Chopping the barrel on a 26" .223

JohnGalway

Hi folks,

Me again :( If the Quad ends up at the gunsmith I'll likely haul along the .223 for a chop and screw cut. It's a Remington 700 VL SS thumbhole stocked .223 with a varmint 26" barrel. I fire factory rounds, 1st choice being 40 grain Hornady Vmax moly coated, second choice being 55 grain of the same.

I take it from information read elsewhere there'll be little or no effect on accuracy sub 250 yards, is this correct?

I would like to know how the drop will change depending on how much I get cut, if that's a question that can be answered on the given information. I'm thinking of anywhere between 20"-22", in your opinions which would be best in that range? I've got no real intention towards long range shooting. I will, if I get permission, be adding a Jet Z compact mod at a later date.

So, what advice have ye got for me please?

All the best,

John :blink:

John,

Bruce Potts did a test on this, his article is still available on the Shooting Times web site. If your max range is around 250 yards you will no effect on accuracy and the difference in bullet drop will be minimal with a .223 on a 18" barrel, infact there is a good chance that your accuracy will improve as the shorter barrel will be stiffer with improved barrel harmonics. As a result of his testing Bruce now uses an 18" barrel on his .223 and a 14" barrel on his 308. I have had my .20ppc cut down from 22.5" to 16.5 and out to 300yards there is no practical difference, the drop is now 2.3" as opposed to 2.0" with the longer barrel., and accuracy is unchanged 3 shot groups through the same hole.

Go for it you wont regret it.

All the best,

Nick.

Link to the article.

It's interesting stuff fellas. Doesn't look like a reduction in length will make any practical differences to my shooting. I believe the shortest, without special permission, barrel length you can have here is 19 point something inches so I figure I better leave myself a little space incase the screw cut goes tits up and needs to be redone :blink:

Nick do you have a photo of your sawn off 20ppc? lol, I'd say that's an extremely handy rifle!

I'll be getting mine cut for definite now. Thanks for the help fellas :(

Link to the article.

It's interesting stuff fellas. Doesn't look like a reduction in length will make any practical differences to my shooting. I believe the shortest, without special permission, barrel length you can have here is 19 point something inches so I figure I better leave myself a little space incase the screw cut goes tits up and needs to be redone :lol:

Nick do you have a photo of your sawn off 20ppc? lol, I'd say that's an extremely handy rifle!

I'll be getting mine cut for definite now. Thanks for the help fellas :rolleyes:

Hi John,

PM me your email address and I will send you a picture, I cant get the hang of posting pictures on here.

Nick.

I chopped my 308 down because a 26'' barrel and a sound moderator did not suit my inside leg measurement when climbing about in the rough stuff. :rolleyes: got pi55ed off with getting the mod stuck in brambles etc.

Then again if your leggy the same point wont matter :lol:

As you say short range no problem so I would cut it down to 20'' or thereabouts and enjoy it. Cut my 22 down by 6'' and would definetly recommend it. Now 18''.

PM sent Nick :rolleyes:

Eldon, well I'm 6'3" but I've handled a rifle with a 26" barrel plus the Jet Z mod on the end, that had a fluted barrel so cutting it would looked odd if sold on. Mine, thankfully doesn't have a fluted barrel so I can chop away. Biggest problem I found was when the rifle with the mod was slung it'd keep wanting to fall backwards - not a good thing on the land and obstacles I travel. 20 or 22" would be good, just need to flip a coin and decide which, lol, leaning towards the 20" as long as whomever I get to do the job can reassure me it'll be done right.

Archived