Fox Down at 14:22

silent_varmintor

Hello folks,

Just thought i would share my outing on Sunday. 

I seen the thread here about the vixen calls and i did indeed receive these calls from a couple of members and i am grateful for that. 

I have a U caller remote call that i carried out the external antenna modification to give it a better range. I think i maxed out on this range at 576 yards as i could no longer hear the call with the wind. So on Friday night i uploaded the calls to the caller along with a couple others that i like. For some unknown reason my caller is now playing up. The process is once you plug it into the computer you simply take the calls off and the new ones are inputted in order that you drag and drop them in but for some reason my ones seem to be duplicating themselves on a couple of the numbers, so instead of having 8 calls think i have the choice of 5. 

Once i put the new vixen calls on it i tested to see how loud it was as some of the good vixen ones seem like they have bee recorded from about 5 miles away. All tested good and i had planned to go out on the Sunday to give it a field test. 

As i gave up shooting a couple of years back i sold all of my shooting kit, including my Archer Gen 3 grade A and Pulsar thermal HD series spotter. But now that i am all back into it again i have not yet managed to gain that equipment as of yet so i have no means of night shooting. 

I got to the farm at 13:15 and started the 3/4 mile walk to see to the trail cams as normally do and then set up the rifle. Cams seen to i then set up under an old tree that can only be described as it was hit by lightening and it split right down the centre and separated in 2 halves. First off got the priorities correct and got the flask out and then set up the rifle on the sticks. I then walked down about 20 yards and placed the U caller on a dyke wall facing into the forest which is about 150 yards away from the call. I've seen foxes in this area before so i knew they are about but at this time of the day thats different story. 

Once all settled i then had a go at using the best fox calls, SS and the new blaze call. They take a bit of practice but i now have the hang of them but nothing showed. The time is now 14:15 and i thought sod it i'll just start the vixen call and see what happens. Well bloody hell, not even on for 5 mins and out comes the fox from the forest and just sat his arse on the deck staring to the direction of the call. With being set up under the tree i was near on invisible. I ranged him at 171 yards as he jus sat there. I didn't want to turn off the call to try and get him in closer as the last time i did that with the blaze mouth call the fox came down the gully after calling him out fo the forest and that was the last i seen him. Not this time though, rifle was solid on the sticks, flick off with the safety and 120 grains of hurt seen the fox fold to the deck. Fox down at 14:22.

Rifle is a custom 6.5x47, built by Dave at Valkyrie and i love it. Every time i think i could have another for this or that, i end up realising that there is no need as this rifle is fantastic.

thumbnail_20171203_144026.jpg

thumbnail_20171203_143941.jpg

what I did when I had mine was back up the calls I had on it to comp then delete them from the caller make up a new list as you say 0001 - 0008 and go from there that long since I had one lol 

9 hours ago, Bigkev1 said:

How do you modify u caller to get that range 

You have to open up the unit and find the wire used as the antenna, its just a small coiled up white wire. I then drilled a hole above that and fitted a standard bnc connector and soldered the antenna wire to that. Close up the unit and i also sealed all the edges for possible moisture ingress. The antenna i bought was from eBay for about £6 with a standard BNC fit and thats it. i also desoldered the old wires connecting the unit to the speaker and used better quality wire but that was me just being picky with it. 

I would have to test to see how far it goes but i will need to take someone with me and draw straws for who is walking haha

17 hours ago, blueheckle said:

what I did when I had mine was back up the calls I had on it to comp then delete them from the caller make up a new list as you say 0001 - 0008 and go from there that long since I had one lol 

I will need to try it all again and see if i can get it working. 

the reason i like this one so much is because it is nice and compact. The speaker is loud enough and i just don't fancy carrying about a fox pro or similar in my pack as it will take up too much room. 

Archived