UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
David Hancock

17H - 18, 20 or 22 inch barrel . . .

My HW came from the factory with an 18 inch barrel, very handy out of a motor.  Nothing I have shot so far has noticed.  If you want to wreak the last FPS out of it and are not bothered about length then don't cut it from its factory spec.

Love it the build quality, accuracy and trigger are absolutely sublime.  If I were you I would order one of your choice and endure the wait. Buying a Sako and having a new barrel will be probably £1500 bare minimum if you can find a donor and as an owner of many Sako's past and present the HW is better quality.

I didn't like the way the muzzle thread wasn't undercut on the HW myself. Although I will admit, the rest of it is Bob on. 

I’m looking to build a .17 Hornet but I want to get it as compact as I can get away with  what do you guys think to 18 inch barrel? 

Factory Weihrauchs are 18, 20 and 22.  The current available HW66's in 17H are 18 though I'm about to order a 20.  If they did not think 18's work, then I guess they would not produce them.

On 1/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, David Hancock said:

. . .. advice on optimum length.  It's going to a varmint gun not a stumpy truck gun

Leave it long. You can always cut some off but going the other way? Not so much. Twenty two inches was optimal for my 17 Mach IV. Should be great for the 17 Hornet.~Andrew

A shame ballistics by the inch haven't got to the .17 Hornet yet!

I'm also interested, having picked up a CZ 527 varmint recently, which is 24" out of the box and trimming some weight is tempting. As the optimal barrel length for HMR velocity is 19" I can't see it being less than 20"? It would be interesting to see optimal burn characteristics for common powders.

If any kind soul happens to have Quick Load handy, I would be very interested to see the difference between N110 and N120 relative to 20/22/24" barrel lengths, I have a load of 17gn VMAX heads to play with and musing which powder to go for, Viht is always available my way.

Edit: came across some 24" data velocity data here  https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25829 be great to see some different barrel lengths for 17gn.

1in9 - The two HW66 Jagd-Match rifles on Guntrader are 18inch.  If Weihrauch did not think they would perform then they would not produce them.

Me, being me, I would still prefer a 20" which is a 4/5 month special order