Sign in to follow this  
David Hancock

Sako 22 Hornet action and wood stock

Reasonably reliable sources cite:(date is factory introduction of model) Sako factory Hornet models:

L46 (1946) in 22 Hornet (and 218Bee,222Rem...)

P75 (1975) in 22 Hornet

M78 (1978) Finnscout. In 22 Hornet  (,22lr and 22WRM)

There are anecdotal claims of others-usually misnamed ( eg  'the Riihimaki model' which is the early  L46 with the town where Sako made them stamped on. And who knows what a good/not gunsmith might have semi customised (the L461,and modified A! Series might be modifiable-the 222Rem factory was largely responsible for the aura that Sako enjoyed,despite having to drop the "Bofors" steel post '68 -it was generic and good steel,but Bofors allegedly objected as it was not their Bofors steel).

Sort of related issue is the M78-note it was also available in 22 rim fire-but those had 1 rear lug bolt-modifiable,but hardly ideal,perhaps for a cf.Quite rare,as is 218 Bee-indeed all the Sako Hornets are rare in UK (Scandinavia ,Australia ,USA might have more surviving.)

So there may well be a little confusion about this eg Sako  "75"  is the much later cf model,preceeding the Model 85.I didn't find any Hornets either from donor Sako A1/L461 (17Rem,222Rem,223 around 1979,with 22 and 6PPC in 1987),nor in between short run variants,nor Quad (2006,17Mach2,17 HMR,22WMR) nor Finnfire 11 (2014 17HMR,22LR)-but who knows for sure?

gbal

GBal.  You are a veritable font of knowledge my friend.  I fancy a classic Sako action for a .17 Hornet build.  OR, buy a .22 Hornet HW66 Jagd-Match, and have it rebarrelled with a Sassen fluted barrel (indulgent) but faster than the 5 - 8 months Weihrauch are quoting for a factory .17H.  Best Regards.  David

12 hours ago, David Hancock said:

Thank you 17 Rem, my mistake.  Sako action then . . .

No problem. I see you have managed to amend the title of the thread now. 

I have only seen two M78 Hornets in 30 years of being a Sako anorak, but they are out there.