Moderator for .308 STR ?

Happy New Year everyone!

I like the idea of quieting my Sabatti .308win STR down a bit with a moderator. It currently has a muzzle break that it came with, but it does bark a bit and it has been suggested to me that there might be situations where the hot air etc that flies out each side of the MB might piss folk off at some ranges. At my indoor range I get a mixed response to it varying from awe to being told I'm an antisocial git! At Severnside I have had no negative comments, save a teenage girl who commented it was very noisy (wasn't sure whether her comment was appreciative  or negative, but i have long since lost the ability to speak teenese)

I picked up a moderator for my .22 for buttons from my local RFD, but he had nothing for the STR. All the ones I have seen have been very expensive on-line. I'm not 100% sure but I think the barrel is 5/8" x 24 UNEF, though this was gleaned from Sabatti's web site which isn't necessarily correct.

I have had a couple of ASE utra's there prety good and robust but like all mod's heat up and cause mirage stick, to the brake unless you realy have to change.

I shoot at Severnside and shooting next to someone there in a narrow shared lane using a 308 with muzzle brake is no fun...it is anti-social and painful on the ears and usually results in headaches and ringing ears for the poor soul next to the muzzle brake user, never mind the rubbish that's blown into your face with each shot, and the tendency to flinch with each shot which invariably happens.  In 308, I'd recommend the Aimzonic Triton or DPT mods.  The former I think is a better design with a separate threaded insert for each rifle meaning you can buy a 30 cal mod and used it for everything under 30 cal (less effective as cal drops but muzzle blast becomes less of an issue too).  It also benefits from stainless internals.  The DPT has a stainless rear baffle which is replaceable and is very efficient.  The ASE Utra suppressors are also excellent, and if a lighter alloy overbarrel one is considered, the Stalons are meant to be good too.  All available between £200 and £300.

19 hours ago, VarmLR said:

I shoot at Severnside and shooting next to someone there in a narrow shared lane using a 308 with muzzle brake is no fun...it is anti-social and painful on the ears and usually results in headaches and ringing ears for the poor soul next to the muzzle brake user, never mind the rubbish that's blown into your face with each shot, and the tendency to flinch with each shot which invariably happens.  In 308, I'd recommend the Aimzonic Triton or DPT mods.  The former I think is a better design with a separate threaded insert for each rifle meaning you can buy a 30 cal mod and used it for everything under 30 cal (less effective as cal drops but muzzle blast becomes less of an issue too).  It also benefits from stainless internals.  The DPT has a stainless rear baffle which is replaceable and is very efficient.  The ASE Utra suppressors are also excellent, and if a lighter alloy overbarrel one is considered, the Stalons are meant to be good too.  All available between £200 and £300.

Lest I piss you off at Severnside, assuming I haven't already, I am now in possession of a used Wildcat Predator 8 mod.

For a hundred quid I just had to machine the dacron bit at the back to fit over my rather plump barrel - five minutes on my lathe.

If the wind moderates (intentional pun) I'll give it a try at Severnside on Saturday, along with my new portable shooting bench. 

Thanks for all the comments; from my researches it seems that Muzzle brakes are best unless you're annoying folk in, which case it's best to stick on a mod. 

1 hour ago, Ralpharama said:

Lest I piss you off at Severnside, assuming I haven't already, I am now in possession of a used Wildcat Predator 8 mod.

For a hundred quid I just had to machine the dacron bit at the back to fit over my rather plump barrel - five minutes on my lathe.

If the wind moderates (intentional pun) I'll give it a try at Severnside on Saturday, along with my new portable shooting bench. 

Thanks for all the comments; from my researches it seems that Muzzle brakes are best unless you're annoying folk in, which case it's best to stick on a mod. 

I try not to shoot next to someone shooting 308 or larger with a brake and no, you haven't shot next to me using your brake.  If you had to suffer the same, you'd understand, rather than making sarcastic comments.  It's worse for someone to the side of you than it is for the shooter.  I also shoot with a brake on a smaller cal but bring a mod with me in case there is anyone shooting close to me because it's the gentlemanly thing to do  ;)

Muzzle breaks: .... Majority of shooters I know use one because of aesthetics - Boy racer in a sooped-up Saxo springs to mind...

Antisocial awful things ....and unquestionably ruins the shooter's next to you day out... in any cartridge

18 hours ago, VarmLR said:

I try not to shoot next to someone shooting 308 or larger with a brake and no, you haven't shot next to me using your brake.  If you had to suffer the same, you'd understand, rather than making sarcastic comments.  It's worse for someone to the side of you than it is for the shooter.  I also shoot with a brake on a smaller cal but bring a mod with me in case there is anyone shooting close to me because it's the gentlemanly thing to do  ;)

I have to be honest, I was a tad wounded by the accusation of sarcasm. It was most definitely not intended; I did genuinely buy the mod as a direct result of your post - the last thing I want to do is piss folk off, particularly at a range I frequent. At my local indoor 50m range I have experienced the unpleasant effects of sitting to the side of someone with a large caliber rifl, particularly a 300 win mag, with a muzzle break. I have been to Caldicott quite a number of times now and have never had no negative comments and no one suggested I should have a mod. People have been shooting with 30cal rifles with breaks near me and it didn't seem especially bad being outside. The only time I have had to share a firing position there I did ask the other chap if he minded and he replied that it didn't bother him in the slightest.

