Rifle twist

moonfleet

I have been looking for a new rifle probably a tikka T3x  but have seen a rifle that I rather like  it’s also in .223 but its in 1in10 twist only, what weight heads would this stabilise ?I know the tikka is 1in 8  which appeals to me  which would you go for going on twist rate?

It would probably stabilise the 60 grain v-max, but I doubt anything heavier.

69 grain bullets usually need a 1 in 9"

Thats a strange twist on a .223...are you sure thats what it is ?

That’s what I was told it’s a Sauer 202 ,I don’t know anything about Sauer just thought I’d ask.it does however look like a very nice rifle I’ll probably end up getting the tikka T3x as I think they offer good value for money and I believe a one in eight twist.

3 hours ago, moonfleet said:

I’ll probably end up getting the tikka T3x as I think they offer good value for money and I believe a one in eight twist.

I think the Tikka come in either 1:8" or 1:12" ....  my .22-250, like the 222 comes in 1:14"

Baldie is correct. About 60 grains is the limit. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 1-10" and absolutely love it. I normally shoot 50 grain VM but I shoot prairiedogs out to 450 with it. That's a good stretch for a pint-sized rodent.

I also have the Tikka 1-8" T3 (as well as several other 1-8" guns) and i have no problem with 50 -52 grain bullets. My favorite rough use gun is a Ruger American Ranch in 223/ 1-8" and it shoots 50 grain Noslers into very small groups when seated over a stout load of Varget.~Andrew

Archived