Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Big Al

6BRA

Recommended Posts

Now for another daft question! I’ve been to a couple of Benchrest comps at Diggle, and used my 7mm with Fclass bypod. Now if I get a Benchrest rifle I intend to have it inlet to take bypod as I want to shoot some Fclass comps with it.

would I be able to use the 6br rifle with a bypod ? Until sufficient foods are available for a Benchrest front rest ?

 Cheers Nick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it should be called the big bad wolf 😆.the rifle must be as heavy as Emily.

Having my safes in the attic a 50lb rifle would be a barsteward to put away 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t like to be in the bedroom if the dam thing came through the ceiling !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nick 53 said:

Now for another daft question! I’ve been to a couple of Benchrest comps at Diggle, and used my 7mm with Fclass bypod. Now if I get a Benchrest rifle I intend to have it inlet to take bypod as I want to shoot some Fclass comps with it.

would I be able to use the 6br rifle with a bypod ? Until sufficient foods are available for a Benchrest front rest ?

 Cheers Nick 

Yes you could use a bipod, its your choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most bipods are far inferior to a front-rest for shooting off a bench though. The wider F-Class bipods are actually wider than the benches and don't fit. Any reasonably wide bipod moves you over to a central position behind the bench and away from the correct / natural seated position in the rear cut-out section. That's not to say it can't be done and there have been many good groups shot off bipods at Diggle, but it does make life harder than it need be or ideally would be - a self-imposed handicap.

Depending on what you have in mind rifle wise remember weights too. F-Open allows up to 22lb all-in weight (including any bipod used) and this takes you into HG Benchrest class. Until the Lenton family, Bald Headed Geordie, and Big Al started using real 'Heavy Guns', this was what most HG competitors used, an F/O rifle. A typical F/O rifle chambered for effective cartridges in that discipline such as the 284 now struggles against 6BRs, Dashers etc in proper 40lb + HGs. Good fun and it tells you how well your F-Class rifle and ammunition really perform when the conditions are mellow, but these rifles move about on the bench too much under recoil and that slows down your rate of fire and also makes it harder to stay on the required pinpoint precision aim. (That is the primary purpose of having a truly heavy rifle. Whilst a small part of the extra mass is about the final bit of enhancement of the precision potential, most of it is there to have gravity tie the rifle down to the bench as much as possible.)

Conversely, keeping to Light Gun (17lb) restricts the utility of the rifle in F-Class unless you're planning on a light, short-barrel piece chambered for a light recoiling 6 or 6.5mm cartridge for mid-range matches.

I prefer a bipod these days to a front-rest for F-Open for all cartridges not just light recoiling numbers. When I say 'bipod' though, I mean really wide footprint and stable numbers of 2/3 metre or so, the main trio being the Tier-One 'Carbon', Dolphin AB, and Shooting Shed 'Stotteben' - all unsuitable for Diggle's benches. To get around that and have a front-rest friendly 3-inch wide forend you can have a recessed Anshutz accessory rail inletted into the forend bottom, or do what I do with my dual-use F/O and BR HG rigs - have them built in a Dolphin or other modular stock and switch between F/O and F/TR forends as required depending on the competition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big Al said:

Yes you could use a bipod, its your choice.

Nick - you could use a bi-pod BUT one of the rules of benchrest is that the front or back rest cannot be attached to the rifle.  Now we don't pull anyone up for this as they are usually new shooters trying the game - however, if you happened to break a record, or win, or shoot small-group, it wouldn't count.

Usually - if your rifle has a three-inch wide, flat fore-end there will be plenty of rests you can borrow. (Shouldn't have sold that SEB Nick!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes if only I could of been able to keep the seb rest. , ! Nothing worst than a interfering wife .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Laurie, I do have a Dolphin Fclass bypod so for time being I will use this , as for scoring points I shall wait till I have the correct Non attach front rest . I shall use the shooting as extra trigger time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was pleasing to give the 6BRA its maiden UK benchrest victory in round 4 of the UKBRA Heavy Gun Championship at Diggle Ranges today. 

Conditions were horrid to say the least with heavy rain at times and winds gusting from a measured 9mph-20mph, it made the shooting very challenging. It was never a day for the smallest of groups or aggregates, but I was pleased with a win none the less. On days like this its about shooting smaller than everyone else that matters so Im glad to have done that.

 

IMG_2471.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, Big Al said:

It was pleasing to give the 6BRA its maiden UK benchrest victory in round 4 of the UKBRA Heavy Gun Championship at Diggle Ranges today. 

Conditions were horrid to say the least with heavy rain at times and winds gusting from a measured 9mph-20mph, it made the shooting very challenging. It was never a day for the smallest of groups or aggregates, but I was pleased with a win none the less. On days like this its about shooting smaller than everyone else that matters so Im glad to have done that.