I am new to the sport and have found that opinions on muzzle brakes seem to be as polarised as everything else in this sport.

My apologies...it just came over a little that way...no offence intended hence the smilie! :D  Peace.

You're being generous and thoughtful in your approach and many at the range will appreciate that.  When you have to shoot pretty close to people using muzzle brakes and they're either side of you to boot, it can ruin your day and put you off wanting to come back, trust me.  It's not a pleasant experience.  

Using a mod will help reduce recoil and save your hearing (plus that of those around you) so is a good thing.  Best of luck with it and hope you're enjoying your foray into shooting at the club.

Varm.

16 hours ago, snakeman said:

Muzzle breaks: .... Majority of shooters I know use one because of aesthetics - Boy racer in a sooped-up Saxo springs to mind...

Antisocial awful things ....and unquestionably ruins the shooter's next to you day out... in any cartridge

As I said above, I am new to the sport and am getting very varied responses to the use or muzzle brakes. I have been told by keen target shooters that a muzzle brake is the perfect answer to accuracy and recoil, though they did say that at places like Bisley where people shoot closely packed one can be unpopular with one.

As for looks; to me my tactical rifle is pig ugly and I would far rather have a lovely walnut stock as in a hunting rifle, but I crave accuracy and so have bought what I have bought. I can't see what odds the thing hanging on the end of the barrel makes. Brakes are quite spectacular in the tunnel at my local range though! Fun for spectators, especially 300 win mags and bigger, but horrid to shoot next to!

The reason I didn't meg a mod straight away was that A&S FL forgot to put the requested mods on my ticket, so I had to reapply.

2 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

My apologies...it just came over a little that way...no offence intended hence the smilie! :D  Peace.

You're being generous and thoughtful in your approach and many at the range will appreciate that.  When you have to shoot pretty close to people using muzzle brakes and they're either side of you to boot, it can ruin your day and put you off wanting to come back, trust me.  It's not a pleasant experience.  

Using a mod will help reduce recoil and save your hearing (plus that of those around you) so is a good thing.  Best of luck with it and hope you're enjoying your foray into shooting at the club.

Varm.

I'm loving it there; I really like Richard - he's a real character, though I have realised he's very choosy about who he likes, I was lucky :lol:

Had to be towed out on my second visit, so had to buy a cheap 4x4!

Want to go tomorrow, though it's looking a tad windy at 2:00 16-17 gusting 28-30. Not sure if it's viable?

Wanted to try my new slot together bench thing that should arrive today!

If you're not load developing and just want the opportunity of a shot, you could try it but in those conditions it'd be a struggle, and you may find few, if anyone, turns up.  The only thing is it's likely to be boggy and very damp (it always is this time of yer after rain) and Richard likely wont want any cars on the grass, so it may be a case of walking across to the lanes in squelchy conditions. I'll be leaving it for a while I think.

There are muzzle brakes and there are awful muzzle brakes. 

I used to shoot my old TRG with a brake (at Severnside) and at one time the guy next to me, who is a good friend, stopped shooting because of the “bark”. I had no idea how bad it was until then.

I shot with another friend, when he ran in his AI .338, and the bark from that brake was downright painful. The same friend shoots an AX 308 and that is tame by comparison.

Getting my popcorn !!!!

Could not be any worse than the selfish fecker at Minsterley Ranges last year, sat in middle position who cleared all firing positions left and right of him, despite polite requests no to blitz us with his short barreled and braked .338.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be honest and say I hate my 'new' mod with a passion. Outside the noise hasn't been a problem with my brake. Since I have been using the mod it has been heating up quite a bit and making it damn near impossible to see the target through the scope after a number of shots. 

Having talked to quite a lot of people about muzzle brakes, views seem quite polarised; some suggesting they are the work of Satan himself and others who consider them a far better solution than something that generates lots of heat . As an engineer I am concerned about the localised hating up of my precision barrel. I do accept that being close to someone shooting with a brake I'd less than pleasant, so think that I may take a view on the day as to the proximity overs other when deciding on what to fit. Being a sociable soul ,I think asking those around me it they mind me using the brake is probably going to be the best for me.

I am, however, interested in the mention of a mod cover. No one has mentioned it to me, when I have been discussing the problems I have encountered when using the mod and I have never seen such a thing for sale. I should very much like to hear more.

Hi, 

Moddy covers are popular for protecting the mod and for reducing the mirage.

Mirage is always going  to occur on quick shot strings. 

Moddy covers help and barrel blinds (Google is your friend) help with barrel mirage. I made a DIY blind for an older. 308 and it works perfectly.  

Moddy covers - You can get cheap neoprene one for less than 20 quid however I have a Tab Gear cover on order from sporting services. YouTube moderator  covers on trial  to get the idea. Check Sporting Services Web site, they have Moddy covers and AI barrel blinds so you will get what I'm talking about. 

Outdoors (without a cover)  the haze isn't too bad if you have a slight breeze but If your shooting indoors (no breeze at all)  it's pretty bad. you can try a small battery operated desk fan (off eBay for less than 10 quid). I use one perched  on an Ammo box and it eliminates the haze immediately. 

As to your frustration, relax it's all part of the journey,!   :0) 

All the best

G

Archived