6mmbr which primer

Woodlander

I currently use Fed Match primers for my 6br,along with Varget. I'll be looking to develop a load using N140 and this may be a good time to try a different primer. Ive heard of groups/ES  tightening up just by changing primer,anyone experienced this with a 6br, or any suggestions as to a preferred primer for this chambering. Thanks 

I use Murom KVB-223M's..............RS52 powder, and Scenar 105 L's in a 30" 8 twist barrel.

MV around 2850, and on a good day will do 1/2 MOA.

RePete

Most of the guys using 6BR for long range benchrest (including the current record-holder) use Vit 150 with a 105gn bullet.  But the 'soon to disappear' Varget will also work very well. M/vs are usually in the 2950 range but this will be from a 28 - 30 inch barrel.

Primers?  Have a read of Laurie Holland's extensive treatise in Target Shooter magazine http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=2621

On 18 January 2018 at 3:46 PM, Woodlander said:

I currently use Fed Match primers for my 6br,along with Varget. I'll be looking to develop a load using N140 and this may be a good time to try a different primer. Ive heard of groups/ES  tightening up just by changing primer,anyone experienced this with a 6br, or any suggestions as to a preferred primer for this chambering. Thanks

Hi,,,nothing wrong with Fed Match primers but by all means experiment. I have read many times people have found the BR4,s give better all round results but I reckon its all to do with the whole "tune" not just a magic primer fix.I have not tried any alternative I must admit but with Vit powders and Fed match I,m not looking for much more from by 6BR,s,,,,,,,Hopefully I,m attaching some groups of 90 Bergers with Vit 135 and some 105,s with Vit 140 all sparked by The Fed,s. This particular rifle gives me a huge window in which to play,,,but I,ve had similar results with previous builds,,,,,here we go,,,,,,

Forgot to mention the 105,s are doing 2825 with the 30.5 load in the 25 inch barrel.l

IMG_0496.thumb.JPG.2bbefa5b9851136ccff0e9bf86e12fb8.JPGIMG_0493.thumb.JPG.354d7df81831b521b5aef6743a94cf11.JPG

Hi guys I am shortly to start reloading a 22BR for a friend who is fairly new to reloading so am assisting him develop a load for a new rifle my question is would the cci br primer work as well with the 22 as it does for the 6 or should I just start with standard primers ? Do any of you have any experience to impart pls

The 22 BR is new to me too I shoot the 6mm ppc so any experiences any of you have would be welcome

Many thanks

Steve

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the 450 primer. It's known to work well in 6BR.

I prefer to use the same primer in my BR and the 6- and 6.5x47s. Keeps it simple and it works.

5 hours ago, poacher said:

Hi guys I am shortly to start reloading a 22BR for a friend who is fairly new to reloading so am assisting him develop a load for a new rifle my question is would the cci br primer work as well with the 22 as it does for the 6 or should I just start with standard primers ? Do any of you have any experience to impart pls

The 22 BR is new to me too I shoot the 6mm ppc so any experiences any of you have would be welcome

Many thanks

Steve

I have used both BR4 and the Murom KVB 223 primers in my 22BR, both work just as well as each other. The only difference I can see is the massive difference in price. 

Archived