Bench rest v Prone

Now I'm starting to shoot at slightly longer ranges100/200 yards I need to decide whether to try making a portable bench or to continue with the mat. I don't find prone shooting very comfortable giving me neck and shoulder aches and pains. Accuracy is important to me, but I do find shooting off the benches at my local 50m indoor range far more comfortable. I do intend to find longer ranges to shoot at. 

Is it possible to achieve good accuracy off a portable bench if carefully designed?

If you make one that is rock solid with no wobble then I would say yes.    Depends on what you consider 'solid' that is acceptable for you.

I shoot at Diggle ranges near Oldham and their benches are solid concrete affairs and that gives me the confidence to prove my loads (apart from the Diggle winds which are the main factor to affect my group sizes).    But if you shoot on a bench that is slightly unsteady and depending on what kind of front and/or rear rests you use,  that could cause confusion as to what is the problem if your testing results are not conclusive,  i.e. your load or the rifle is not completely steady which you do need for testing/comps.

So it does all depend on what level of accuracy you require (quarter minute of accuracy?) that will determine how solid you build it to allow for easy portable set up.    That is also a determining factor if you have to lug it some distance.

Just my twopennorth.   Have fun. 

EDIT.

Here are a few photos of more solid benches from Diggle (concrete) and Gelston (wood).    Maybe a little too difficult to be portable but solid and not wobbly.    As Gbal suggests a Black and Decker workbench with a slight modification is more than ok as a starter.

download.jpg

20229324_1764766017154787_3300498043924064758_n.jpg

Ralph, if you are not comfortable prone,then the portable bench is the answer (or military ranges with stand in trenches). Yes.such benches can be very steady-depends on design. Some compromise of portability with weight is neccessary. A front rest whiere the rifle simply slides back (as Ful BenchRest) with a rear bag is great,and  eliminates any bipod jump etc. Plastic,or better,see below... Slide is better than jump.

Some ranges allow car access to drop off  such gear.Or you can consider a (powered) trolley -either Carp fishing cart-seems to  need lots of gear,or 'golf trolley' designThere are various design plans available on the net,for plywood portables,and a poster here (in Devon?) used to do one  well under £150.I use a Black and Decker basic work bench,with added 'plank' for some length-which will take a medium Bench rest if I'm half serious,and a polystyrene bullsbag if I'm a bit less so-these give quite surprising slide recoil steadiness,and the long ones (15") are all you need for rifle support,and are  as light as you fill them - Polystyrene/rice mix?)

Best check the range allows them.BUt they are a very acceptable solution-I'd say better than prone-it's no shooting compromise,but if it's physical,then rather satisfactory. Don't forget a cushioned seat. Good designing!

gbal

7 hours ago, That bald headed Geordie said:

If you make one that is rock solid with no wobble then I would say yes.    Depends on what you consider 'solid' that is acceptable for you.

I shoot at Diggle ranges near Oldham and their benches are solid concrete affairs and that gives me the confidence to prove my loads (apart from the Diggle winds which are the main factor to affect my group sizes).    But if you shoot on a bench that is slightly unsteady and depending on what kind of front and/or rear rests you use,  that could cause confusion as to what is the problem if your testing results are not conclusive,  i.e. your load or the rifle is not completely steady which you do need for testing/comps.

So it does all depend on what level of accuracy you require (quarter minute of accuracy?) that will determine how solid you build it to allow for easy portable set up.    That is also a determining factor if you have to lug it some distance.

Just my twopennorth.   Have fun. 

EDIT.

Here are a few photos of more solid benches from Diggle (concrete) and Gelston (wood).    Maybe a little too difficult to be portable but solid and not wobbly.    As Gbal suggests a Black and Decker workbench with a slight modification is more than ok as a starter.

download.jpg

20229324_1764766017154787_3300498043924064758_n.jpg

Call that a rifle ?.that Gotta be nion cheating ?

If anyone wants to be a cheater,  send a s.a.e. and a cheque for £200 to enroll in our University and after a 5 week course (modules via the internet) subject to passing our intensive course and you will receive your Certificate of Cheating.    This Certificate is embossed in vellum and is accepted at any approved rifle range throughout the UK and allows the Cheater to use any and all means to win any competition.

18 minutes ago, Big Al said:

And whats so wrong with cheating? ;)

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 19.25.49.png

:ph34r::o:wub: I've got to admit, that "Big Dog" is a thing of superb accuracy. Whether people like it, or not, it is a proven record breaker and a credit to its builder. :D

11 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

Now I'm starting to shoot at slightly longer ranges100/200 yards I need to decide whether to try making a portable bench or to continue with the mat. I don't find prone shooting very comfortable giving me neck and shoulder aches and pains. Accuracy is important to me, but I do find shooting off the benches at my local 50m indoor range far more comfortable. I do intend to find longer ranges to shoot at. 

Is it possible to achieve good accuracy off a portable bench if carefully designed?

Sorry to hijack your thread Ralph, back to the benches, have you considered one of these?

http://www.formriflestocks.co.uk/stocks/hardwood-ply-shooting-benches

I struggle to lie prone due to back issues so understand its not always just a case of getting accustomed to it.

I use a home made bench when I’m doing load development or breaking in a barrel at Severnside only because it’s easier.

However, the wind always blows on the estuary and on gusty days it’s difficult to maintain stability. The advantage of shooting prone is the ground doesn’t move.

Like the OP I used to find shooting prone very painful until I had to see a physiotherapist because of a repetitive strain injury. The exercises he gave me inadvertently cured the muscle pains resulting from prone shooting. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/12/2017 at 8:36 PM, Big Al said:

Sorry to hijack your thread Ralph, back to the benches, have you considered one of these?

http://www.formriflestocks.co.uk/stocks/hardwood-ply-shooting-benches

I struggle to lie prone due to back issues so understand its not always just a case of getting accustomed to it.

Thanks for the tip Al. Had one delivered yesterday and took it to Severnside to evaluate today. Bloody brilliant! Really easy to put together and rock steady. I was shooting better groups than I did previously prone, so not only have a saved the neck ache but it's improved my accuracy :) Can't recommend this bench strongly enough!

2 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

Thanks for the tip Al. Had one delivered yesterday and took it to Severnside to evaluate today. Bloody brilliant! Really easy to put together and rock steady. I was shooting better groups than I did previously prone, so not only have a saved the neck ache but it's improved my accuracy :) Can't recommend this bench strongly enough!

Good to hear Ralf :)

• ds1 locked this topic
1 hour ago, bradders said:

I see the deleter in chief has shown up, no surprise there

Bradders et al, if you wish to contribute to posts please do the original poster the courtesy of replying to that original topic and whilst some topics do meander let's keep on track whenever possible.

None of the moderators simply delete post 'because they don't agree with them' neither do we 'snipe' at individual posters. We simply strive to maintain the forum as a courteous, informative and pleasurable resource for those interested in precision shoooting to visit and join in constructive conversation and information sharing. There is a wealth of knowledge available from some very experienced individuals who more often than not are more than happy to share that knowledge with the less experienced.Lets keep it that way.

If posts are offensive, off topic or likely to bring  shooting into disrepute they will most likely be deleted. 

Archived