ear defenders

25dynod

https://hwass.co.uk/shop/hearing-protection/254355-3m-peltor-protac-ii-ear-muffs/

Here's a pic of mine to show the difference.....................the model III is completely different again (and considerably cheaper at £85ish.) but the seals look different to mine. I find the mkII cups very large and comfortable to wear with glasses.

The main plus point is the 32dB attenuation, so a quiet thud when you pull the trigger on your 20" barrelled & braked 308, and being able to hear what the guys on the next lane are calling you when you accidentally hit a V on their target.

Re-Pete

I had grommets and perforated ear drums when I was a kid.the earaches I ever had were bloody terrible.i had my ear drums skin grafted etc and I am not keen on putting stuff inside my ears that's why I prefer the earmuffs and I am a tight git :D

I just replaced my old Sordin basics with Supreme Pro-X's, with gel pads. Never felt anything so comfy.....

Expensive? No doubt, but super comfy.

I've used most of them over the years and quite like MSA Sorodin's; that is until this week when I tried to replace the batteries!

One battery is hidden round a corner in the compartment and is very difficult to get out.

The battery compartment design leaves a lot to be desired, but I've managed to find a service centre near Emsworth in Sussex for them.

Just waiting on a reply to my email. 

2 hours ago, Grum87 said:

I just replaced my old Sordin basics with Supreme Pro-X's, with gel pads. Never felt anything so comfy.....

Expensive? No doubt, but super comfy.

Why did you replace the basics?

I have found a company that produces gel cups for Howard leight ear protection. This is an option for me although I was also looking at the sordin basics.

They were out of warranty and had developed an intermittent fault, suspect a corroded contact or wire somewhere.

I dare say they could of gone to be serviced or fixed.....

On 12/29/2017 at 1:30 PM, Strangely Brown said:

I've used most of them over the years and quite like MSA Sorodin's; that is until this week when I tried to replace the batteries!

One battery is hidden round a corner in the compartment and is very difficult to get out.

The battery compartment design leaves a lot to be desired, but I've managed to find a service centre near Emsworth in Sussex for them.

Just waiting on a reply to my email. 

A ball point pen does the trick. It takes 2 seconds.

Would that be the ball point pen I ruined?

Or the many screwdrivers and various pointed bits of metal I employed. This is the second time I have had problems getting batteries out of these, I suspect the batteries swell a bit which is the problem, although they are the Lithium variety which don't usually lose shape. 

• 1 month later...

Job done!

It's taken the best part of 8 weeks to get my ear defenders back, Talking headsets apologised for the delay and have been waiting on parts from MSA Sordin. (good comms the whole time from Talking Headsets)

The cost was £46 and I am now in possession of Trigger's broom! There's very little I recognise of the originals having had the ear pads, circuitry and head band replaced as part of their fixed price repair. 

I would go as far to say the squelch has been reduced and the sound if far clearer than when I bought them.

On 28/12/2017 at 5:19 PM, Re-Pete said:

https://hwass.co.uk/shop/hearing-protection/254355-3m-peltor-protac-ii-ear-muffs/

Here's a pic of mine to show the difference.....................the model III is completely different again (and considerably cheaper at £85ish.) but the seals look different to mine. I find the mkII cups very large and comfortable to wear with glasses.

The main plus point is the 32dB attenuation, so a quiet thud when you pull the trigger on your 20" barrelled & braked 308, and being able to hear what the guys on the next lane are calling you when you accidentally hit a V on their target.

Re-Pete

I just bought a pair of those as recently had cause to have a hearing exam/ear test as tinnitus was getting worse.  Found that one of my ear drums had burst, probably as a result of being within 5 or 6m of a numpty who squeezed off a round on his braked 308 after the RO called cease fire.  He hadn't heard as he was wearing ex army ear muffs and couldn't hear the RO....apparently.  I'd just removed mine.

Decided that marginal or not, the additional hearing protection of the Peltor MkII Protac was worth having.  Was quite surprised about how much better they are although for the shottie, I may stick with the slimmer sportac.

On 25/02/2018 at 3:04 AM, Chris-NZ said:

You'll never get a perforation from that sort of small arms fire. Artillery close up is a different matter..

Don't know about that Chris but I'm no ENT doc.  It is fairly recent damage I'm told and the only time I was caught out was when close to a rifle using a brake...can't think of any other explanation for it.  Mind, I also use in-ear plugs for shooting and the bike (until recently) and I wonder of these are partly to blame as the health professional said that they discouraged in ear plugs due to many people getting either infections (which can lead to ear drum damage) or compressing earwax and causing issues that way. 

I have been close up to artillery/multiple small arms and anti-tank weaponry use but that was some years back now. 

Archived