Creedmoor or 6.5x55

Hi I have a tikka t3 6.5x55 looking to get it re barreled, is there any advantage changing to creedmoor.I know the creedmoor fits a short action but as the tikka is long action it makes no difference.

Could anyone here list the advantages and disadvantages

Thanks

My own take in the "which 6.5" debate is this:

They're all capable of very good 1000 yd performance;  availability in factory chamberings has improved with Creedmoor this past few years whilst it seems that 6 x 47 is harder to obtain in factory offerings, at least in the UK.  6.5 x 55 is a great all round cartridge but I don't see that it has any ballistic advantages over a Creedmoor other than the potential (given the use of slightly longer barrels) of running larger charges at lower pressures for similar results.

Personally, I have come to really like the Creedmoor. It's a slightly more efficient cartridge and with things like small primer brass from Lapua widely available and the same great bullet choice, it can be run at between 55 and 60,000 psi (under max) for near identical performance to the Swede, or even exceed it with slightly higher pressure loadings.  It also has the theoretical advantage of the shallower shoulder angle which reputedly allows for better concentricity consistency when chambering.

My own initial results (no moderator...there's a story about moderators to come and the potential issues with some of them and the Tikka TAC Creedmoor) were ragged one hole groups from the off.  It's a stunningly accurate cartridge and for me, a great all round alternative to my .308.

If I already had a Swede, I'd probably stick with it simply due to brass being cheaper and a wider choice available, and due to lower pressures meaning potentially longer barrel life.  Having said that, the Creed' shot at sensible pressures ticks a few more boxes for me.

They (Creedmoor, 260, 6.5X47 and 6.5X55) are all four of them excellent cartridges. In a short action repeater, my first choice would also be the Creedmoor, but accept that the 6.5X47L is the 6.5mm cartridge  of choice for many and is a proven top performer. Darrel Evans (aka Foxing-2-Nite on UKV) continues to produce amazingly consistent and small groups from his AI based rifle showing what it can do - 3.019" 'agg' of 4 groups in the UKBRA 600 yard benchrest match at Diggle a week ago being typical.

Ironically, my next 6.5 will go back in time to the now less fashionable 260 Rem AI. It would be Creedmoor, but the FN/Winchester M70 bolt simply doesn't work with small primer, high pressure cartridges. Anyway, I've always fancied a play with an AI 'improved' and the 260 looks a good one especially if the rifle is set up for non-SAAMI COALs through use of a long action or single -loading in a long-throated short one. I also have a 6.5X55 Bartlein as a spare barrel for my currently 7mm-08 F rifle which will go back when the seven is shot out, and it is a proven performer. So, I've got to be seen as a conservative stick-in-the-mud when it comes to my own choices in the calibre.   :)

48 minutes ago, stephentri said:

Hi regarding barrel length I don't want to go any longer than 24 inches as rifle will be used for deer stalking as well as target ,would this change your choice.

24 inches would be fine in Creedmoor and allow a compact enough rifle for stalking and a long enough barrel to get you easily out to 1200 yards without silly pressures being needed.  I use 140gr bullets for both target and hunting with mine although I do not use the Tac A1 for stalking (too heavy  when kitted out) but it makes for a very a fine LR vermin control rifle where it and my little 223 do most of the work.  

A standard Tikka T3 with a sporter or even some match profile barrels of 24 inch length would be fine.  I have a match contour 26 inch on my 223 and can carry that around all day no problems.

If using a 6.5 x 55 I'd personally want a longer barrel to make the most of the extra case capacity but plenty of manufacturers offer the Swede in shorter barrel lengths.

As Laurie rightly says, all of them are great choices and you won't go wrong with whichever you decide on.

9 hours ago, stephentri said:

Hi regarding barrel length I don't want to go any longer than 24 inches as rifle will be used for deer stalking as well as target ,would this change your choice.

You could just trade in your rifle for a new tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creedmoor .

I bought one in 308 and use it for stalking and targets. 

Yes, usable in a short action and lots of current 'sexy' rifles available for it. If you fancy a 'Blackticool' type rifle from Ruger, Bergara, Tikka, Savage, and about six more makers and don't fancy 308 Win, then this or 6mm Creedmoor is the cartridge for you.) 

Excellent strong small primer brass (Lapua not Hornady). Factory ammo if needed (but not nearly as much in the UK as 6.5X55.) With handloading and small primer brass can (and no doubt will be) hotrodded just like 6.5X47L has been. (Not a completely unalloyed plus IMHO, but I'm in a minority on this.) Like the  6.5X47L, it is a very efficient little cartridge, but offers a bit more powder capacity than the Lapua design.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, Laurie said:

They (Creedmoor, 260, 6.5X47 and 6.5X55) are all four of them excellent cartridges. In a short action repeater, my first choice would also be the Creedmoor, but accept that the 6.5X47L is the 6.5mm cartridge  of choice for many and is a proven top performer. Darrel Evans (aka Foxing-2-Nite on UKV) continues to produce amazingly consistent and small groups from his AI based rifle showing what it can do - 3.019" 'agg' of 4 groups in the UKBRA 600 yard benchrest match at Diggle a week ago being typical.

Ironically, my next 6.5 will go back in time to the now less fashionable 260 Rem AI. It would be Creedmoor, but the FN/Winchester M70 bolt simply doesn't work with small primer, high pressure cartridges. Anyway, I've always fancied a play with an AI 'improved' and the 260 looks a good one especially if the rifle is set up for non-SAAMI COALs through use of a long action or single -loading in a long-throated short one. I also have a 6.5X55 Bartlein as a spare barrel for my currently 7mm-08 F rifle which will go back when the seven is shot out, and it is a proven performer. So, I've got to be seen as a conservative stick-in-the-mud when it comes to my own choices in the calibre.   :)

What load does foxing 2 nite use.....?

Archived