UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Gluv

Field firing solutions

Out of interest, has anybody been using ffs ? Seems well regarded with the cousins, although rather expensive.

I must admit I do like the idea of using the Trimble to run the software ...mobile phones have terrible battery life and are rather fragile. I just wonder given its cost , how it actually stacks upto Strellok pro for example?

Anybody have any insights?

Gluv

FFS and Coldbore are probably the two best options if you are into ELR shooting. Consensus is that they are in a league of their own over point mass solutions like AB, Strelok etc if you are going out to extreme distance and pushing the boundaries. On a .308 to 1,000 yards or so for example you are not really going to see the difference so you are paying an awful lot if you are just looking for an alternative platform to run a solver on. 

If money is no issue and you want the best then you won’t go wrong with one of these two. 

TJC

re. Cold Bore and FFS - they both seem to run in the field on the Windows Mobile operating system which has put me off when I looked previously as it is an obsolete OS - or am I missing something?

T

I think if you are into ELR then putting up with a Windows OS comes with the territory. 

I run the AB Kestrel which like many of the apps will get you on target if you aren’t pushing the boundaries and I use window based products on a PC at home for analysis/insight/a bit like how guys would use Quickload. 

I would def buy an IOS based version but it doesn’t seem to be on the agenda. 

1 hour ago, terryh said:

TJC

re. Cold Bore and FFS - they both seem to run in the field on the Windows Mobile operating system which has put me off when I looked previously as it is an obsolete OS - or am I missing something?

T

Apparently the obsolete os is a bonus .According to the users ,as its old all of the faults have been worked out .The other bonus is ,there's no annoying updates every five minutes to throw a spanner into a system that is working.

According to the users in USA the Trimble is totally bomb proof.

I do believe a lot of courier type company's use them

Agreed. It’s amazing software and hardware. Expensive but just about the best there is. 

I have no issues dropping £ onto a product/item, it is the fact of doing so to try something out, especially to do so knowingly with an unsupported/obsolete  OS, does not add up.

might be able to borrow a Trimble thru work, if so then will look at buying the product(s)

T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

I have no issues dropping £ onto a product/item, it is the fact of doing so to try something out, especially to do so knowingly with an unsupported/obsolete  OS, does not add up.

might be able to borrow a Trimble thru work, if so then will look at buying the product(s)

T

Terry

Theres probably hundreds of thousands of Trimbles in use .As said ,all the couriers/ Royal Mail etc use them.I think it's a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!

Only place I have seen in Europe providing ffs is in Italy .The website is on ffs home page.At least that means no import duty ! 🙂