem but I never noticed the 'shoulder' on my CTR and blithely screwed on everything I had lying around at one time or another. My suppressor does have a slight angular lead in, as do my brakes.

Did you ever try the factory brake? On the 5/8-24 threaded models it comes as an accessory wrapped in plastic with the rest of the goodies and I'm not too keen on attaching it unless I'm told it works brilliantly.

I also have short stroked my CTR. You do need to get full retraction on the bolt to pick up the next round. Usually I can tell when it happens but it is frustrating to have that Zen moment where you can almost see the wind patterns and squeeze off on an empty chamber. (@*@$%#%#!)

It is snowing and, again, 0 degrees out. I may not bother even roughing in the scope on the 'tic-tac' today. I hate tossing expensive bullets out into the cold. They claim warmer weather is coming next week.~Andrew

I did try the factory brake and it's ok but I don't have much to compare it with tbh.  I guess if you didn't get on with it, it's only a one minute job to swap a mod back in, granted POI will shift between them.

I've had that Zen moment more than a few times, once during a comp and swore silently, almost biting my tongue when I "missed the moment!"  Weather here is picking up, enough that I actually went out and put a few miles up on the GSA today after shodding it with fresh boots!

I couldn't resist. I took the Tac out today to get a rough zero at our little local club. It was about +4F and there was a breeze blowing but I got it done.  At 100 yards I fired two five shot groups off of a bipod resting on a sheet of ice with the buttstock supported with my left hand. Both were about .7 inches with multiple overlying hits, eg: three in one hole and two in another. I was pretty pleased considering how much the rifle was skidding around.  The load was H4350 under a Nosler 140 grain Custom Comp, loaded in Peterson Brass straight from the box. A better day, a better platform for the bipod, and I'll be in clover, I think.

My rifle did not come with the brake attached. I was told that 5/8-24 threaded rifles on American shelves had the brake in the box and that was the case for me. It will become a paperweight. I have my MBM four-port 6.5 brake ready to install. That brake reduces recoil to nothing.

Glad you (we!) managed to get out today. Beats staying home and watching the snow pile up.~Andrew

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

I couldn't resist. I took the Tac out today to get a rough zero at our little local club. It was about +4F and there was a breeze blowing but I got it done.  At 100 yards I fired two five shot groups off of a bipod resting on a sheet of ice with the buttstock supported with my left hand. Both were about .7 inches with multiple overlying hits, eg: three in one hole and two in another. I was pretty pleased considering how much the rifle was skidding around.  The load was H4350 under a Nosler 140 grain Custom Comp, loaded in Peterson Brass straight from the box. A better day, a better platform for the bipod, and I'll be in clover, I think.

My rifle did not come with the brake attached. I was told that 5/8-24 threaded rifles on American shelves had the brake in the box and that was the case for me. It will become a paperweight. I have my MBM four-port 6.5 brake ready to install. That brake reduces recoil to nothing.

Glad you (we!) managed to get out today. Beats staying home and watching the snow pile up.~Andrew

LoL...absolutely!

It's just coming back into biking season here (at least for me) but the heated grips keep the hands nice and warm on chillier mornings.  Have Spain in my sights for a tour later in the year and perhaps the West coast of Scotland.  Should be lots of shooting too...

Sounds like you got a load almost dialled in first attempt....LRP Brass and between 42 and 43gr H4350 at a rough guess perhaps?

Good guess. Forty two and seated Nosler's recommended length. Yes, LRP brass. It's my standard load. Shoots well in everything.  Have been working with Lovex powder with good results as well.

You should cycle Montana. Pretty popular/scenic.
~Andrew

Archived