Interesting but a waste of time as the accuracy of -any- thrower is inadequate for serious loading. I have several including a Harrell BR model, and they won't do any better than roughly +/- 0.3gr with most big stick powders. If you stick with fine ball powder, they're acceptable but few shooters could live with that.

Iv just taken delivery of this little tool, it’s called a powder monkey.. it’s the same principle as a target master except it does away with the thrower. See the link like I said I havnt had a chance to test it yet but I very hopefully. 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOhaiJUhuJ50-0Hj-5AcXR6EPE0u02VoeyWiJ4SXxhVVTLMF1RMuEpnJm7r-0RhQg?key=U3B3VG9sT0Vtd0otX1NZZFQwejNzUldNRlBWMkJR

Chris, I dont want to use it to drop the powder directly on to the case but rather on to the pan of the target master trickler and voila, process is automated and precise with the click of 1 button

tuck, what you posted seems fantastic, does away with the powder measure and all in one. Will look into it tnks:))) Who sells these?

On 11/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, Chris-NZ said:

Interesting but a waste of time as the accuracy of -any- thrower is inadequate for serious loading. I have several including a Harrell BR model, and they won't do any better than roughly +/- 0.3gr with most big stick powders. If you stick with fine ball powder, they're acceptable but few shooters could live with that.

So what part of a Harrell is a waste of time? Owning one? Using one? If Harrells are a waste of time, what do you use? 

As to the video, anybody too lazy to cycle a Harrell has issues. I use a Neil Jones Precision. It will throw even H4350 to a silly accuracy. When I tested 20 charges I got a SD in variance of .06 grains. I certainly don't bother weighing charges with this unit. ~Andrew

On 12/2/2017 at 1:44 PM, Andrew said:

So what part of a Harrell is a waste of time? Owning one? Using one? If Harrells are a waste of time, what do you use? 

..~Andrew

I you re-read what I actually said, you'll see I was trying to say embellishing mechanical throwers will never produce precision, such is the nature of volume-dispensing irregular particles of variable density.

I enjoy using my Harrell but unless it's bulk ammo using ball powder, the thrower is only a preliminary step to final trickling on the A&D. You're clearly far better than me with H4350 (AR2209). Your 0.6grs variance- is that true SD or some sort of ES?? Excuse me but I used to tutor stats..

No. I understand the difference between SD and ES. I did the math on that one just for giggles because the variance -on those loads that had one- was so tiny. I knew that the SD would be silly small as well. That was .06, by the way, not 0.6. That could have been a freak as I only did 20 consecutive measures but it spoke well for the measure -Though at $600 US a copy they should work well. (I wouldn't own one if I hadn't found it at an estate sale for far less) My buddy comes up prairiedogging every July and he brings his Harrell. It is a good measure but not as good as the Jones when accuracy is compared side by side. If I recall correctly, this year he just used my Jones. As you stated, accuracy is pin dot with finer or ball powders.

I reread what you wrote per your suggestion:

"Interesting but a waste of time as the accuracy of -any- thrower is inadequate for serious loading..." 

I think what you intended to say and what you said were two different things. I do that a lot myself! Have you ever used a mechanical / electronic thrower? I can't be bothered myself. I don't trust them. You?~Andrew

I've never used a commercial "dispenser" unit like an RCBS/ Chargemaster.. but have seen them in action. Problem is all of them are based round a strain gauge scale, and as you say, I don't trust them either.

If I wanted to treat myself, I'd add the Auto Thrower and Auto Trickler to my A and D. For the volumes I do, my more manual system is fine.

Getting back to how accurate throwers are, I'd bet that if you looked at a sample of twenty guys using a Harrell to throw H4350, only a very few might come close to an SD of 0.1, and many/? most would be far worse. That's what I based my initial comment on. My old RCBS charger doesn't match the Harrell, but equally, it's not dramatically worse if you concentrate on consistent technique. I however got tired to having to hold my mouth the right way operating a thrower handle, hence the A and D.

We see eye to eye on the 'dispensers' it seems.

I have not weighed a series with my Jones since (other than setting the measure to my scale) but my field work does not show a lack. The last 308 loads I chronographed had 10 random rounds with single digit SD's using a IMR4064 and at range, they performed predictably.

If you get a chance to try a Neil Jones, give it a whirl. I'd be interested in your observations. I hear Jones is going to retire soon. I should send mine in for a cleaning. He is a one man operation from what I've heard...:(~Andrew

Archived