Is it worth coughing up for a genuine Harris bipod or are the clones as good in real terms. I have bought a cheap clone (£40) for the .22, but wonder if it will be man enough for my .308 Sabatti STR. What ever I buy I will need an adaptor for the rail. Are there better BiPods out there I should be considering?

Ralph,your 'doubts' about the cheap clone are understandable for the 308 application-you could it  and see,but there is some risk.   Cheaper clones vary,no-one ever thinks they are the equal,or better...over time.  Harris are good,and durable.

"Better ' gets a bit subjective-users talk about 'loading the bipod" and so on,and that can vary. The 'Atlas" bipods follow the generic Harris  'style' and are both well regarded-very well,by most-and  more expensive (2,or 3 times £)-it seems a try and see,really but few  criticise the Atlas series,except as they do for Harris-doesn't quite suit them ('Quite" is important here- both can be excellent,it's ultimate fine tuning...).

Then you are into Fclass level different designs-ie not spring tension,but variably heavier -the Evolutions,Mystics,Sinclairs and so on-all bipods. In my experience,the Evo is ok,the Seb co axial is superb, light and co-ax joystick control that works,and the solidest,maybe, is the canadian Rempel bipod,beautifully engineered,heavy. All these are getting expensive-a used Seb joypod at £300 might be snapped up,a Rempel...well,be patient...not many about. Weight comes in-Rempel compromises eg F class limits,Seb Co-ax does  not...and there are just 'real/subjective ' differences-Rempel,eg.has 'ski feet' which slide-perhaps the opposite to loading/spikes into the ground-fine on a solid bench etc...

Horses for courses,jockeys and  investment!. When I'm shooting a carry weight  varminter-would something better than Harris really  be as good 'in the field"? (No) When shooting off a bench,what beats the Rempel....errr....emm..the Farley Co ax-20+lb front rest-the impressive Seb  co-ax bipod isn't quite as steady (what is-the Seb heavy BR models!),and what's the elegant,does it all ,lightish weight, very good-that would be the Seb  co-ax bipod (but these don't fold up along your barrel).

I'm not selling all/any of  my Harrises-they are pretty good,and I'd not personally risk £35-40 on a cheap copy....the swivel ones are best...2,20,40 years down  the line-that  still holds-I think I'd love the Atlas too- but if only one ever,for everything-and not field carry ,the excellent co axial Seb (and a Harris,please for field use.)

Hope this helps-if it seems complex,well-so are the variable shooting disciplines etc,and new stuff keeps coming...for £80-100 Harris is on it's own (I've had mine 50years)

gbal

I bought a cheap Harris clone and one of the sling stud dowels that insert into the sling stud was too tight and it fell out.who I bought it from on flea bay sent me another and it was exactly the same.the functional bits work fine but the fixing it to the rifle was crap.what can you  expect for £20 quid.ive glued the dowel in a couple of times but dont use it anymore.

I will admit I bought a cheap clone Harris when I lost my original last winter. What a pile of crap in comparison. I feel ashamed I bought a cheap copy. 

I really like harris bipods. However I also use an atlas at over twice the cost. It took some getting use to but I’ve managed to get the hang of it to be consistent in different positions, by that I mean not just on a tendered flat range!!!

I have a Phoenix bipod I’m yet to use as I’m awaiting the delivery of a new rifle that will allow me too mount it. The write up by Vince Bottomley aka Gun Pimp in target shooter online magazine is well worth a read. 

I have 3 Harris pods ive had for 17 years or so I use for hunting.these still work as if new.ive got a super short parker hale/AI type with AI spigot and friction screw.I have a Phoenix pod that is real nice.it's a little high for my liking and its the shortest one.I use it along with a rear monopod now.ive also got a mystic pod that I use only on the range.i did have a accuracy international pod that I sold to buy the pheonix and regreted selling it.that was my favorite pod for my 6.5x47 remmy AICS rifle I used for 1000yds and McQueen's

Personally I don't like Harris type bipods for target work.  I don't find them anywhere near solid or rigid enough.  I prefer the Atlas style ones and if money no object, the shooting Shed, Dolphin Gun Co. or Pheonix bipods.  For hunting, the Harris are ok for their lightness and swivel adjustments but the whole point of any bipod is to provide a good solid footing and I just don't think they excel at that.  Personal preference I hasten to add.

Hi

I use the Snipersystems bipod - similar to Harris but much better engineered and thought out (cants with a locking lever).  About £90, and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.  I've used one on a 308 for years without issue, after 'retiring' a Harris:

http://www.globalrifle.co.uk/snipersystems-mark-ix-tilting-bipod-7-p.asp

I wouldn't buy another Harris again

For F Class FTR - Seb Joypod all the way - buy once, cry once.

2 hours ago, Binnzy said:

Hi

I use the Snipersystems bipod - similar to Harris but much better engineered and thought out (cants with a locking lever).  About £90, and it comes with a lifetime guarantee.  I've used one on a 308 for years without issue, after 'retiring' a Harris:

http://www.globalrifle.co.uk/snipersystems-mark-ix-tilting-bipod-7-p.asp

I wouldn't buy another Harris again

For F Class FTR - Seb Joypod all the way - buy once, cry once.

Is this a joke?

that bipod is a total POS sold by a bunch of monkeys.

No Paddy, not a joke.

I have no affiliation to them, but I have used the bipod weekly for over 5 years without issue and I live in the Scottish Highlands.  My experience is not as you suggest.  Just my view, thats all.

One of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snipersystems-MkIX-9-16-medium-tilting-bipod-w-Podlock-leg-notch-rifle-shooting/311800076530?hash=item4898bb98f2:g:mZAAAOSwMNxXXt4a

Or one of these: http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id46.html

They may be the same company...............I asked if they really were made in England a couple of years ago.

Got no reply..............

Re-Pete

They'll be Chinese made for that money.  Few are UK made except the FT/R type ones made by those already mentioned in this thread.

A1 Decoys do a similar one which USED to be good value at about half the current advertised price, also claimed to be UK made which is probably a load of old crock.  I bought one and have used it for a few years and its ok, certainly no worse than the Harris.  Deben also do a similar one which is better made at around £55.

The trouble with all of these is they bounce far too much, are not solid or steady enough, they are fiddly in use and few are that well made.  For hunting I use a Vanguard tripod or quad sticks anyway in conjunction with an M1908 sling , and for the range, those serious about their shooting probably wouldn't chose a Harris-style bipod anyway, although at club level, they're fine for closer range plinking.

If buying Chinese, the Atlas style ones are better imho.  I have one and it provides a pretty decent solid rest.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:13 AM, meles meles said:

We generally find all bipeds to be cheap, nasty, unreliable things. In our opinion, you can't beat a bean or sand bag...

I have a Harris on my 22WMR bolt action handgun but have six Atlas Bipods on various other rifles. I also like bags and will sometimes shoot over my pack, but carrying sandbags into the canyons for long range shooting is impractical. The Atlas bipods have served me well in that venue.~Andrew

PS: I'm curious. Who is "we"?

@ Andrew I believe it might be the 'royal' we.

Ive owned Harris bipods in the past but now have an Atlas. It's ok, don't know what all the fuss is about over them tbh.

An alternative to the Atlas which looks to be more sturdy is the Accu-tac 

http://www.accu-tac.com/bipods/

Having said all of this, my future bipod will be the Mystic MPOD or if money permits, a SEB Joypod.

Archived