Applier's Remorse: .22 or .25 for FAC air?!

brown dog

As per title, really. 

Just got .25 Air Rifle added to my FAC. Starting to think I should have gone .22.

Looking at reaching to 45-50m at corvids. The rifle I'm interested in is 27 ftlb in .22 and 28 ftlb in .25.

Was attracted by the greater mass of the .25, but starting to think that's seduced me away from the flatter traj of the .22 - and that flatter traj may have been the better choice.

Grateful for thoughts!

28 in .25 isn’t enough mine Was at 45 and was good it’s now running at 53 ftlb and Is even better the 35 grain pellets need some wind behind them 

I think 35 ft in .22 is about right 

Personally, I think the only reason to question .22 over .25 is the greater rifle/pellet availability.

I have a .25 FX Impact (marmite gun) which is used 50/50 for bunnies and corvids. I agree with Aggy that .25 really shines with 45-55ftlbs (although the Impact is very adjustable which is handy if barn shooting rats or pigeons at 15-25 yards). If you're not going to shoot much more than 50 yards (50 yards should be mostly meat and drink for any decent FAC gun) .25 air at 45-55lbs on corvids/bunnies is an excellent choice. Mine runs just under 50ft lbs and the 34gr .25 pellets really give them a good thwack.

.25 will be as flat as .22 if you push it fast enough, or flatter fue to higher BC, 28 is pretty slow  for a .25 so will be loopy - get something capable of pushing your chosen pellet weight around 900 fps and your regrets won't be long lived I'm sure!

Archived