Wipe-out for cleaning?

When I bough the .308 the chap sold me some juice called 'wipe-out' and some round patches to use with a jag. The next shop sold me a roll that you cut to length and use another fitting to use. The on-line vids seem very inconclusive. Some show dipping the various brushes etc in solvents etc.

I want the best for my guns. Is 'wipe-out' a good cleaner that won't cause damage? The bore does look very clean so far, twenty five rounds in and six cleans  :) 

R,

I've used Wipeout Carbon cleaner with the original Wipeout cleaner and their 'tactical' and found them to be quite effective.

There are a slew of good cleaning products on the market now, KRG etc. - you choose one you have faith in.

I only use patches now for normal cleaning. I have used a nylon brush with Isso paste for the throat on some rifles e.g. 7mm SAUM.

Push a couple of wet patch thru' leave it for a while then repeat, seeing what colour the patch comes out. I like the nickle plated jags as there is not doubt where indications of copper comes from then - but that's just me.

T

"Wipe Out" is a pretty good cleaner. It shows when there is copper in the bore as it shows up a Blue tinge on the patches. If you combine it with the "Accelerator" it'll cut down on your cleaning time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wipeout's PatchOut is ok but not a very effective carbon remover on its own.  The Wipeout Tactical is better for that and still removes copper.  You can also use KG1, patch through, run a nylon brush dipped in KG1 through the bore as well, then leave for 20 minutes, dry patch until the powder fouling residue is removed, then apply Wipeout on a patch, patch through, then run a nylon brush through to foam it and leave it for an hour and a half.  Dry patch after that until the patch comes through clean.  Job done.  You won't need to de-copper as often as de-carbon (which is recommended after every outing to prevent hard carbon residues building up).  I'd wait until you notice accuracy dropping off (groups opening up) and note the number of rounds shot.  Deduct 10% margin and use that as a rough guide for the number of shots before de-coppering.  A swift patch through followed by dry patches in between de-coppering (again using Wipeout) will ease future cleaning and help to condition the barrel (corrosion inhibit).  You'll find a regime that works for you with a little more experience.

Ask 20 people what bore cleaner they use and you’ll get 20 different answers. The problem is, they are probably all right.

But.... I don’t think anyone will disagree that nothing removes copper more successfully than Sweets 7.62. It does need careful use though. Whereas with Wipeout and other similar products you can leave them soaking overnight without harm you most definitely cannot with Sweets.

As far a carbon is concerned, I’ve found Wipeout carbon remover to be the best tried to date.

I use wipe out in all my rifles built by dolphins and it's great but in my 243 rpa and 204 with a ruger barel it caused a big opening of my groups so I use kg in those two.Re 308 I read a lot of top shooters in the USA not cleanig until a 100 rounds I've left it to 80 in my FTR rifle with no drop off group size.How ever that's after the barel was run in.

Archived