Barrel contour - Sassen barrels - pictures ?

treetop

Hi, 

hopefully someone can help me, 

i am looking to rebarrel a 223 Rem 700, and I can't make up my mind as to what barrel contour will serve my purpose.

i want to end up at either 22" or 24" and I want something that is not to heavy to carry, but not as thin as a standard sporter.

i have been looking at there S5 Mauser medium sporter, or there S6 Mauser Heavy Sporter 

Have any of you guys got one of these ? do any of you have pictures of these ? 

I would really appreciate your help

thanks

al. 

Why not Remington Varmint which is a common Sassen profile?

Its 20mm at the muzzle and at 22" isn't heavy.

I profile a lot of my own blanks and this one is popular below, again its 20mm at the muzzle but running parallel until the swamp, (the Rem Varmint tapers towards the swamp so is heavier) it save a little weight over a Rem Varmint but still gives a decent amount of material around the crown to allow for larger moderator threads if required.  It will also hold its accuracy for a few more shots before any heat induced wandering occurs that is more common with thin sporter profiles.

Alternatively deal with someone who can profile the barrel to fit your stock the way you want it to.

IMG_2297.jpg

Hi, 

thanks for the pic. & the link ..

the he pictures are the most useful as I can see what it's like to the eye..

i had a Rem varmint barrel & I have never been taken with it - looks wise , 

i like your idea of a parallel up to the swamp, and that's more the look I want to achieve .

cheers

pal. 

In my experience it’s virtually impossible to make a decision from a picture of a particular profile. You can’t beat hands on but it’s not easy ofcourse. Even looking at barrels pre chamber you will find it difficult. 

The best way is to get hands on with a finished rifle if at all possible. I had a rifle chambered in the S5 contour you mention above but when I had the finished item in my hands it was slightly heavier in profile than I anticipated. 

Very true, 

It is hard when you can't just pick one up off the shelf.

however my theory was, with a good picture & the dimensions on paper you get a fair idea of the look, based against what you already have in the gun cabinet, should give you close enough to gamble 

The Rem light varmint is a nice profile and will do what you want. Its a std sassen profile too. They will make you any profile, but if its non std there is a programming charge.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:07 PM, Big Al said:

I profile a lot of my own blanks and this one is popular below, again its 20mm at the muzzle but running parallel until the swamp, (the Rem Varmint tapers towards the swamp so is heavier) it save a little weight over a Rem Varmint but still gives a decent amount of material around the crown to allow for larger moderator threads if required.  It will also hold its accuracy for a few more shots before any heat induced wandering occurs that is more common with thin sporter profiles.

Alternatively deal with someone who can profile the barrel to fit your stock the way you want it to.

IMG_2297.jpg

Nice job Alan?

On 18/11/2017 at 1:07 PM, Big Al said:

IMG_2297.jpg

I can strongly recommend big Al , he has just rebarelled my Tikka T3 into a 6.5x47L 

His work and knowledge is fantastic , very nice to talk to and takes time explains what he Will do very helpful , first class bloke , cheers Al , I will post some pics of the rifle and load development ,

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, baldie said:

The Rem light varmint is a nice profile and will do what you want. Its a std sassen profile too. They will make you any profile, but if its non std there is a programming charge.

Hi how much lighter in pounds would the light varmint profile be over the standard varmint profile.

Thanks

I don't know off the top of my head. If you give Adam at Sassen a ring, he should be able to tell you.

The light varmint is a nice compromise between rigidity when hot, and a barrel that can be carried all day, without the "walkability " of a std sporter weight.

3 hours ago, stephentri said:

Hi how much lighter in pounds would the light varmint profile be over the standard varmint profile.

Thanks

I would say it will be around half a pound so hardly a significant saving.

If you compare a T3 porter barrel of 20" with a varmint barrel of the same length there is around a pound difference in the barrel weights, a light varmint will be half way between the two.

Archived