Breaking in New Rifle

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty neutral on the barrel break in argument but looked at it this way:  Spending a lot on a new rifle, if some barrel manufacturers (who have no specific agenda or shares with bullet manufacturers) suggest that it is good practice, then for the sake of a few boxes of factory ammo, it seems a sensible step for peace of mind if for nothing else.

I cleaned mine when bought new to remove any proof house fouling, then shot one, cleaned one for a few rounds, then shot 3, cleaned once for perhaps another 9 rounds before shooting 5 and cleaning once for about 15 rounds then shot as usual. It was really noticeable that from new, the barrel copper fouled very quickly with long 140gr bullets (6.5mm) but with a lot of copper surface area being swaged, I'm not entirely surprised.  A lot of coppering was obvious when looking at an angle across the muzzle.  After about 100 rounds, it is still copper fouling but nowhere near as badly as originally so perhaps that is the result of a new barrel bedding in slightly.  I haven't tested MVs yet but aim to now that a fair few rounds have been put down the barrel.

21 hours ago, Villadave59 said:

To be honest i didn't know until joining this forum that a barrel needed "running in " in the past I've cleaned the barrel to remove factory/proof house muck and then after use Each time.

My point exactly. In that what you didn't know didn't hurt, did it?.. (previous barrels)

Another way to say it?.. 'ignorance is bliss' ;)

Archived