ear defenders

25dynod

hi, can anybody recommend a good pair of reasonably priced electronic ear defenders? right now i have a set of peltors but find them awkward as i have to use 2 batteries in each ear piece and they are a pain to get into to replace.

i have tried howard leight impact sport but find them lacking for noise cancelling as i shoot a lot indoors. i have just bought a new set of them, my second set, and my ears are ringing from yesterdays indoor .22 shoot. this was exactly what happened with the first set but i thought i would give them a second chance.

i am only looking for recommendations  not an arguement.

manythanks for any help/assistance.

davie

Peltor Pro Tac does it for me..............I've even started the drive home with 'em  still on.

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=933&Product_Id=31&ProductCategory_Id=38

Re-Pete

Peltor Sportac for me.  Haven't found an issue with battery changes (batteries last ages too).  Prefer the lower profile to the Protacs fuller shape as I can use them with the shotguns too. They're not quite as effective as the Protacs though (SNR of 26 compared to 32 for the Protacs).

3 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I've ever bothered with any fancy ear defenders.i just use ex military ones.if there good enough for our soldiers there good enough for me ?

Like SA-80? Boots, DMS? Nylon macs? 

:lol:

maximus otter

MO, what was the issue with the Sordins?

We give our clients basic Peltors for range use and for pistol/ carbine courses as instructors we use the same  Peltor mil muffs because they are electronic and can crank up the volume to here what’s going on behind the firing point. 

In my rifle kit I have Sordins, the wiring  or rather the rubber wire sheathing seems more durable on the Sordins, plus they fit my head a bit better and do not contact the cheek piece which is important for comfort and keeping the pads sealed against your head ( little use otherwise). Everyone’s face shape will be different so what works for one may well not work for another.

The  biggest difference that I notice between muffs is weight. If they are electronic or not. Doing a weeks carbine course wearing electronic muffs all day it Is nice to change out to bog standard light muffs. The electronic gubbins is just a necessary evil for us.

On 23/12/2017 at 5:44 PM, Re-Pete said:

Peltor Pro Tac does it for me..............I've even started the drive home with 'em  still on.

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=933&Product_Id=31&ProductCategory_Id=38

Re-Pete

The pro tac 2 look good as well. I've had my set for a good while now and they are spot on. If there is one bit of kit I would spend money on its hearing protection, once damaged its gone for good.... if you want reactive it's best paying decent money and getting the latest electronics, some electronics recognise and attenuate the shot quicker than others and that initial 'spike' can cause some damage over a long time period depending on how much /what you shoot. Potentially something to consider perhaps?

Some of the reactive sets that you can get made to be moulded to your ear look Gucci and will be my choice when the peltors go u/s but won't be anytime soon.

Sorry, mine are Mk2's...........looks like I posted the wrong link.

Worn 'em for around 50 half day  shoots now, and they still have the original batteries in.

Weak points are the two little foam rubber mic covers. If you're not a bit careful, they can get split/fall off. We keep ours in a couple of Poundshop plastic boxes.

Re-Pete

On 26/12/2017 at 1:59 PM, No i deer said:

These ear defenders are very good at blocking out every noise.the downside is you can't hear what shooters around you are saying :D

That's a downside?

:ph34r:

I still have a pair of the std issue army ear protectors issued when I was shooting the L1A1.  They are pretty effective but a little bulky.  What I like about them now that I'm a glasses wearer is that they clamp pretty firmly.  If the Peltors have a downside it's that it doesn't take much to break the seal thus significantly reducing the protection offered.  I don't find the ear cups quite large enough on the Sportacs, which is their Achilles heal for me.  

17 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

Weak points are the two little foam rubber mic covers. If you're not a bit careful, they can get split/fall off.

I had that issue. A drop of cyanoacrylate "superglue" applied with a toothpick secured the errant foam.

maximus otter

Archived