.22 Semi-auto ammo

I use some Winchester  T22 in a 10/22 and a Buckmark

My CMMG likes mini mag and Eley Match 

My Anshutz 54 (bolt ) is at its best with Eley Match or some old Lapua target stuff

11 hours ago, caerhays sniper said:

Will will be Baldie?

First thing to do is a get a new titanium extractor...the std ones are not good.

The old magazines were not good either, but there are newer versions about.

They benefit from an internal tune and spring kit in the trigger.

Much the same as a Ruger really.

7 minutes ago, baldie said:

First thing to do is a get a new titanium extractor...the std ones are not good.

The old magazines were not good either, but there are newer versions about.

They benefit from an internal tune and spring kit in the trigger.

Much the same as a Ruger really.

Fair enough thanks for the advice, not had a chance to set it up and try it yet, shooting every day of the week at the moment on the shoot. Will look into the pieces you have mentioned. Thanks.

On 09/01/2018 at 10:36 AM, maximus otter said:

If you'd wanted accuracy you'd have bought a bolt action.

;)

maximus otter

X9svTXx.gif

.22 accuracy is directly related to the quality of barrel and tolerances of the chamber

Most mass produced semi-auto .22s have fairly generous "Sporting chambers" to cater for the whole gamut of ammo available...as the man above would say "in the world!", and to ensure reliability

Chambering to tighter tolerances can cause issues but for the most part can be rectified

If bolt guns are more accurate i's not strictly because they're bolt guns

:)

4 hours ago, bradders said:

kashgar-cobblers-small.jpg

Literal translation: "If you spend loads of money on Gucci aftermarket parts for your .22 SLR, it can be as accurate as an out-of-the-box bolt action."

Let two equally-talented riflemen select two .22LR rifles (of comparable quality) at random from the rack; one an SLR, one a bolt action. Let said riflemen experiment to find a brand of ammo that each rifle "likes". Let the two then fire groups at a respectable distance, e.g. 100 yards.

I have a crisp £5 note that says that the bolt action will win every time.

;)

maximus otter

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/01/2018 at 8:48 AM, bradders said:

X9svTXx.gif

.22 accuracy is directly related to the quality of barrel and tolerances of the chamber

Most mass produced semi-auto .22s have fairly generous "Sporting chambers" to cater for the whole gamut of ammo available...as the man above would say "in the world!", and to ensure reliability

Chambering to tighter tolerances can cause issues but for the most part can be rectified

plus 1 on this. i have a walther gsp carbine rifle semi auto. accuracy is up there with any bolt action 22 i have ever shot. The action in tgis rifle is very tight. about 150 rounds before i have to clean it.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:48 AM, bradders said:

X9svTXx.gif

I would add to your list, Quality of Ignition source.

Some semi's, if left to their own devices, become sluggish in the ignition department. It does effect accuracy. This can be a gummed up striker/firing mechanism or just a crudded up breech that prevents consistent bolt closure and headspace. I have a 10/22 with a custom 1-18" twist barrel that will shoot 50M, 10 shot groups on par most of my good bolt guns, as long as i keep the firing mechanism and breech face and bolt scrupulously clean and properly lubricated.

That said, I have a CZ 452 that I can completely ignore, maintenance wise, and it will shoot as well as the Ruger Custom with ammo it favors.~Andrew

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I would add to your list, Quality of Ignition source.

Some semi's, if left to their own devices, become sluggish in the ignition department. It does effect accuracy. This can be a gummed up striker/firing mechanism or just a crudded up breech that prevents consistent bolt closure and headspace. I have a 10/22 with a custom 1-18" twist barrel that will shoot 50M, 10 shot groups on par most of my good bolt guns, as long as i keep the firing mechanism and breech face and bolt scrupulously clean and properly lubricated.

That said, I have a CZ 452 that I can completely ignore, maintenance wise, and it will shoot as well as the Ruger Custom with ammo it favors.~Andrew

True, and as long as you keep them clean then the reliability and accuracy can be maintained.

This is why items such as the M16 toothbrush are invaluable for getting in there and scrubbing the breech face

M16CKBrush.JPG

The feedback I get from my .22 customers is always very satisfying and they often compare the accuracy to that of a good bolt gun, the latest email comparing it to their Anschutz, and that from a .22 semi auto AR with a Walther barrel chambered in .22 Bentz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/12/2018 at 12:20 AM, Strangely Brown said:

I'm using Eley Contact in my BAR15-22 as well as Eley Force, haven't had it that long but suspect the Eley Force may have the edge on accuracy. 

Only using the sub sonic Contact because of a noise issue at my local .22 club. 

Are you still using it Mick?

How's the grease build up and reliability in the BAR22?

(I'm googling for a gilded subsonic with a heavy bullet, designed to operate semi autos, but not having much luck!)

12 minutes ago, brown dog said:

Are you still using it Mick?

How's the grease build up and reliability in the BAR22?

(I'm googling for a gilded subsonic with a heavy bullet, designed to operate semi autos, but not having much luck!)

Yes Matt although I think it runs better on CCI Mini Mag although I'm convinced Force & Contact group better.

To be honest I haven't been able to use it as much as I would have liked this year due to ongoing spinal problems. I should add I've had the op and am currently on crutches and recovering... again! 😉

27 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Yes Matt although I think it runs better on CCI Mini Mag although I'm convinced Force & Contact group better.

To be honest I haven't been able to use it as much as I would have liked this year due to ongoing spinal problems. I should add I've had the op and am currently on crutches and recovering... again! 😉

Thanks Mick - didn't realise you were having another rebuild - hope you have a speedy recovery!

I've been using skplus (which is subsonic) - it's ridiculously accurate, but greasy like Eley stuff and always eventually clogs the thing. Just had a play with minimag, and it ran like an enthusiatic -and clean, but loud- sewing machine!   

Grease aside, does the force/contact give a noticeably bigger kick to the bolt than other subs?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 1:48 AM, bradders said:

X9svTXx.gif

True. One of my most accurate 22's is a Brno 511. Plain, standard rifle that shoots ammo it likes (a key element) into a single hole at 25M if i do my job. ~Andrew

My CZ 455 loves RWS Rifle Match.  I've tried Eley - (various but not Tenex), CCI Minimag and standard, Fed, American Eagle, - all pretty poor by comparison to RWS RM