 

IMG_2471.jpg

Well done Al

The Big dog Is a force to be reakoned with.....:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, very well shot by Big Al - and also UKVer Trigger Squeezer who took 3rd place in Light Gun.

Conditions were not ideal but even so, our German friend Jochen Schulz shot a fine 1.936 incher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, Big Al said:

It was pleasing to give the 6BRA its maiden UK benchrest victory in round 4 of the UKBRA Heavy Gun Championship at Diggle Ranges today. 

Conditions were horrid to say the least with heavy rain at times and winds gusting from a measured 9mph-20mph, it made the shooting very challenging. It was never a day for the smallest of groups or aggregates, but I was pleased with a win none the less. On days like this its about shooting smaller than everyone else that matters so Im glad to have done that.

 

IMG_2471.jpg

Well done Al

The Big dog Is a force to be reakoned with.....:P.

Was Trigg using his 284

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Yes, very well shot by Big Al - and also UKVer Trigger Squeezer who took 3rd place in Light Gun.

Conditions were not ideal but even so, our German friend Jochen Schulz shot a fine 1.936 incher.

Thanks Vince.

How did you feel the conditions compared on Saturday between the morning and afternoon relays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, No i deer said:

Well done Al

The Big dog Is a force to be reakoned with.....:P.

Was Trigg using his 284

hi Al i made a bad decision to play with m,y 6mm br running sweet but slow load 2650 fps with 107 sierra .i think the 284 would have been wiser in that wind. Had a cracking day mind i think bad conditions make a shoot far more fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/12/2017 at 7:02 PM, Big Al said:

It was pleasing to give the 6BRA its maiden UK benchrest victory in round 4 of the UKBRA Heavy Gun Championship at Diggle Ranges today. 

Conditions were horrid to say the least with heavy rain at times and winds gusting from a measured 9mph-20mph, it made the shooting very challenging. It was never a day for the smallest of groups or aggregates, but I was pleased with a win none the less. On days like this its about shooting smaller than everyone else that matters so Im glad to have done that.

 

IMG_2471.jpg

Well done Al

The Big dog Is a force to be reakoned with.....:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes the wind does make it more fun providing it's not too gusty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big Al said:

Thanks Vince.

How did you feel the conditions compared on Saturday between the morning and afternoon relays?

To be honest, I don't think there was a lot of difference. Looking at the top 10 smallest aggs, they were evenly split between Light and Heavy Gun so that suggests conditions were similar morning/afternoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

To be honest, I don't think there was a lot of difference. Looking at the top 10 smallest aggs, they were evenly split between Light and Heavy Gun so that suggests conditions were similar morning/afternoon.

Hi Vince,  hope everyone had a good day and some good results.    Will the results spreadsheet be published on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Les - I'll send you one.

Can you send me one as well, please, Vince?

Cheers. Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How was the verticles this time the Al.

Did you change anything in the load or just ran them again....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, No i deer said:

How was the verticles this time the Al.

Did you change anything in the load or just ran them again....?

Conditions in the month between comps didn't allow an opportunity for any meaningful testing so I ran the same load.

My four competition groups from the weekend showed verticals of 1.2", 1.7", 3.5" and 4.5". This doesn't really tell me anything other than  Diggle is a very frustrating place to shoot benchrest :)

I really doubt the topography of the range could be any worse or less suited to shooting the smallest groups. I think when the wind is blowing up/across the valley (which it seems to do most shoots) it plays with your vertical as well as your horizontal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like that on both the FCSA shoots at F range at sennybridge and Salisbury.Have you shot on stickledown at Bisley.since they cut all the trees down all the left handside the fishtail wind can go from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock and back in minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Conditions in the month between comps didn't allow an opportunity for any meaningful testing so I ran the same load.

My four competition groups from the weekend showed verticals of 1.2", 1.7", 3.5" and 4.5". This doesn't really tell me anything other than  Diggle is a very frustrating place to shoot benchrest :)

I really doubt the topography of the range could be any worse or less suited to shooting the smallest groups. I think when the wind is blowing up/across the valley (which it seems to do most shoots) it plays with your vertical as well as your horizontal.

Frustrating is the word.

I have shot F class, benchrest and fun shoots at Diggle for many years now,  and in all honesty I have never been able to say that I have been able to accurately read the wind at Diggle apart from one F class National shoot when I actually could make sense out of the wind flags and always made the right wind call (I felt I was the horse whisperer and was 'at one' with the wind) and hit the V bull or just outside it in the bull 5.   But the day after I shot like a novice.     I am sure that some can and do it successfully which makes me very envious.   

I have given up trying to analyse vertical or shots blown out (or in) as it can drive you crazy and some shots make no sense.    So I now go to Diggle for the beer and curry the night before if making a weekend out of it and just relax and enjoy the craic/shooting with fellow neurotics (some of which over-analyse their results, and others who like me don't really give a rats ass anymore).    

Just my musings on Diggle and not 'aimed' at any individuals who need therapy lol :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy