6BRA

Big Al

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 6BR is a superb cartridge as standard and there are several variations or 'improvements' - 6BRA, 6BRX, 6BRDX, 6Dasher & 6Norma Dasher.  The standard 6BR, the 6BRA and the Norma Dasher all retain the long neck whereas the others lose a little in seeking more capacity.

Although the 6Dasher still holds the world 1000 yard 10-shot group agg. - the standard 6BR holds the UK 1000yd Light Gun record for 5-shots in 2.462 inches (Tony Lenton 14.8.16 Diggle Ranges).

All the 6BR derivatives of exceptional performance at 600 to 1000 yards in benchrest competition.  Take your pick - get a good 'smith to build your gun, do your load-dev. and hope for a little bit of luck on the day!

Al - I look forward to shooting against you with the 6BRA - is it for 1000 yard or 600 yd?

Just a little more,though Vince has summed up well-prob not much between all the established 6BR derivatives.

But if you want to be in on wildcatting ,look up Pat Fulgham's artivle in 6BR Forum "6BRA Forum-How to Guide". No doubt some more standard version will emerge-maybe our own 6BR (Big)Al. Some tweaking might allow  modified Dasher dies,rather than custom etc -t's really a slightly short Dasher,plus shoulder mod. Not everyone is a Pat Fulgham...This may just extend barrel life*but these babies tend to get run pretty hot....but then so do bigger capacity numbers like the 243 Ackley,and it's spin offs;close to 3000fps +/_ 50 fps seems where most find joy;an  accuracy edge may well be more important-and the "6BR bunch " seem to have that.

The 6BRA mentioning article  (Accurate Shooter bulletin)in the past day or so on the shoot at  Missoula makes intersting reading-as debut of the 6BRA by two of the top ten competitors (so eight were not shooting it....) and the new cartridge didn't win it all. OPening pictures are a bit misleading,and their shooter beat  the better 6BRA shooter in one comp-there really is little detail. But it's all very tight...probably relevant too was the 2-4 mph wind,same for all of course,but very helpful if you want very small groups...oh,and a 'new' 103 g bullet,and maybe forend...as said,no detail though.

*Rereading Landis '22 varmint rifles' and "Hunting with the 22" a couple of nights ago-the shoulder angle advantages were being explored way back in the thirties/forties-it's not at all new.

gbal

Be nice to hit the 1000 yards!! Forgive me only kidding ! But a group that size at that distance would make me smile to I pop my clogs !

6 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Al - I look forward to shooting against you with the 6BRA - is it for 1000 yard or 600 yd?

The plan is to build a Light Gun in 6BRA for April Vince but my plans often change faster than a Diggle wind flag!.

That said Ive re-chambered my Krieger Dasher barrel and its on the Big Dog at the minute hence the picture of fire formed case. If I can get some satisfactory load development done in time I will leave it on for the next 600, if not the 6.5x47 barrel will go back on.

I spec'd a resize reamer to go with this 6BRA finisher so Ive been making myself some dies this week, Im happy with the way the brass is re-forming with minimal working.

3 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Is it a no neck turn chamber.how much is gained by the Ackley chamber in this calibre.

Im running a .268 neck, brass is turned to .2655" for the loaded round.

I regularly open out necks with a separate reamer to any size, .271" would be a nice no turn size.

Ackley gives the case around 100fps over a 6BR.

8 hours ago, MJR said:

Be interesting to see velocity compared to .243/6SLR.

Around 2970fps-3000fps seems to be a common sweet spot with another around 3050fps. Once Im happy with an accurate load its speed will be what it is but somewhere in that region I expect. 

What is case neck wall thickness.excuse my ignorance.I am not familiar with 6mm cartridges for quite a few years now.I've only been neck turning 7mm cartridges for 18 months ish.what bullets will you be using.will you be avoiding using any of the outlawed powders.

2 minutes ago, No i deer said:

What is case neck wall thickness.excuse my ignorance.I am not familiar with 6mm cartridges for quite a few years now.I've only been neck turning 7mm cartridges for 18 months ish.what bullets will you be using.will you be avoiding using any of the outlawed powders.

0.0112" neck thickness

105 Hybrids

Varget to begin with, if it doesn't work then H4895, N150 or RL15

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

One tub of varget would last along time in this little cartridge..

Is the 6mm br brass 17 thousandths when new like the other lapua brass or is it thinner.

Can you get donuts fire forming this brass to ackley. ?

220 loads from a tub.

0.0125" wall thickness

Appropriate neck turning will take care of the possibility of donuts.

The applied triggeronometry research time of wildcatters (on shoulder angels),often enhances the subsequent trigger time of ordinary shooters.

The pioneers-like Landis et al-were onto this generations ago-there isn't much that is genuinely innovative,so carry on the good work,Al

Much to be said for different degrees,in any sense.    :-)

gbal

Archived