UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Hi,

Some help please.

I have a slot for a 6.5 x 55 on my license.

How limited am I to this calibre. Is a 6.5 Creedmoor, Grendel permissible or indeed any 6.5 such as 6.5 x 47

You could go for a 6.5x55AI or standard 6.5x55 but not a 6.5x47, 260 rem etc. If you change your mind then you will need a 1 for 1 variation. If your ticket had shown a 6.5mm rifle then you could have taken your choice

27 minutes ago, onpar said:

I have a slot for a 6.5 x 55 on my license.

Is a 6.5 Creedmoor, Grendel permissible or indeed any 6.5 such as 6.5 x 47

No. You are limited to that specific calibre as listed on your certificate (not "license").

However, any variation that does not increase the number of "weapons" on your FAC is free of charge. Select the calibre you really want, then bung in a free one-for-one variation.

maximus otter

as others have said you can only buy a 6.5x55 as thats what your fac has on it .dont be put off by the 6.5x55 being an old caliber other than requiring a long action there is nothing any of the other calibers can do that the 6.5x55 cant,and i think the 6.5x55 does it better.85grs to140grs modern loads as good if not better than a 260 rem,easy to load and cases/bullets etc always available.get the 6.5x55 you wont regret it.

2 minutes ago, banus02 said:

get the 6.5x55 you wont regret it.

+1

maximus otter

I was planning to go to 1000 yards. Will a 6.5 x 55 be able to achieve this. I read that a 6.5 creedmoor is the way to go

Just found the following re 6.5 v creedmoor. Thanks for helping out:

However, reading srvets response, would I be permitted to request my slot be changed for a 6.5 allowing flexibility of choice.

In a modern rifle, hand loading the 6.5x55 or 6.5x55AI will out perform all the others anyway.....

There's little appreciable real world difference between any of them. The Creed offers slightly less case capacity to the Swede, and about the same capacity as the 260 Rem but a steeper shoulder angle than either which is meant to improve accuracy potential, but any of the 6.5s will get you to 1000.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:06 PM, onpar said:

If I put in for a variation that just shows 6.5 than I can I choose any 6.5 variant

I had a variation for a 6.5mm bolt action and then acquired a .260 ..  the firearms department then told me I shouldn't have it !  I had to then send ticket in to have it changed to .260 .... crazy

If you home load go for 6.5CM as its expensive to buy factory ammo , otherwise with the 6.5x55 SE factory ammo is from around £17.00/20 and theres loads of choice.

12 hours ago, sandtrap said:

I had a variation for a 6.5mm bolt action and then acquired a .260 ..  the firearms department then told me I shouldn't have it !  I had to then send ticket in to have it changed to .260 .... crazy

I've two 6mm slots free; Me: "Can I buy a .243?" HQ via FEO "No, you need to do a 1-4-1 for a .243". Logic!

50 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

I've two 6mm slots free; Me: "Can I buy a .243?" HQ via FEO "No, you need to do a 1-4-1 for a .243". Logic!

Imbeciles.  Perhaps on  such applications, the applicant should simply include a metric to imperial converter for the poor loves.