John,

I was jumping them 10 thou in a 1:13 twist Trueflite barrel.   I don't have any records of trying anything else so they obviously shot well enough initially to make any further testing futile.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Just to add to the confusion; I cannot get them to group in my F TR 32” barrel rifle regardless of any seating depth, and I’ve tried everything between 5 thou to 30 thou jump. I’ve also tried 3 different powders. 

However, my AW loves them especially with a 5 thou jump.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 1000 of these to try and ring a gong out to 1000 yds just for fun.

The rifle is just a bog standard Howa 1500 and I just wanted to try something out of curiosity and because I have time to play.

I already had a working load for 168 Grn A Max which works far better than I can out to 600yds.
I worked out that something close to 2600fps would be required as this is what I use for the 168 Grn, and previous testing with Sierra 2155 had provided acceptable results.

I did all the internet research, and spoke to a few people whom I know use the HBC bullets, and I eventually decided to work up two loads using N140 and N150.

I found the lands and settled on a COL of 2.880 (30 thou jump), and using QL I started at 90% case fill with N140 and 95% with N150 and carried out the OCW ladder with six charges in 0.5 Grn increments. All bullets and cases were weighed and batched into 0.02 Grn lots.

I found a node in each powder and ran a second OCW with 5 rounds in 0.2 Grn increments going either side of the node and with the target back at 340 Yds.

The N150 produced a 0.63 MOA group at 47 Grn with absolutely no pressure signs.

The N140 produced a best group of 0.7 MOA at 46.3 Grn but exhibited cratering.

I made up another batch of ten rounds and moved the target back to 600 yds. The N150 was still sub MOA and clearly a group but the N140 wasn't a clear group. All told the results were far better than I achieved with 2155's.

I never tried them out to anything further, and still have a box and a half of HBC which I will probably never use, as I would need to change the barrel on the Howa to reliably hit the 1000 yrd gong, and I am looking to change to a 6.5 CM next year.

Archived