Air rifles in Scotland

gazzarM1

Going up to Scotland next month for a bit of stalking and thinking of taking my air rifle for a bit of plinking .Given the state of affairs in respect of airgun ownership up there do I need a permit to take it to Scotland?I am a FAC holder

Best bet is to ring Police Scotland and ask.

For someone to possess an air rifle in Scotland, it either needs to be on an AWC, if one was applied for, or an FAC/SGC will cover it until your renewal, at which point you must apply for an AWC for it.

I believe visitors need to apply for a visitors permit, much like foreign visitors bringing a rifle in for some stalking. How having an FAC may or may not change that, I don't know...

You will need a visitors permit for your non FAC air rifle, even although you hold an FAC or SGC from a Police force in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

However, if your air rifle is FAC rated you won't need a visitors permit (crazy or what!!!)

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks,Maximus. Police Scotland advice seems quite explicit about FAC holders from UK visiting Scotland with air rifles.

Gazzar,  I'd take a copy with me,and phone Police Scotland in advance too. Authoritative  belt and braces beats misinformation every time.

Kilt is not mandatory,and no certificate needed-but that's only my opinion.     :-)

Have a good trip.

gbal

1 hour ago, maximus otter said:

What Police Scotland actually say:

Visiting Scotland with an air rifle.

Application form for an Air Weapon Visitor Permit

maximus otter

Maximus,

Thanks for that, and my apologies to all for getting it wrong.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for the heads up gents.However having read all the stuff involved,wanting to know where I am staying ,what land I am shooting etc,etc I don't get that travelling with several full bore rifles/shotguns plus £20 fee not that £20 is a problem but about £20,000 worth of principle. I will just take a rimmy instead which is on an open ticket anyway.

16 hours ago, phoenix said:

You will need a visitors permit for your non FAC air rifle, even although you hold an FAC or SGC from a Police force in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

However, if your air rifle is FAC rated you won't need a visitors permit (crazy or what!!!)

Cheers

Bruce

What a mess that is then :( 

edit just seen M/Os post but its still a mess.

Archived