Lyman Gen 6 - views from a loading bench!

VarmLR

I've resisted getting entangled in electronic scales and loaders of various sorts and for years have used RCBS beam scales of one type or another, in combination with a trickler. However, as I'm loading anything up to 300 monthly now,  it was becoming rather tiresome to do the whole thrower/beam scale/trickler thing and have to have a screen and camera to get the best from the scale's precision.  Lots of workbench space and very time consuming.

I have always heard more of the negative side of electronic scales and loaders and the better ones have always cost more than I'm willing to spend to weight out a simple charge, but I finally gave in and bought a Gen 6 to try.  I now don't know why I didn't do this years ago....except that it wasn't available years ago (a good enough reason!).  Last night I had about 60 6.5 cartridges to load of varying charges for load development work.  As this was the first use of the Gen 6, I tested the odd charge on some beam scales and every one tested was bang on the money.  In 60 charges, only 2 or 3 were over by about 0.1 grains (I used a reducer in the dispensing spout as I was using RS62 stick powder).  Charge time was shorter than expected, varying between 15 and 20 seconds.  This saved me perhaps 40 minutes or more over my traditional method and the accuracy and repeatability was almost faultless.  The Gen 6 takes up very little bench space, was ready to use from switch on after a three minute warm up, was easy to charge, use and clean.  As precision seems pretty good and consistency excellent, I can thoroughly recommend this to anyone else on the brink of making a decision to go that route.  It seems to have everything that the Charge master Lite does at a fraction of the cost.

Well that'll be me then.

Like you I have come and gone on the idea. Was warming up to it again as my TargetMaster went south, never convinced about the build quality of that either really.  

Then I read an incidental comment from Laurie about shooting in the order you load to limit any effects of the scales drift.

Hmmm. 

Varm, I totally agree and came to the same conclusion last year. The beam/TM route is SOOOO painfully slow, it was turning reloading from a joy to a proper chore. Ok if you're only loading 10-20 rounds for a comp, but if you're shooting 100+ per session, loading that many is just miserable.

I got my CM Lite from the US and found it great. BUT, to get the best from it you must trickle up to weight. I've seen others do the same and my testing proves I can get my loads between 0.00gn and 0.04gn consistently. Weights double checked on an excellent GemPro scale.

I did find one quirk with the CM Lite, which was to throw a charge 1gn under, REMOVE the pan briefly, then replace pan on scale before final trickle up. This gave me incredible charge accuracy & consistency and only added a few seconds to the whole operation. Even with this, I've still managed to halve my reloading time from using the TM and I believe my charges are actually more accurate/consistent.

Here's my review & trickling up method. I'm sure it'll help you go from 0.1gn down to 0.05 or better consistency.

Good review Catch-22.  A friend uses the Chargemaster and had similar (minor) issues but said that his main gripe was that it threw over regularly so he adapted it with some straws used as a makeshift reducer, and now it seems to work well.  I was pleasantly surprised at just how precise the Gen6 scales were, with other scales showing a variance of no more than between .05 to 0.1gr max, but most within the 0.05grain accuracy.  That's more than accurate enough for me as I've never believed that one kernel over or under makes much, if any difference.  Then again, I'm no BR shooter.  Case consistency is to me more important than squeezing out the nth degree accuracy on scales, so the Gen 6 ticks all my boxes, takes up hardly any room and best of all doesn't seem to drift (at least I've not detected any yet), unlike earlier versions.  There's a fair few discounted Gen 5's doing the rounds and whilst they do offer some enhanced functionality (that I would never use) they also use the older electronics.

3 hours ago, Chanonry said:

Well that'll be me then.

Like you I have come and gone on the idea. Was warming up to it again as my TargetMaster went south, never convinced about the build quality of that either really.  

Then I read an incidental comment from Laurie about shooting in the order you load to limit any effects of the scales drift.

Hmmm. 

I guess all scales will suffer a little from drift over time, but in context to charge, these later versions seem to have cured all the early gremlins.  One of the issues with many electronic scales is the plastic bodies.  They can become charged quite easily with static and this apparently causes drift issues with some electronics.  A quick wipe down with plastic friendly window cleaner should keep the surfaces static free.  It was a toss-up between the Target Master or the Gen 6, but as I've never had an issue with the mechanics of hand trickling, I saw little point as long as my thrown charges were close enough.  It's the time advantage and the amount of hassle and space that the Gen6 dispenses with that won the day.

I've been using the Lyman Gen 6 for over a year now.

As long as it's on a stable surface and been given a good while to warm up it's faultless.

I even have a spare one kicking around that's never been used. I may put it up for sale now it's been brought to my notice.

Making life easier when it comes to reloading is a good thing.  I will run some further tests on the load cell accuracy by comparing it with a calibrated one that I use professionally for setting up delicate devices involving tiny loads.  My standard will be a scale that measures to thousands of a grain.

Edit:  Not sure how relevant anything over a 1/10th of a grain is given that many BR shooters seem to load by volume.  I think that rather than get too anal about 1/10ths or 1/100ths come to that, I'll keep an eye on SD/ES as that is more relevant in terms of results for LR shooting precision.

I bought a Gen6 very early on after struggling to read the Lee scales that came in the Challenger kit . Constantly putting on and off my specs  (old eyes) .

My only criticism and it's a minor one is that the 3 minute warm up just isn't long enough. Not a real problem, I simply turn it on 1st thing , I also added surge protection at the socket , these 2 things put an end to the drifting. 

:D

I've started having problems with mine. Went to load another 50 today but it kept coming up with "Cal 0" and stopped working.  Had to switch off, switch on, leave to warm up and then another half hour before it would work, and then only if the pan was lightly tapped!  Taking it back for an exchange as obviously faulty.  Good job I never sold my Lee Safety scales which I've always had as a back-up!

They all have their issues and loathed to spend another £200 on a Chargemaster so if this doesn't work out I'll just revert to a scoop and scales....

I agree RE the 3 minute warm up...it's not long enough really.  I have a surge protected extension lead which is used.  Thrown a good number prior to today with no issues at all over the week...very odd.

I have the Gen6 and after finding the  previous user had managed to  get Varget in side it ??, After a good clean out it works very well with a different range of powders from varget,  rs52, Lovex do63,  A1 Ao Bluedot  Alliant Steel, Herco, Maxim SSB150,

Saved me loading on shotgun loading too.

I’ve had a gen 6 for about 2 years or so now and it works great.  

Doesnt take too much room up. Keep it nice and steady on a concrete pad stone I pulled out of a building which also dubbles up for something to hit with the inertia hammer.  Without the scales there of course.

15 hours ago, Vortex said:

I’ve had a gen 6 for about 2 years or so now and it works great.  

Doesnt take too much room up. Keep it nice and steady on a concrete pad stone I pulled out of a building which also dubbles up for something to hit with the inertia hammer.  Without the scales there of course.

Good idea, except I'd like to use the inertia hammer on mine at the mo!

Still, the load dev was done and there'll be another post to offer up some more CM data which is thin on the ground.  Got a cracking good result with RS62/139 Lap, and I have to admit that the Gen6 is consistent as I wouldn't have ended up with single figure ES/SDs otherwise (new brass which helps).

True as long as it’s throwing consistent powder charges then it’s all good.  Ye I’m going to try some more loads with the 139,  got some good initial results with N-150 but going to try N-160 to get a bit more velocity. 

Using 123gr at the mo and works well out to 1000 but the 139gr has more constant small groups at 100 over the 123gr.  Just need to find the right powder. Don’t want to use double base powder tho. 

Archived